GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The possibilities of Gamecube"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/07/01 at 14:17
Regular
Hi! Firstly, this is my first ever post on this site, so thanks to anyone who is actually reading this! I, like a lot of Nintendo fans, have been blown away by the recent un-veiling of the Gamecube, and it's games. This one console, for me at least, seems to have the potential to restore faith in gamers following the PS2 and it's lack of truly quality games and the XBox's apparent principle of power over gameplay. Don't get me wrong, both those aforementioned consoles have a vast majority of great features (as soon as I raise the money I intend to get myself a PS2), but with the Gamecube, Nintendo have so far engineered themselves into a position that SHOULD see them once again become the market leaders. I emphasise "should", because Nintendo have, especially in the last few years, really under-performed, considering the quality of their products. The N64 was over-priced, delayed, and suffered from a dearth of software (inevitably, the majority of games that were released proved to be classic titles for many different reasons). My point is that I feel this time, rather ironically, whereas Nintendo seem to have got everything right (a launch ahead of XBox, low price point, stunning games), the Gamecube will still suffer in terms of it's reception by the public. Already I've heard criticism that it's too "childish", and that the games are mere "sequels", but the fact is the one thing that the Gamecube will definately be is FUN to play (surely that's the overall point of gaming?), and even though most of the games thus far announced could be regarded as "sequels", they're Nintendo sequels, and should possess a level of ingenuity rarely seen in terms of follow-up videogames. Are other people concerned that the Gamecube may not reach the massive audience it deserves? Do you agree that, in terms of potential, the Gamecube is superiour to the other next-gen consoles? In a perfect industry the Gamecube would be the biggest console success since the Playstation, acheiving the same crossover success. Guess we'll have to wait and see.....
Wed 25/07/01 at 10:47
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Hey, CREEP. This forum ain't big enough for the two of us!

So I think I'll go away and leave more room in it for you.
Tue 24/07/01 at 20:06
Regular
well im really not that bothered who wins the console war as long as ive got a gamecube and nintendo and rare are making games for it, cause lets face it the sales figures dont efect the quality of the games.
Tue 24/07/01 at 14:42
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
before i start my post i would like to point out that i own both nintendo and sony hardware, and that my veiw point is from a neutral perspective.

i personally think that nintendo or microsoft will have a hard time competing with sony due to the fact that the PS2 will have been out about 18 months (and 2 christmas's) before either GC or X box hits europe. Sony, despite a bit of a shakey euro release are on target with their projected sales figures. as of march it was 10,000,000 PS2's sold worldwide.

both companys will have to go great guns just to stay in the race
Tue 24/07/01 at 13:33
Regular
hey creep, good post. but please try and split it into paragraphs. makes its much easier to read.
Tue 24/07/01 at 09:54
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
hi all you new guys , hope you have a ace stay here !!!
Tue 24/07/01 at 00:01
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
I'm not sure if anyone noticed this but after Nintendo acknowledged that the name of the new console wasn't Dolphin they called it the Next Generation Console (NGC) and NGC is also Nintendo GameCube. Also I hope they bring out a light gun and maybe the classic of DuckHunt in a bigger game like Donkey Kong the original in Donkey Kong 64.
Mon 23/07/01 at 19:57
Hello to the people who have just arrived. Must be recruitment day.
Mon 23/07/01 at 19:32
In my view the gamecube will be the superior console of the 3 not only will it be getting all nintendo's great games but I hear that it will also be getting metal gear solid 2 and final fantasy 11 which will probably be two of the PS2's best games. (not hard since rest suck) There is also a lot of 3rd party developers bringing games to the console.
Mon 23/07/01 at 16:07
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Creep, you're aaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllright! :) Welcome to the battlefield!
Mon 23/07/01 at 14:17
Hi! Firstly, this is my first ever post on this site, so thanks to anyone who is actually reading this! I, like a lot of Nintendo fans, have been blown away by the recent un-veiling of the Gamecube, and it's games. This one console, for me at least, seems to have the potential to restore faith in gamers following the PS2 and it's lack of truly quality games and the XBox's apparent principle of power over gameplay. Don't get me wrong, both those aforementioned consoles have a vast majority of great features (as soon as I raise the money I intend to get myself a PS2), but with the Gamecube, Nintendo have so far engineered themselves into a position that SHOULD see them once again become the market leaders. I emphasise "should", because Nintendo have, especially in the last few years, really under-performed, considering the quality of their products. The N64 was over-priced, delayed, and suffered from a dearth of software (inevitably, the majority of games that were released proved to be classic titles for many different reasons). My point is that I feel this time, rather ironically, whereas Nintendo seem to have got everything right (a launch ahead of XBox, low price point, stunning games), the Gamecube will still suffer in terms of it's reception by the public. Already I've heard criticism that it's too "childish", and that the games are mere "sequels", but the fact is the one thing that the Gamecube will definately be is FUN to play (surely that's the overall point of gaming?), and even though most of the games thus far announced could be regarded as "sequels", they're Nintendo sequels, and should possess a level of ingenuity rarely seen in terms of follow-up videogames. Are other people concerned that the Gamecube may not reach the massive audience it deserves? Do you agree that, in terms of potential, the Gamecube is superiour to the other next-gen consoles? In a perfect industry the Gamecube would be the biggest console success since the Playstation, acheiving the same crossover success. Guess we'll have to wait and see.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.