GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gravity Crash (PSN)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Gravity Crash'.
Tue 15/12/09 at 13:04
"possibly impossible"
Back in 1986 I was at school and also happened to be into computer games. One of the best games of that year was a little gem called Thrust. It involved a little spaceship being tugged by the forces of gravity and the idea was to make your way through twisty caverns to pick up a ball and take it back out into space.

Fast Forward to 2009 and Gravity Crash on the Playstation Network. It’s a spookily similar game but with some nice modern touches. In one respect it’s very retro with all its vector style scenery and basic gameplay, but then it adds new HD effects, stranded spacemen and some cool gravity inverting water as well as boasting full 1080p and 60fps.

That’s not to say it’s really any more complicated than Thrust was back in the day, but you know the old saying ‘If it ain’t broke…” and Gravity Crash plays this off really well. It’s playable and it has a techno-style soundtrack that you’ll either love or tear your ears off to.

But the biggest difference and the thing that really makes it work the £7 or so to download is the introduction of a level editor. That’s right, just like Little Big Planet, this game will have levels designed by everyone and their grandmother (assuming their grandmother likes 80’s style gravity based arcade games) sitting online for you to download. Which means, just like Sackboy’s adventures, the game never ends.

Playing Gravity Crash is simple in principle; destroy a specific amount of enemies and head for the exit. On top of that, though, you can collect stranded spacemen for added points. Coming back to a map to finish faster and get more points is, as with most 80’s arcade games, a big factor in the game.

But despite it being fairly simple, the control method and difficulty levels are throwbacks to that era several centuries ago too. Don’t expect to get this game and be a master of it in a day, this is Old Skool in difficulty.

Creators, Just Add Water, have also added multiplayer in the form of 3 modes; Deathmatch (a straight floaty shootout), Race (a gravity induced race) and Gem collection, which is self explanatory. They all sort of work, but not as well as I would have liked. It’s nice to have them there though and the races can be fairly fun.

Gravity Crash is a little gem of a game, especially for the low price point and with it’s nice simple level editor it should ensure you’re playing over and over, it does have a few faults in difficulty level and the weaker multiplayer, but overall it’s another good example of simple downloadable games at their best.

8/10
Tue 15/12/09 at 13:04
"possibly impossible"
Back in 1986 I was at school and also happened to be into computer games. One of the best games of that year was a little gem called Thrust. It involved a little spaceship being tugged by the forces of gravity and the idea was to make your way through twisty caverns to pick up a ball and take it back out into space.

Fast Forward to 2009 and Gravity Crash on the Playstation Network. It’s a spookily similar game but with some nice modern touches. In one respect it’s very retro with all its vector style scenery and basic gameplay, but then it adds new HD effects, stranded spacemen and some cool gravity inverting water as well as boasting full 1080p and 60fps.

That’s not to say it’s really any more complicated than Thrust was back in the day, but you know the old saying ‘If it ain’t broke…” and Gravity Crash plays this off really well. It’s playable and it has a techno-style soundtrack that you’ll either love or tear your ears off to.

But the biggest difference and the thing that really makes it work the £7 or so to download is the introduction of a level editor. That’s right, just like Little Big Planet, this game will have levels designed by everyone and their grandmother (assuming their grandmother likes 80’s style gravity based arcade games) sitting online for you to download. Which means, just like Sackboy’s adventures, the game never ends.

Playing Gravity Crash is simple in principle; destroy a specific amount of enemies and head for the exit. On top of that, though, you can collect stranded spacemen for added points. Coming back to a map to finish faster and get more points is, as with most 80’s arcade games, a big factor in the game.

But despite it being fairly simple, the control method and difficulty levels are throwbacks to that era several centuries ago too. Don’t expect to get this game and be a master of it in a day, this is Old Skool in difficulty.

Creators, Just Add Water, have also added multiplayer in the form of 3 modes; Deathmatch (a straight floaty shootout), Race (a gravity induced race) and Gem collection, which is self explanatory. They all sort of work, but not as well as I would have liked. It’s nice to have them there though and the races can be fairly fun.

Gravity Crash is a little gem of a game, especially for the low price point and with it’s nice simple level editor it should ensure you’re playing over and over, it does have a few faults in difficulty level and the weaker multiplayer, but overall it’s another good example of simple downloadable games at their best.

8/10
Wed 16/12/09 at 19:58
Regular
"And in last place.."
Nice review pb. I'm pretty sure I've downloaded a demo for this but not got round to trying it yet. I expect to be quite tempted by it.
Thu 17/12/09 at 16:57
"possibly impossible"
It's just great retro fun, though I've since downloaded Pixeljunk Shooter and that's even better.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.