GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doing my head in"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/01/07 at 20:59
Regular
Right so heres the story so far, I started a webring of and as I thought would happen its getting more popular.the one I choose was from Bravenet and is limited to 100 sites, more than enough but has a small advert with it. Now after some trawling around the net (tenious link there i think) I have found a more suitable webring that is free, BUT I need to do some uploading into the CGI folder and change some bits and chmod other bits etc etc and to be honest it scares me! has anyone tried doing this before? and how risky is it? its a perl script I think?

Its caled Rinlink and requires.......

System Requirements
This is what's needed for a successful and complete installation of Ringlink:

A web server with CGI capabilities
Perl 5.005 or later with the modules included in the Perl distribution installed
The libwww-perl bundle (needed for the checker to work)
The zlib compression library and the CPAN module Compress::Zlib (needed for creating and extracting zip files)
A configuration that allows email messages to be sent from a script to any email address, either via a command line MTA (mail transfer agent) such as sendmail, or directly from Perl

Any help in getting this installed and working would be greatly appreciated

Kev
Mon 15/01/07 at 22:18
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Digitrader wrote:
> and how risky is it?

Risky? I dont think anybodys life will be in danger. :)
I cant tell you if freeola hosting fulfils all the requirements other than theres perl support (and theres nothing extravagant with the other requirements). I assume it comes with installation instructions, you've nothing to lose by trying to follow them. If you come up against a problem at least theres something specific you can post about and try to get help with.
Worst case it doesnt work, you delete it and go find something else.
Mon 15/01/07 at 20:59
Regular
Right so heres the story so far, I started a webring of and as I thought would happen its getting more popular.the one I choose was from Bravenet and is limited to 100 sites, more than enough but has a small advert with it. Now after some trawling around the net (tenious link there i think) I have found a more suitable webring that is free, BUT I need to do some uploading into the CGI folder and change some bits and chmod other bits etc etc and to be honest it scares me! has anyone tried doing this before? and how risky is it? its a perl script I think?

Its caled Rinlink and requires.......

System Requirements
This is what's needed for a successful and complete installation of Ringlink:

A web server with CGI capabilities
Perl 5.005 or later with the modules included in the Perl distribution installed
The libwww-perl bundle (needed for the checker to work)
The zlib compression library and the CPAN module Compress::Zlib (needed for creating and extracting zip files)
A configuration that allows email messages to be sent from a script to any email address, either via a command line MTA (mail transfer agent) such as sendmail, or directly from Perl

Any help in getting this installed and working would be greatly appreciated

Kev

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.