GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"is there anything original out there ?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/07/01 at 10:43
Regular
Does anyone out there feel the same despair as me that there are not a lot of new and innovative game ideas out there ?
Everything seems to be created from the same basic set:
i.e. Football,First person shooter,Driving,Fighting,Platform
etc.
But why can companies not come up with something new (apart from MGS2, before anyone starts giving out).
For example, what if a game was developed that combined a mixture of multiple genres ?
How about 'The great escape'-
Starts off as a racing game where you are trying to avoid being captured. As the game progresses you eventually do get captured (not sure how that would work, if you were going to get captured no matter what happens.... maybe the longer you avoid capture, the more 'skilled' you become for later levels).
Anyhow, once you get captured you are put into a POW camp from which you need to escape. This can then switch to MGS type play or FPS. Eventually you get involved in a football game, so play style switches to normal for soccer games.
During the match, if you can score enough goals you get a chance to escape again, and so on.
Wouldn't this be a good mix in a game ? Or could it end up being such a mixed bag of game types that no single part gets developed to its full potential ?
There shouldn't be a memory problem for such a game, after all the HDD is on the way.
I started thinking about this when I saw that the new Bond game has driving and FPS elements. Hope both are developed properly.
Just wondering what other people out there think about this (not the Bond game, but mixed formats in general)?
Also if anyone, or even a group of us could come up with a new game idea, maybe this is the forum to get peoples opinion on it ? Who knows, we might even come up with something original with a chance of getting developed.
Wed 25/07/01 at 09:14
wrote:
> The thing is that I believe that forums like this are the ideal place to generate new ideas. Where better to get ideas from but from the people who play the games ?
I'm not too interested in selling anything !
Tue 24/07/01 at 19:56
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
The title exemplified wouldn't be original though - it is mearly a mish-mash of established titles. It would also be pointlessly cumbersome to make - you'd need to programe/liscence a number of game engines or use one multipurpose one that would fulfil none of the tasks properly.

Thing is, if you could come up with a original and money spinning game idea you'd be presenting it to a board of Japaneese developers, not touting it about the SR boards...
Tue 24/07/01 at 19:00
Regular
"You Bum!!"
I agree with you lot though. PS2 needs more enthusiastic developers who can take risks and try out new ideas. Say Shenmue. It was an original idea and it suceeded. On the Dreamcast.rubbish. Only joking

:)
Tue 24/07/01 at 14:06
Regular
"not dead"
kevd wrote:
> Does anyone out there feel the same despair as me that there are not
> a lot of new and innovative game ideas out there ?

*Throws cat amongst pidgeons*

There are plenty of new and innovative ideas out there - just not on the Playstation2 :-p
Tue 24/07/01 at 09:51
wrote:
> I know. But that just reiterates the point that no one will take the chances that gamers want them to take. And so will we never get a totally new or original idea ?
Tue 24/07/01 at 09:38
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
But developers are wary to take the risk of taking a risk as if it goes gibletwopting they would lose a stack of cash.
Tue 24/07/01 at 09:02
wrote:
> You are right of course, but I feel that it is the developer who takes the risk that will eventually come up with the killer application for their platform.
Mon 23/07/01 at 18:29
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Not a bad idea but it will be very hard for developers to include all different modes in one game. I mean the football section which you are talking about would not be good because it takes a while to create a good football game. Mixing all the different genres might not go together but they could be included as mini-games in some titles.

It would take companies ages to ram all the sections together and there is no guarantee that the title is actually going to be a major bigseller. Developers nowadays do not want to take any risks and they stick with tried out formulas.
Mon 23/07/01 at 10:43
Does anyone out there feel the same despair as me that there are not a lot of new and innovative game ideas out there ?
Everything seems to be created from the same basic set:
i.e. Football,First person shooter,Driving,Fighting,Platform
etc.
But why can companies not come up with something new (apart from MGS2, before anyone starts giving out).
For example, what if a game was developed that combined a mixture of multiple genres ?
How about 'The great escape'-
Starts off as a racing game where you are trying to avoid being captured. As the game progresses you eventually do get captured (not sure how that would work, if you were going to get captured no matter what happens.... maybe the longer you avoid capture, the more 'skilled' you become for later levels).
Anyhow, once you get captured you are put into a POW camp from which you need to escape. This can then switch to MGS type play or FPS. Eventually you get involved in a football game, so play style switches to normal for soccer games.
During the match, if you can score enough goals you get a chance to escape again, and so on.
Wouldn't this be a good mix in a game ? Or could it end up being such a mixed bag of game types that no single part gets developed to its full potential ?
There shouldn't be a memory problem for such a game, after all the HDD is on the way.
I started thinking about this when I saw that the new Bond game has driving and FPS elements. Hope both are developed properly.
Just wondering what other people out there think about this (not the Bond game, but mixed formats in general)?
Also if anyone, or even a group of us could come up with a new game idea, maybe this is the forum to get peoples opinion on it ? Who knows, we might even come up with something original with a chance of getting developed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.