GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Guide - Scratched Discs]"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/12/09 at 20:32
Regular
"How Ironic"
Wether it's a Game or a CD; wether it's an old game/CD, or one of the latest; wether you take extreme care with your discs, or chuck them around, we've all got discs with scratches on. Sometimes, it's not too bad; the scratches are just visible, and don't affect the disc at all. But most of the time, scratches stop the disc running properly, sometimes stopping it from running it all.

My FIFA 09 has been broken for ages now, and recently my CoD 4 got damaged, seeing as my dad knocked my Xbox over. Well, i've never been to a store to get scratches removed, and probably never will. So i started looking for 'home remedies', and thankfully i came across this handy little trick that can be used on games or CDs.

First, i'll explain what a disc is made up of. The top layer is just a thin layer of plastic, beneath which is the actual the data itself. This explains why the depth of a scratch really matters. The deeper the scratch, the bigger the chance that the data has been reached through the plastic and damaged. With most scratches, it is only the plastic layer that takes the scratch.

So how does a scratch on the plastic layer of the disc affect it's ability to work if the data beneath is not damaged? Well, discs are read using a laser. When the laser hits a scratch on the plastic, it stops it reaching the data below it. Quite simply, all disc repair usually does is remove a few layers of the plastic, and hopefully evening out the scratch on the disc.

Down to the process of removing scratches. [b]Only use this process as a last resort or if your disc does not work at all[/b] And please note, this will not remove any scratch, the deepest scratches are incredibly difficult to get rid of.

What you will need:
Scratched Disc
Toothpaste or Brasso (i personally recommend Brasso as it is faster)
A soft cloth

Optional Extras
Disc Polish

I'll do two seperate guides for Toothpaste and Brasso use.

[b]USE THIS GUIDE IF YOU'RE USING TOOTHPASTE[/b]
First of all, place a small amount of toothpaste onto the disc. Using your fingers (watch your nails though), begin to rub the toothpaste into the disc, applying moderate pressure. [b]IMPORTANT[/b]:Make sure you rub from the center of the disc outwards to the edge, and NOT in a circular motion. Apply extra pressure to scratched areas. Do this for about 30 seconds, being sure to apply the toothpaste across the whole disc (remember- center to the edge, NOT circular motion). Next, hold the disc under a tap, and with the cloth, begin to wipe away the toothpaste. Be sure to get all of the toothpaste off. Depending on the severity of the scratch, you will have to repeat this several times. Leave to air dry once you've completed the process a couple of times. Make sure the disc is completely dry before attempting to run it! If the disc still doesn't run, you'll have to do the process a few more times.

After your disc begins to work, you can apply disc polish, which helps to protect your disc from further scratches, and also polishes the plastic surface, which can allow the disc to be read easily.

[b]USE THIS GUIDE IF YOU'RE USING BRASSO[/b]
Apply a small amount of brasso to the soft cloth. Begin to rub from the center of the disc to the edge in a straight line. DO NOT RUB IN A CIRCULAR MOTION! Be sure to apply more pressure to the deeper scratched areas. Do this for about 30 seconds, until your disc is completely covered. Begin to wash the brasso off, preferably using warm water. The soft cloth can help remove the brasso aswell. Allow the disc to air dry. Do not try and run the disc if it's still wet, or still has brasso on it! Most probably, the brasso will not remove the scratches the first time, unless your disc had lots of very small scratches, so repeat the process a few times.

After your disc begins to work, you can apply disc polish, which helps to protect your disc from further scratches, and also polishes the plastic surface, which can allow the disc to be read easily.

The brasso works faster than the toothpaste, and it means you don't have to do the process as many times as you would using toothpaste. The disc polish isn't necessary, but it's a good idea.

DISCLAIMER: I do not accept the responsiblity for any further damage to discs. The process above, if followed [b]correctly[/b] will not damage discs at all. 09/12/09

All the best in getting your discs to work.
Sat 12/12/09 at 11:07
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
The freezer. Not just good for getting gum out of clothes.......
Thu 10/12/09 at 15:20
Regular
"THFC"
Nice post chris - i like to think i have inspired this a little bit with my MW2 drama that you helped with (still yet to try it, but if it works then it will be great success!)
Thu 10/12/09 at 15:01
Regular
"How Ironic"
Scratched discs are more important than work ;P
Thu 10/12/09 at 00:20
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Ouch, I hate scratched discs. With my experience, it seems that BluRay discs are harder to scratch. Trying to replace one of my old dead discs (now been thrown out) of Monster Rancher, now going for around £50 on ebay.

And yeah, the freezer method works, but it is a slightly more temporary solution, and i'm not entirely sure of it's mode of action or effectiveness, but what I said seemed to make sense.

Would you look at me procrastinating, 2 2000 word lab reports to hand in by Friday, and a further 3 peices of work to be handed in by Monday, and I'm browsing around here.
Wed 09/12/09 at 23:19
Regular
"How Ironic"
Thanks :) Have to say, never heard of the freezer method, but sounds interesting. I was shocked though when i found out toothpaste or brasso could help, was abit dubious putting them on my discs, but it actually worked, can play FIFA 09 whenever now without any problems (originally it wouldn't even run). I'm not sure about my CoD 4 though, the scratches in that are huge, and their big circular ones aswell (ie. the worst ones you can get :S)
Wed 09/12/09 at 22:56
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Good guide.

Another tip that also does sometimes work is putting a CD into the freezer (sounds stupid but it *does* work). Basically, as the disc gets colder it slightly contracts, as cold tends to do to materials. This sort of either moves or decreases the size of the scratch, and makes the disc readable. The condensate when the CD is warming up also acts as a nice thin veil of water to clean the disc, just make sure to remove it before playing. I used to do this with a lot of my heavily scratched PS1 games. Strange method, and only a temporary solution, but it can work.
Wed 09/12/09 at 20:32
Regular
"How Ironic"
Wether it's a Game or a CD; wether it's an old game/CD, or one of the latest; wether you take extreme care with your discs, or chuck them around, we've all got discs with scratches on. Sometimes, it's not too bad; the scratches are just visible, and don't affect the disc at all. But most of the time, scratches stop the disc running properly, sometimes stopping it from running it all.

My FIFA 09 has been broken for ages now, and recently my CoD 4 got damaged, seeing as my dad knocked my Xbox over. Well, i've never been to a store to get scratches removed, and probably never will. So i started looking for 'home remedies', and thankfully i came across this handy little trick that can be used on games or CDs.

First, i'll explain what a disc is made up of. The top layer is just a thin layer of plastic, beneath which is the actual the data itself. This explains why the depth of a scratch really matters. The deeper the scratch, the bigger the chance that the data has been reached through the plastic and damaged. With most scratches, it is only the plastic layer that takes the scratch.

So how does a scratch on the plastic layer of the disc affect it's ability to work if the data beneath is not damaged? Well, discs are read using a laser. When the laser hits a scratch on the plastic, it stops it reaching the data below it. Quite simply, all disc repair usually does is remove a few layers of the plastic, and hopefully evening out the scratch on the disc.

Down to the process of removing scratches. [b]Only use this process as a last resort or if your disc does not work at all[/b] And please note, this will not remove any scratch, the deepest scratches are incredibly difficult to get rid of.

What you will need:
Scratched Disc
Toothpaste or Brasso (i personally recommend Brasso as it is faster)
A soft cloth

Optional Extras
Disc Polish

I'll do two seperate guides for Toothpaste and Brasso use.

[b]USE THIS GUIDE IF YOU'RE USING TOOTHPASTE[/b]
First of all, place a small amount of toothpaste onto the disc. Using your fingers (watch your nails though), begin to rub the toothpaste into the disc, applying moderate pressure. [b]IMPORTANT[/b]:Make sure you rub from the center of the disc outwards to the edge, and NOT in a circular motion. Apply extra pressure to scratched areas. Do this for about 30 seconds, being sure to apply the toothpaste across the whole disc (remember- center to the edge, NOT circular motion). Next, hold the disc under a tap, and with the cloth, begin to wipe away the toothpaste. Be sure to get all of the toothpaste off. Depending on the severity of the scratch, you will have to repeat this several times. Leave to air dry once you've completed the process a couple of times. Make sure the disc is completely dry before attempting to run it! If the disc still doesn't run, you'll have to do the process a few more times.

[b]USE THIS GUIDE IF YOU'RE USING BRASSO[/b]
Apply a small amount of brasso to the soft cloth. Begin to rub from the center of the disc to the edge in a straight line. DO NOT RUB IN A CIRCULAR MOTION! Be sure to apply more pressure to the deeper scratched areas. Do this for about 30 seconds, until your disc is completely covered. Begin to wash the brasso off, preferably using warm water. The soft cloth can help remove the brasso aswell. Allow the disc to air dry. Do not try and run the disc if it's still wet, or still has brasso on it! Most probably, the brasso will not remove the scratches the first time, unless your disc had lots of very small scratches, so repeat the process a few times.

The brasso works faster than the toothpaste, and it means you don't have to do the process as many times as you would using toothpaste. The disc polish isn't necessary, but it's a good idea.

DISCLAIMER: I do not accept the responsiblity for any further damage to discs. The process above, if followed [b]correctly[/b] will not damage discs at all. 09/12/09

All the best in getting your discs to work.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.