GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Another bunch of time wasters"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/12/09 at 16:45
"possibly impossible"
Filed under 'have they nothing better to do'

A group of campaigners have urged parents not to buy anything pink for their children because it prevents girls reaching higher paid jobs.

BBC News report here

When asked what scientific backing they had, one simply replied "er..what's science?"*

I just can't get my head around what some people will do to get attention. What makes it worse is that Justice Minister Bridget Prentice is backing it.

Surely this just sets equal rights for Women back a few hundred years rather than having any positive effect?

*Possibly made up comment to highlight the stupidity.
Sat 12/12/09 at 21:09
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Garin wrote:
> pb wrote:
> Ok, so there is some truth in the idea that colours have an
> immediate effect on people, but changing someone's whole outlook
> and personality because they liked pink as a kid?
>
> Why not? Even if the effect pink has on the child wears off
> after a time, what about all the people they come into contact
> with? After all, personality is shaped by interaction with your
> environment. If everybody is treating you passively initially
> because you're wearing pink, I think its fair to say it'll
> influence your personality.
> Obviously its more complicated than that, but I think we know
> enough about the surrounding subject to suggest its not exactly a
> far-fetched idea.

Get your point Garin, but 'pink' as a child is most definately not 'pink' as an adult - you obviously know what I mean.....
Sat 12/12/09 at 20:49
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
pb wrote:
> Ok, so there is some truth in the idea that colours have an
> immediate effect on people, but changing someone's whole outlook
> and personality because they liked pink as a kid?

Why not? Even if the effect pink has on the child wears off after a time, what about all the people they come into contact with? After all, personality is shaped by interaction with your environment. If everybody is treating you passively initially because you're wearing pink, I think its fair to say it'll influence your personality.
Obviously its more complicated than that, but I think we know enough about the surrounding subject to suggest its not exactly a far-fetched idea.
Sat 12/12/09 at 18:48
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pb wrote:

> A group of campaigners have urged parents not to buy anything
> pink for their children because it prevents girls reaching higher
> paid jobs.

First impression.....'a large ovary-like object x 2, bull-like' ....

Second impression....'why has this generated a discussion' ...

Third impression...'are any of the original campaigners women...?'

If so they must have worn 'pink' because all new borns are 'colour-coded' at birth in hospital and most definately afterwards, their parents would have continued this 'trend' along with doting grandparents, friends etc etc. Are 'the campaigners' aware of their own 'pink background?'

Got to laugh at this forum sometimes, but the 'swear box' filter has just banned 'testi***lar' but not 'ovary'....that's got to mean something :-D
Sat 12/12/09 at 17:49
"possibly impossible"
Only bulls are colour blind!

Ok, so there is some truth in the idea that colours have an immediate effect on people, but changing someone's whole outlook and personality because they liked pink as a kid?
Sat 12/12/09 at 10:47
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I was going to say something along the same lines as Garin. Colours can play a major role in things, which has been tested and dare I say (partially) proved?

We are animals at the end of the day, and colours effect us. When I see red on a pretty lady (my girlfriend say...in case she is reading), I'm certainly like a charging bull anyway.........
Thu 10/12/09 at 19:34
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
As theories go, its hardly outlandish. Colour psychology is pretty well established. So its not exactly a great stretch to imagine long term exposure can have long term effects.
Thu 10/12/09 at 09:30
Regular
"And in last place.."
I can imagine the look on the face of my 3 year old when I explain to her that she can't have the pink toy because it will affect her future career.
Thu 10/12/09 at 07:33
Regular
Oh no! There's pink in nature! Stop growing trees and plants that flower pink flowers! Stop farming pink animals. Throw away those sweet potatoes and wipe them out of existence! Destroy the pink!
Wed 09/12/09 at 23:24
Regular
"How Ironic"
So what exactly is their point? Are we supposed to ban the colour pink? I'm sorry, but that is aload of *you know what*. Colours cannot affect your career. I'd love to see the direct correlation graph between 'colours experienced as a child' and 'status of job', because obviously they've spent alot of time and money looking into this...
Anyway, it's sad to say, but woman, although having more rights than in the past, have still not broken through to full equality, men usually hold the higher positions, but that's probably because they had green army tank toys when they were little, which makes them more suited to their job.
Wed 09/12/09 at 23:09
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Regarding your science comment

As an undergraduate Chemistry student, I do find most mentions of science in the media to be hilariously either misinformed or just disinterested in actual science, and happier to be scaremongering the public either by using science, or just generally against science.

Regarding the topic at hand. Things get the way they are due to demand, if the demand for pink girls toys wasn't there, there wuldn't be so much. On the other hand, if the demand for a more colour-diverse and topic-diverse toy range for girls was there, then the toys would be there.

Gratuitous oversimplification aside, people will protest against anything, for each one that gets media coverage there are several more that are much more deserving of the attention, and probably hundreds more that are even stupider. That's human behaviour, for you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.