GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EXTRA EXTRA GAMEADAY PRIZE (Life on the Forums) WINNER ANNOUNCED"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/07/01 at 19:57
Regular
After due consideration here are the results.

Everybody wants User Profiles.

RBS says lean some of the GAD prizes towards lesser forums to boost them and he suggests we include a "what's going on in the forums" or "forum news" somewhere.

Gaming Boy would like to see more input from the staff to start topics and kick-start discussion.

Grix suggests we have a tournament where we all download game to our PC and play against each other.

er-no wants a "who is here" link. You click on it and it tells you the names of most recent posters (good idea). And er-no wants the Notables to be given something to do (a request which I have just complied with in Chat forums)

TheBest_2K1 is keen on putting people in a hot seat. Everybody fires questions at the poor so...

Quazimodo would like links to your "Latest Post" and your web site url in your stats window (excellent).

Meka would like us to hold a song contest and have counters to see how many people have read a thread. pb backs this up with a similar request on reviews.

Cookie Monster suggests a Cluedo-style murder mystery event.

Dan2K1 would like on-line darts.

Dringo is keen to repeat some "Opposite Posts" - I believe this is intended to be head to head challenges on specific arguments.

Chr!stos says we should sometimes vote for Gameaday winners, instead of them being always picked by staff.

Salevunit suggested a Winning Posts Forum (view only), plus Tag of the Day competitions, Search Facilities and Caution Tags. The latter is a particularly strong suggestion, i.e. to give warning tags to people likely to face a ban.

BUT THE WINNER IS:
The prize is for the best SET of suggestions. The winner is SHEEPY for the following ideas:

FOG Lotto
Round Number Prizes (e.g. at 10,000 posts in a forum)
"Number Day" I think this means we would all be anonymous.
Vote people off the forums Big Brother style (love that).
Guess the Phantom Poster.
Complaint Button (already in place now with the report link)
Improve the message filter and the feedback from it.

Contratulations SHEEPY and I hope you enjoy munching your prize.

Thank you again to all those who contributed and sorry not to be able to mention everybody.

These were the original rules.

This latest EXTRA GAMEADAY is for the best SET of suggestions for "adding life" to the forums.

Imagine that you are in charge of the forums. What would you do to start some interesting debate or to make the place more interesting?

Please DO NOT suggest things which require (much) programming. And don't suggest a chart of Gameaday winners as it is already being sorted.

We already have:
Top Posters chart
Notable/Regular/Newbie system with 'orrible colours
Voting for Notables
Extra Gameaday Prizes
Protected "Prime Topics" forum
"Stats" for history on contributors
Taglines

Closing date is August 1st or shortly thereafter, and it's the best set that wins. All the posts that you make will count towards your set.
Page:
Sun 22/07/01 at 19:57
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
After due consideration here are the results.

Everybody wants User Profiles.

RBS says lean some of the GAD prizes towards lesser forums to boost them and he suggests we include a "what's going on in the forums" or "forum news" somewhere.

Gaming Boy would like to see more input from the staff to start topics and kick-start discussion.

Grix suggests we have a tournament where we all download game to our PC and play against each other.

er-no wants a "who is here" link. You click on it and it tells you the names of most recent posters (good idea). And er-no wants the Notables to be given something to do (a request which I have just complied with in Chat forums)

TheBest_2K1 is keen on putting people in a hot seat. Everybody fires questions at the poor so...

Quazimodo would like links to your "Latest Post" and your web site url in your stats window (excellent).

Meka would like us to hold a song contest and have counters to see how many people have read a thread. pb backs this up with a similar request on reviews.

Cookie Monster suggests a Cluedo-style murder mystery event.

Dan2K1 would like on-line darts.

Dringo is keen to repeat some "Opposite Posts" - I believe this is intended to be head to head challenges on specific arguments.

Chr!stos says we should sometimes vote for Gameaday winners, instead of them being always picked by staff.

Salevunit suggested a Winning Posts Forum (view only), plus Tag of the Day competitions, Search Facilities and Caution Tags. The latter is a particularly strong suggestion, i.e. to give warning tags to people likely to face a ban.

BUT THE WINNER IS:
The prize is for the best SET of suggestions. The winner is SHEEPY for the following ideas:

FOG Lotto
Round Number Prizes (e.g. at 10,000 posts in a forum)
"Number Day" I think this means we would all be anonymous.
Vote people off the forums Big Brother style (love that).
Guess the Phantom Poster.
Complaint Button (already in place now with the report link)
Improve the message filter and the feedback from it.

Contratulations SHEEPY and I hope you enjoy munching your prize.

Thank you again to all those who contributed and sorry not to be able to mention everybody.

These were the original rules.

This latest EXTRA GAMEADAY is for the best SET of suggestions for "adding life" to the forums.

Imagine that you are in charge of the forums. What would you do to start some interesting debate or to make the place more interesting?

Please DO NOT suggest things which require (much) programming. And don't suggest a chart of Gameaday winners as it is already being sorted.

We already have:
Top Posters chart
Notable/Regular/Newbie system with 'orrible colours
Voting for Notables
Extra Gameaday Prizes
Protected "Prime Topics" forum
"Stats" for history on contributors
Taglines

Closing date is August 1st or shortly thereafter, and it's the best set that wins. All the posts that you make will count towards your set.
Sun 22/07/01 at 20:02
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Hmm - my mind is a blank.

Here's one:

Nope - that's no good.

(trots off to make some coffee)
Sun 22/07/01 at 20:02
Regular
"You've upset me"
You could make it so that a post in one forum will win GAD. Say one day in a month it'll be a post in the Sega forum that wins, then next month, one day, the winning post will be in the Nintendo forum.

You can use this to help forums that don't get used much. Becuase it'll increase the traffic to those forums. Of course you have the problem of that forum being overloaded with posts, but if it only happened one day each month I don't think that'll be much of a problem. You could do the same with the "Review" GAD. Say one day in a month the winning review will be on one certain format.

You get the idea.

© RBS 2001 :-D
Sun 22/07/01 at 20:04
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> You get the idea.

That's a good start RBS.
Sun 22/07/01 at 20:05
Regular
"You've upset me"
Tony wrote:
> RastaBillySkank wrote:
> You get the idea.

That's a good
> start RBS.

*chuckle*
Sun 22/07/01 at 20:09
Regular
"You've upset me"
Perhaps you could have a "Users Page" where new users could go and see who they were talking to. There would be pictures of the Regulars and their stats. The users themselves could send in either proper pictures or cartoons or something. Maybe some other users could even draw what they think someone looks like and those could be put up as well.

Wouldn't be tat hard it'd just take quite a lot of time I reckon.
Sun 22/07/01 at 20:12
Regular
"You've upset me"
You could let the users get to know the staff a little better by putting up downloadable "Interviews" of them. Say once a month the 3 highest staff posters get interviewed about there favourite discussion of that month and perhaps be asked what there favourite game for that month is.

They could be put up in downloadable format available as Quicktime and... err... the other video player.

Failing that you could just stick sound interviews up, same as before but without the video!
Sun 22/07/01 at 20:22
how about... an actual java chat?
or or
umm
normal chat with no rules (exept the usual no swearing)
Sun 22/07/01 at 20:24
Regular
"You've upset me"
goetzy wrote:
> how about... an actual java chat?
or or
umm
normal chat with no
> rules (exept the usual no swearing)

Tried it, no one used it, scrapped it.
Sun 22/07/01 at 20:25
really?
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.