GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Whats with Monthly Payment Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/04/04 at 17:34
Regular
"No Limits"
Who of you have been realy hyped up about a game you've heard is coming out and you make all the effort of saving up to spend £40 on it and then you see that it requires monthly payments of around £10 just to play it!Some of the best games need monthly payments like FFXI and Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds and Everquest. Whats up with that, i mean its not like they're goin bankrupt or something! What do you think about it?
Fri 23/04/04 at 12:20
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I think the real problem with MMORPGs and the monthly payment is that unlike normal games, you can't really play more than one or two, because then you start to see how expensive it all becomes.

While there a few MMORPGs I'd like to play, I know that I just wont have the time or money to play them all, so at present the only future MMORPG titles that I really am willing to pay monthly for are World of Warcraft and that cool looking pirate MMORPG, Pirates of the Burning sea.
Thu 22/04/04 at 22:30
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
cjay1977 wrote:
> the only issue i have with it is a lack of payment options for example
> i do not want a credit card as i dont wanna get in debt and i know i
> would with a cc pehaps more games offering payment with paypal or
> splashplastic

Get a debit card then.
Thu 22/04/04 at 18:18
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
FF11 is the only game im going to be willing to pay a monthly fee for. One reason is that its Square they cant let you down and te other is the fact of battleing someone with intelligence and not just a set pattern.
Thu 22/04/04 at 13:57
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Charging per month is reasonable considering they're gonna have some massive maintenance costs, but I'm not going to pay monthly to play a game.
Thu 22/04/04 at 12:53
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
cipro wrote:
> What i would have if he hadn't beaten me to it.

Of course i never get surprised when i see that on the box anyway because i know which games will require a monthly fee
Thu 22/04/04 at 12:49
Regular
"dont like me bite m"
the only issue i have with it is a lack of payment options for example i do not want a credit card as i dont wanna get in debt and i know i would with a cc pehaps more games offering payment with paypal or splashplastic
Thu 22/04/04 at 12:14
Regular
"A man with a stick"
What is it you think that £10 a month pays for? A fee for the developers? No, it pays to keep the servers that run the game up 24 hours a day, it pays for new content made by the developers to add to the game and it pays for the constant bug fixing made to the game to keep players happy. If a MMORPG such as Star Wars Galaxies or Everquest didn't have monthly charge, then quite frankly it wouldn't last more than a few weeks. Running these games is expensive for the developers, hence the added cost.

Besides, many of these games come with different methods of payment, be it a month-by-month option or the chance to pay the first 12 months in full. One thing you have to remember about MMORPGs is that the size of these games is enormous, so big that it's costs a fortune to run, just be thankful you only get charged a measly £10 a month, for me at least, that’s pocket money.
Wed 21/04/04 at 19:39
Regular
"\\"
But then these servers do have to be amazingly good to handle that amount of people with such large maps and all that information. I think that £10 a month is pretty fair.
Wed 21/04/04 at 18:12
Regular
I agree.

I think that there should be a one-off payment to purchase the game, like £45 (quite a lot more then normal priced games!), that way gamers will be paying a little extra then normal towards maintenenence.

They charge you so they can maintain their servers
Wed 21/04/04 at 17:34
Regular
"No Limits"
Who of you have been realy hyped up about a game you've heard is coming out and you make all the effort of saving up to spend £40 on it and then you see that it requires monthly payments of around £10 just to play it!Some of the best games need monthly payments like FFXI and Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds and Everquest. Whats up with that, i mean its not like they're goin bankrupt or something! What do you think about it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.