GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jarrassic Park III..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/07/01 at 16:34
Regular
First off, I'm going to say that this movie is probably worth seeing on dvd or video. I'll seperate this review into two parts ( three if I feel like adding a conclusion ): What Went Right and What Went Wrong.

What Went Right (Because It's Less Painful to remember)
1. Dinosaur vs. Dinosaur scene. This scene near the beginning of the movie follows a scene where the four stars of the movie (not counting the kid they intend to rescue, but oddly enough, is not traumatized by this experience) are chased by a big dinosaur with a fin. That scene predates a scene where they find their first (and only) T-Rex. Just when you think they're trapped (after what felt like half an hour into the movie? Pshyea right!), the T-Rex sees the other dinosaur and they start to fight... because that's what dinosaurs do whenever htye see each other. They fight. Godzilla fought other creatures, and I'm sure some other examples exist in movies. Hell, there was even a dinosaur in the Rampage series of games! This scene ruled, but there was something wrong with it... I'll get into that later.

2. Acting... for the most part. Sam Niel did a good job. The kid that plays Eric (or whatever the kid's name was) is no Halie Joel Osmond, but he gets his job done. His parents were annoying as hell, though. They were also predictable, too. More on that later

3. Special effects. The dinosaurs looked great. That being said, they also looked great and realistic in the other two. It's nice to see that good habits die hard.

4. Pterodactyl Scene. That scene is, simply put, is the best scene in the movie. That annoying, pigheaded, idiot Billy dies in this scene, and the pterodactyls looks great.

5. Humor. There's a couple of funny scenes in this movie. One involving Barney the dinosaur, one involving a reference to what happened in JPII, and one reference to Malcom, because we all know how much Jeff Goldbum rules.

What Went Wrong (Because Nobody's Perfect, but Some Are More Perfect than Others)
1. Raptors being "smart". They spend the entire first part of the movie before they go to the island (which is pretty hefty, considering its running time of 1:45) hyping up how "smart" the Raptors are. How they communicate with each other, and how they are so intelligent. Hell, they even include part of it in the commercials. And you know what? They don't seem that damned smart to me. Oh, they sure do know how to track people when their eggs are stolen! And they can talk to each other, too! In the end, you know what? I was more impressed by that raptor that turned the door knob in the first one.

2. The length of the Dinosaur vs. Dinosaur Scene. It was too damned short. I demand a two hour long movie that is just a damn rematch between these two. In fact, I should be able to get into that for free, since it may be able to make up for the confusion that this fulm causes.

3. Cell phone. Okay, here's how it goes: The winner of the dino vs. dino fight had eaten a mercenary (get into that later) who was holding a cell phone. For some reason, from about two football fields away, and in the belly of the damned thing, the people are able to hear the cell phone. If I were that dino, I'd also see a doctor about my digestion, because I'm damned sure that cell phones should not come out of my buttocks whole, especially if lizards use stomach acid (do they? If they do, then that makes this whole thing more stupid).

4. Originality? the title screen and the logo looks like it was stolen from the Scream movies.

5. The Characters' Idiocy. Billy steals raptor eggs. I'm so happy that he thought he would live long enough to make a fortune from them. Apparently, in all his years with studying dinos with Alan Grant, he was never taught that animals get pretty damned annoyed when you steal their eggs. Also, how many times does Grant have to tell everybody that making loud noises and drawing attention to yourself is a bad idea?

6. The ending. It was too quick. The army comes up and saves them the morning after they survive an attack by the CellPhonosaurus. I have no clue how Elle (or whatever her name is, you know, the woman from the first JP) got the navy and the airforce to fly by there overnight. Do you? No. I'm sure the writers of the movie don't know either. How the hell did Billy survive after being "eaten" (or pecked/poked) to death by the pterodactyls? I don't know. If he was alive, wouldn't have have been too injured to walk to the coast of the island? I also don't know if the CellPhonosaurus burned to death in the fire they left it in or if it escaped, but I sure as hell wish that is had attacked the military and killed about a thousand soldiers. It'd added one more action scene that might have made the movie worth seeing in theaters (if it was done right). An added special effect with the thing burned and rotting with exposed ribs and bones and blood would have been good, too. Overkill? Sure, but it makes up for all the rubbish we are given. By "rubbish", or course, I mean...

7. An Overly-Predictable Plot. of course the two divorced parents fall in love again... for some reason... even though they had only spent about two days together, and most of the day they spent running from stuff and screaming. And when the movie isn't predictable, it's...

8. Overly happy in the end. Yes, this is about Billy living. That snot should have died and stayed dead. This movie should have had a bitter ending. Sure, three people died, but they were useless in the first place. What was the last thing Grant said to Billy (other than "Don't jump" and calling his name)? "You're just as bad as the people who built this place". That was perfect... until he lived. The characters should have had to live with the fact that they cost someone ( not counting the dummies ) their lives. The movie could very well raised the question: "Sure, they saved the kid, but was it really worth it to cost a man his friend's life?". The dad dieing, too would have been overkill ( but still more unpredictable ), but him "dieing" only to be alive less than two minutes later was worse. Hell, if he had really died, he would have been made more heroic because he saved everybody's lives!

In the end, and like I said, this movie is worth seeing on video/dvd.
Thu 23/08/01 at 21:36
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Cheers CDouch.
Tue 24/07/01 at 18:10
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> Do me a favour, please change your name.

Moi? Why? If there's a good reason, no problem, it was a random key board mash anyway as I got frustrated that my normal nick and any varaitions on it were taken/not allowed (not rude or anything, just I was trying to use all sorts of characters such as . and / to get one to go through)
Mon 23/07/01 at 18:16
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
im going to see it towmorrow,i hope its as good as some people make it out to be.il post a review on it towmorrow or the next day.
Mon 23/07/01 at 18:15
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
i told you,you would win if you posted it in here shaneo,it was a great post
Mon 23/07/01 at 17:24
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Do me a favour, please change your name.
Mon 23/07/01 at 17:22
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
kingklik wrote:
> then that great big Pterodactyl
> waddles across the bridge. For me, seeing that great bird > waddle out
> of the mist to display its enormous mass was more
> terrifying than
> anything else in the film

The man in the birdy suit scared you? That was just about the pinicle of rediculousness and bad special effects. The final rotten chery on top of the rather rancid film.
Mon 23/07/01 at 16:11
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
In my opinion, yes.
Sun 22/07/01 at 18:07
Regular
So, should i go and see it?
Sun 22/07/01 at 15:54
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
I disagree with VenomByte. I jumped loads of times. I thought the film was so good that I'm going to see it again tonight!
Sun 22/07/01 at 15:18
Regular
"smile, it's free"
No. But there are lots of bits that make you cringe. At the plotline.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.