GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FF7 vs FF8"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/07/01 at 14:08
Regular
Hi

FF7 vs FF8? Which won wins?

Which is the better game, Final Fantasy 7 or 8?

FF7 or FF8, FF7 or FF8, FF7 or FF8, Bet! Bet! Bet!

Sorry, got carried away with doing an impression of that Banzai programme on Channel 4 on a Friday night.

Let me know what you think and then I'll let you know what I think and then we can debate it, thanks.

Is FF9 any good as I haven't played it yet? Is it better than FF7 or FF8?

Andy Jackson
Tue 24/07/01 at 20:29
Regular
DavidD

I agree to a point - I think that ff7 was good as in story line, but you have to admit that ff8 had more superb graphics.

I prefer ff7, but ff8 definitely beat ff9 by far. Ff9 was not awful, but it didn't really take long to finish it!
Tue 24/07/01 at 20:23
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Has anyone got FFIV????I saw it on the car boot on chipped. I was tempted to buy it but didnt.Anyone going to get it???
Tue 24/07/01 at 20:19
Right ive played
ff5 ff6 ff7 ff8 and ff9
(ive also played chrontrigger, many zeldas, balders gate, half-life and numerous game across numerous platforms and have been playin games for a good 10 years)
FF7 was the best
People allways say that ff5 or 6 was the best.
ff5 had a good learning system in that charachters could
be given more specific roles (mage, theif etc)
and the battles had some good ideas like combinging two peoples attacks (magic + physical the same as steiner and vivi) i didnt complete 5 though because i found it boring and lacking in general substance. FF6 which i have just completed had a good story nothing amazing but good.
the magic system wasnt all that any one could learn anything. But for a snes game it had good visuals and good playability. FF8 is the worst of the above but that doesnt mean it was bad. I didnt find that ff8 was a serious as 5,6,7. The Gf's were the best looking to date, yes the junction system was bad and needed more thought but hey it didnt spoil the game and 8 had some good music nothing to memorable mind. 9, i liked. Good graphs good story a little bit darker than 8, a little out there on the plot. Great learnin system i thought what with skills coming from weapons / armour etc and certain people getting only certain skills to strengthen there characters image
(theif etc) and them having there own skills (steiner sword art etc) was great because each person seamed more individual. Now then on to 7.
Excellent music, one of the things i love about 7 most was the scene setting music that fit in well.
People allways dissed the people graphs, well if you watch manga your used to it. The story in 7 was great, classic good versus evil with the fate of the world in the balance
and a group of unlikely heroes to save the day (very ff). And the thing about seven was that hope and loss were two very strong themes. Almost everyone in the gang looses something important and they all find the courage to go on.
Seven was very dark in this way with many deaths throughout the plot and sepiroth killing just about everything.
(none of that in 8 and 9)
The loss of aeris serves only to prove this as never i thought shed be killed and it was quite a shock to have her go on the first? disk (its been a while). I thought aeris would be in it to the end she was too innocent to die).
7 being the first rpg i really played and for me the most memorable due to the plot etc. The plot is just such a winner and part of what i feel wins the arguement. There was magic, the affect of technology and mysticism what with the planets life force and all that.
ive allways loved legends etc and to see the summons just blew me away the first time around.

On the subject of graphics people are allways sayin that they arent what makes a good rpg. I think thats wrong to a degree. Would people have liked seven as much if it had bee released on the snes no i doubt it a lot. The fmv cutscenes draw you in further. It better to watch a glorius fmv sequence of say the meteor at the end headin towards the planet only to see the life force of the plant save its inhabitants and to see it all in 3d, than to watch a crapp 256 colour 2d iamge flying horizontally into a 2d image and thinking "well that was a bad ending good game though"
No!
I played this game for 80 hours i want a decent ending!
And whilst playing the game its better to explore amzingly rendered backgrounds that are almost 3d than a top down exploration of a cave where every other room seems to be the same (ff6, 5 ,4 etc)

right and im..........finished
phew took me a while to wright that
in order of best
7 rules great game , great music, great visuals, great plot.
9 was fun to play and seem to be a ff combination taking all the best bits form teh others and mixing them with an average plot and good characthers
8 eye candy a lot of the way through love plot reminded me aof a gap advert (ill be waiting ...where ... here..for me?...for you my love and so on Yuck!)
6 is good for a snes game (possibly prefferd chronotrigger unsure on that) not bad in all departments.
5 was probably good but it bored me so wenh>...
Sun 22/07/01 at 20:03
Yup, FF7 is perhaps the greatest game ever and FF8, while a good game, doesnt even come close. As for FF9, perhaps the less said the better. FF7's main advantage was the storyline. Not until you had completed most of the game did you fully understand what was going on with Cloud, and Aeris and the white materia....well that took a very long time. There were so many interesting twists in the story, such as the introduction of Red XIII (Nanaki) and Cait Sith. The whole deal with Soldies and Sephiroth was also excellent as it seemed to change constantly throughout the game. You also had the romance between Tifa and Cloud, which, it seems, never really took place?!? She lied at the start of the game, and I still dont know why, or to what purpose, and later on, that part of it just got made,.....was cloud bread by the Materia....NO, then why is he so strong?!?
One of the other gems in this game was the amazing amount of mini games involved, and the quality of them. The Golden Saucer is, perhaps, the best idea in the history of gaming, proving players with entertainment, intrigue, and a source of items, either through the battles, or playing the games well.....it also had the advantage of looking amazing on the map and being hard to get into if you didnt know where your were going. The intoduction of a new currency was also a stroke of genius on the part of Squaresoft as it made people work to get what they wanted.
And now we come to the Chocobo Races and the breading, well, everyone knows about that, and surely they love it as much as I do.

As for FF8s advantages......maybe it has better graphics, but does it have anything as good as this.....infact the only good bits could be found in the first game, its basically a poor quality rip off of FF7, very poor...still a good game, but what can follow FF7, the answer is yet to be found. Hopefully the introduciton of the Series to the PS2 will provoke the same level of quality from Square as the last change in platform, we can only live in hope.
Sun 22/07/01 at 18:40
Regular
I'm just waiting for FFX and Metal Gear Solid 2
Sun 22/07/01 at 18:02
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
What is wrong with evry1? ff8 is the best game eva! accept gt3 cos that is very very very good.
Sun 22/07/01 at 17:46
Regular
By the way, ff9 was crap!

I didn't really get into it either, I know that I didn't complete all of the tasks (like the moogle net thing - some places close off after a while, so you need to do this bit asap).

It also didn't last as long as ff7 or 8, I finished it e.g. the storyline, in a week, where as the others took me ages.

Kel
Sun 22/07/01 at 17:44
Regular
FF8 is good, but I prefer ff7 - it's easier to handle + you just can't beat Cloud and Sephiroth :-)

By the way, I've finished ff8 a few times now, but I don't know how to get in to the Island closest to Heaven and the one closest to hell - is there some special way to get into them, because everytime I try it won't let me in?

Thanks
Kel
Sun 22/07/01 at 14:07
FF7 is a far better game than FF8.
FF8 may have been technically better in a couple of ways, but FF7 was so much more FUN to play than FF8. With FF7 i could sit there for hours on end wanting to further the storyline and see what new puzzle and task awaited. With FF8 i found a lot of the parts to it (especially early on) were a bit of a drag and i found myself labouring through a few parts not particularly enjoying it.
The combat system in FF7 was also better. The flexibility it offered you in battle was excellent, and all styles of fighting could be catered for. Having to bother to draw magic from enemies just prolonged an already battle-heavy game, and instead of just being able to finish enemies off, you had to constantly get reserves of magic which became tiresome. It may be more of a challenge, but it just wasn't as FUN as the simplisticity of FF7. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best.
FF8 was also lacking something like FF7's Gold Saucer, which really made FF7 a classic.

Anyway, that's my opinion. All i know is that from what i've seen, FFX should cease all arguments as to which is the better Final Fantasy. It will be IMMENSE.

Whenever they bloody release it anyway. (Supposedly December, now February apparently! Nightmare!)
Sun 22/07/01 at 11:54
ssxpro wrote:
> Favourite to least liked:

1) FF8 - Better characters, (not short
> fat jaggys), and an amazing junction system.

2) FF7 - Might not
> have the stuff from FF8, but it does have a good story.

3) FF9 -
> This could be due to having a PS2, but I never really got into it.

Funnily enough I am of the exact same opinion!
I feel the plot and, more importantly, the character development were quite weak in FF9. Thus making it quite hard to get into.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.