GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RavenBlade cancelled"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/07/01 at 11:28
Regular
"Damn!" I thought when I read the news that Raven Blade had been cancelled.

For those of you that didn't know what Raven Blade was, it was an RPG for the GAMECUBE from Retro Studios. It was one of the best looking titles on display at E3, and was highly anticipated by many. Retro Studios are also working on Nintendo's precious Metriod game for the GAMECUBE, which is rumoured to also be having problems. Slowly more and more staff have been moved to work on Metroid, leaving RavenBlade far behind schedule, so that now it has been cancelled, and most of the staff that were working on it has been dismissed.

At first I was gutted, but then I thought about all that I have read. Apparently the few developers that were left on the project were having serious difficulties implementing a battle system into the game.

In an RPG the battle system is amongst the most important elements, and can make or break the game. If the battles in RavenBlade were going to be lame, then the game would have been lame.

So why was I sad about losing this game?

Because it looked good. Simple as that. I'd seen the amazing graphics in the movies, the fire breathing dragons, the huge rock-lava type monster thing. I'd seen the hero swinging his sword. To be honest, I'd been sold in the way a movie trailer would do so.

We all know that deep down it's not about the graphics, is it? But I'd been fooled into thinking that just because it looked good, that it would be a good game to play.

So don't mourn it's passing. If they'd have released a shoddy game, you only would have been annoyed that you'd bought it.

Let's just hope it benefits Metroid!
Mon 23/07/01 at 07:28
Regular
"DS..."
kingklik wrote:
> Well, I'm presonally more excited about Metroid Prime and prefer the
> thought of the whole team concentrating their efforts on it. But
> Slik, I'm not quite sure how you can be excited about Metroid from
> 'what you've seen' as, like the rest of us, all you've seen is some
> crappy pre-rendered movie which has nothing to do with the actualy
> game itself at all!
The lack of progress does worry me a little
> but, hopefully, this move will sort things out.

Actually, i have seen a few screenshots from the actual game, these may not be absolutely final but at least it gives some idea of what to expect from the game...
slik ?_?
Mon 23/07/01 at 01:10
Regular
"not dead"
N64ever wrote:
> RPGS r cack anyway i cant think of anything more boring than playing
> an rpg its like a beefed up version of pokemon!!!

Nope. RPGs can be extremly involving and highly entertaining games.

Pokemon is a great game.

Have you even ever played it? Or are you judging it on the cartoons?

And how can you compare an RPG on the Gameboy to one on the GAMECUBE?

bah! i have no time for this kind of stupid comment!
Sun 22/07/01 at 11:21
Regular
RPGS r cack anyway i cant think of anything more boring than playing an rpg its like a beefed up version of pokemon!!!
Sat 21/07/01 at 22:26
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Well, I'm presonally more excited about Metroid Prime and prefer the thought of the whole team concentrating their efforts on it. But Slik, I'm not quite sure how you can be excited about Metroid from 'what you've seen' as, like the rest of us, all you've seen is some crappy pre-rendered movie which has nothing to do with the actualy game itself at all!
The lack of progress does worry me a little but, hopefully, this move will sort things out.
Sat 21/07/01 at 14:32
Regular
"not dead"
But the point I'm trying to make is this:

Is it any great loss?

We'd only seen the visuals, and the big men at Nintendo had set the game various targets to hit. It missed these targets by a distance, with no battle system in place.

Is it worth throwing good money after bad to save this game?

Yes the videos showed the graphical excellence of the GAMECUBE, but if this game was to be saved it needed to be fun to play, and as it was, it was unplayable.

I'd rather such a game be scrapped than be on the shelves.

Of course I doubt it's the very end for it. No doubt any decent elements of the game will be saved, and put to use elsewhere.

hopefully they'll learn from the experience.
Sat 21/07/01 at 12:45
Regular
"DS..."
Metroid better be worth losing raven blade for! i was even considering buying them both....oh well, i'm sure Metroid will either kick a** or be totaly lame but from what iv'e seen and heard it could be the best Metroid yet!
slik !_!
Sat 21/07/01 at 11:33
Regular
I would prefer to say that it's been put on indefinite hold.

Metroid NEEDS to be out as soon as it can, and it NEEDS to be AAA. We now have one company devoting all it's resources to it...

And then, Metroid will be released, hopefully will be excellent... and Retro will look back in it's archives, dig out Raven Blade and that Car Combat game, and develop them. I think.

Well, it would be a waste to leave them.
Sat 21/07/01 at 11:32
Regular
"Bah"
Yeah its a shame to loose such a class game in the makin,but hopefully we may have another decent RPG,where the DC has phantasy star online and the PS has the final phantasy series the next gen console could really do with a brill RPG instead of so mayny first person shooter(Although they are class) because you want something to really sink your teeth into!
Sat 21/07/01 at 11:28
Regular
"not dead"
"Damn!" I thought when I read the news that Raven Blade had been cancelled.

For those of you that didn't know what Raven Blade was, it was an RPG for the GAMECUBE from Retro Studios. It was one of the best looking titles on display at E3, and was highly anticipated by many. Retro Studios are also working on Nintendo's precious Metriod game for the GAMECUBE, which is rumoured to also be having problems. Slowly more and more staff have been moved to work on Metroid, leaving RavenBlade far behind schedule, so that now it has been cancelled, and most of the staff that were working on it has been dismissed.

At first I was gutted, but then I thought about all that I have read. Apparently the few developers that were left on the project were having serious difficulties implementing a battle system into the game.

In an RPG the battle system is amongst the most important elements, and can make or break the game. If the battles in RavenBlade were going to be lame, then the game would have been lame.

So why was I sad about losing this game?

Because it looked good. Simple as that. I'd seen the amazing graphics in the movies, the fire breathing dragons, the huge rock-lava type monster thing. I'd seen the hero swinging his sword. To be honest, I'd been sold in the way a movie trailer would do so.

We all know that deep down it's not about the graphics, is it? But I'd been fooled into thinking that just because it looked good, that it would be a good game to play.

So don't mourn it's passing. If they'd have released a shoddy game, you only would have been annoyed that you'd bought it.

Let's just hope it benefits Metroid!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.