GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Old classics.."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/04/04 at 19:25
Regular
I'm going to buy some old classics to play during the summer but is the original Command and Conquer better than Red Alert 2?
I loved the original but I also liked RA2 although the original was much better in terms of gameplay and I heard Generals is alright but also not as good.
But I'm afraid it the original won't work on XP and it might have bad netcode like AOE2: The Conquerors.
Thu 22/04/04 at 19:25
Regular
I'm going to buy some old classics to play during the summer but is the original Command and Conquer better than Red Alert 2?
I loved the original but I also liked RA2 although the original was much better in terms of gameplay and I heard Generals is alright but also not as good.
But I'm afraid it the original won't work on XP and it might have bad netcode like AOE2: The Conquerors.
Sun 25/04/04 at 17:40
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
u'll probably feel too limited in the original with all the more options in the newer ones although i still play the original red alert every once in a while. but personnaly the best oldie RTS is total annihilation. so many units, so many guns. it rocks. and the community is still huge.
Sun 25/04/04 at 22:19
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Silent Scope wrote:
> I loved the original but I also liked RA2 although the original was
> much better in terms of gameplay and I heard Generals is alright but

General is basically the same as every other C&C game that has come before it, only it looks better. Nostalgia isn't enough these days; those tank rush strategies I used to use just don't fill me with the same sense of achievement as they once did.

I'll have to go back to the original myself one day; it was after all the game that introduced me to the RTS genre, now my favourite type of game.
Sun 25/04/04 at 22:31
Regular
"You have a choice"
I was personally not that impressed with C&C 1, because I played it AFTER i played Red Alert. C&C is good but you are too limited, Red Alert probably gets may vote as the best but Red Alert 2 is very good as well. I'd avoid tiberian sun, didn't like that much, and I can't give my opinion on Generals because my PC only has 64MB of RAM and C&C generals needs twice that to run!!
Mon 26/04/04 at 15:15
Regular
"A man with a stick"
The trouble with the original C&C was the use of sandbags. Amazingly, enemy tanks didn't breach sandbags of fences that you could build, so me and my brother devised a strategy that worked wonders.

Build a giant wall of sandbags to the enemy base as a makeshift road and just charge our army down it while the enemies stood back watching it all because their units couldn't blast through a wall of sand. Silly, but this was back at a time where I wasn't as good at RTS game as I am now.
Tue 27/04/04 at 18:08
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Then, stick an Obelisk of Light/Advanced Guard Tower at the end of the sandbags, and bingo!

C&C is a legendary title, but outdated and tired now. Hell, for a really outdated game, try Dune 2! Excellent and revolutionary for its time, but there isn't even a drag-bx to select units! One by one you order them to attack (and with no context sensitive cursor - all click on unit, click attack/move, then position!) I'd love to complete both campaigns again on C&C, and try Dune 2 again. Got to the end of the Atreides campaign - insanely hard. I been playing Red Alert too recently, and the nostalgia ain't worn off yet - because it's a quality title, despite being outdated and limited.

Medieval Total War is how RTS must be done to impress me, and Rome: Total War looks incredible.
Fri 07/05/04 at 23:46
Regular
I meant Red Alert sorry I think so anyway, sounds like Total Annihilation has a few problems but still works anyone tried it with a mate or a few?
Sun 09/05/04 at 12:35
Regular
"A man with a stick"
My brother is currently playing Total Annihilation, though says it's quite prone to crashes. I haven't gone back to it myself but remember it being one class RTS game, very addictive and great graphics for the time. Even though there was a sequel made, I here there's a new Total Annihilation in development, by a different developer but hopefully it won't be as disappointing as TH2.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.