GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The PSX"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/04/04 at 13:25
Regular
So, now that Sony is releasing a console called "PSX", are so-called games journalists going to stop referring to the PS1 as PSX?

For years they insisted on calling Sony's first console "PSX" (even Special Reserve did it) even though PSX was only the codename for it during development. Where exactly is the "X" in "PlayStation"? No-one called the N64 "Dolphin", so why call the PS1 PSX?

I'm glad Sony has stuck the boot in and made all these people look as stupid as they were by naming their newest creation PSX, and thus forcing these "professionals" to change their naming philosophy.
Sun 25/04/04 at 13:25
Regular
So, now that Sony is releasing a console called "PSX", are so-called games journalists going to stop referring to the PS1 as PSX?

For years they insisted on calling Sony's first console "PSX" (even Special Reserve did it) even though PSX was only the codename for it during development. Where exactly is the "X" in "PlayStation"? No-one called the N64 "Dolphin", so why call the PS1 PSX?

I'm glad Sony has stuck the boot in and made all these people look as stupid as they were by naming their newest creation PSX, and thus forcing these "professionals" to change their naming philosophy.
Sun 25/04/04 at 13:26
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Because that was it's name. The ps1 was the newer smaller model that got released.
Sun 25/04/04 at 13:38
Regular
No, the name was "PlayStation".
Sun 25/04/04 at 13:42
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
and it's commonly known and used abbreviation was PSX, even Ken Kutaragi himself has used the abbreviation in the past. Now forgive me but i'd much rather listen to the guy who actually created it then some guy off the net
Sun 25/04/04 at 13:48
Regular
Listen, if you were right it would mean that Sony is releasing TWO consoles by the name of PSX. Not PSX1 and PSX2, but *both* being PSX.

I'm sorry, but it doesn't take much common sense to realise that no-one would do that.

PSX was just the codename for the first PlayStation, while it is the official name for this new piece of kit.
Sun 25/04/04 at 13:50
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
The codename which was then commonly used by everyone including the creator when talking about it. What they'll refer to it now i don't know but seeing as hardly anyone talks about the playstation itself anymore then it doesn't really matter.
Sun 25/04/04 at 15:35
Regular
If you read my original post again you may notice it's written in the past tense. Take "For years they insisted on..." as an example.
Sun 25/04/04 at 22:28
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
and 'for years' there was no such thing as the PSX that has been announced by Sony so it didn't matter, much like the point you've raised with your topic. People will still refer to the playstation as the PSX, i know i will, because most people will be able to tell the difference of what you're talking about at the time.
Mon 26/04/04 at 06:43
Regular
Crikey it was a nickname for Jebus' sake! You've never used a nickname?

Yes it was officially called the Playstation, but because of it's codename, everyone decided the nickname PSX was good enough. It abbreviates the name (Play Station, X because X looks good) and is much easier to say than blurting Playstation every time you want to refer to the console.

Sony have certainly not tried to make people look stupid. They have clearly listened to the public and found that the name PSX is a popular term. Why not incorporate such a popular term in a new device? That's what they've done. I think it's clever (even if the new device is not.).

Seriously, you must have problems if you're going to have a fit over the naming of a last-gen console.
Mon 26/04/04 at 19:44
Regular
I wasn't having a fit. Try not to take things out of context yes? You get over-excited it seems.

You also seem to argue that PSX was easier to say because it's shorter than PlayStation. PS is shorter still and would actually be correct, so is it not logical to use that? To me it makes perfect sense, though to others it does not...

I think trying to say the X was added because it looks cool is just lame, sorry.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.