GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo - once again the height of all evil."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/04/04 at 19:07
Regular
Taken from TotalGames.net:

Gamers across the UK were glued to their television sets at last night as BBC3 aired its controversial documentary Outrageous Fortunes. The programme claimed that Nintendo knowingly included "seizure-inducing content" in its games.

A spokesperson from Nintendo rebuffed the allegations, saying: 'The notion that Nintendo would knowingly include in its games material that it knew could cause seizures is ridiculous. There is nothing more important to us than the health and wellbeing of our players." She continued: "We began including a warning about seizures with our games in the UK in 1993. We were the first videogame company to provide such warnings."

BBC3 told a different story, however, citing an incident where Nintendo was twice found in contempt of court for not disclosing vital information during a case brought against it by the parents of a boy who suffered a seizure whilst playing a Nintendo game.

BBC3 also tested several recent Nintendo titles and discovered that many of them would not meet the Independent Television Commission's guidelines regarding the rate of flashing images in television broadcasts.

However, until a regulatory body like the ITC governs the rate of flashing images in videogames, then it is likely that we can expect similar situations to arise with many games - not just Nintendo titles - in the future.

To this I say "pfft". What idiocy led the BBC to conclude that Nintendo purposefully include seizure-inducing moments into their games? Why? Why would they do that? Are they evil? AND, surely if they include their warnings (which I have seen on EVERY Nintendo game), it's the gamer's risk?

It seems perhaps that once again an innocent company are being used as the scapegoat for a problem not especially related to them.
Wed 28/04/04 at 21:59
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> Dunno, don't care.
>
> It was a great film with a great point. Small little facts are
> irrelevant.

I know it's a great film, I was trying to defend it. Glad you like it, Moore is a great filmaker. Farenheit 911, his new one sounds great. He's having it out before the US elections as it's so Bush-negative :D Shows Bush dining with the Bin Ladens.
Wed 28/04/04 at 15:16
Regular
Dunno, don't care.

It was a great film with a great point. Small little facts are irrelevant.
Wed 28/04/04 at 14:51
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> They did though, Moore was sued 4 times for the film for portraying
> people in a false light.

Probably weren't happy with the stuff he dug up about them.. Did any of them win?
Wed 28/04/04 at 11:42
Regular
They did though, Moore was sued 4 times for the film for portraying people in a false light.
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:58
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> Actually a lot of it was apparently not strictly true.

Like? I don't think Michael Moore would lie.

And if he had, the Bush people would only have been too happy to make the public know he had.
Tue 27/04/04 at 18:02
Regular
"uncopyable"
The 'best game ever' for inducing a seizure...was...

The Killing Gameshow on Amiga.

Once you finished a level, you could watch the whole thing in replay and for some reason the frame rate on Fast Forwrad was just unwachable.

A mate of mine who was well into games had a major seizure (foaming mouth the lot) while watching that - and everyone else just felt a ill. In fact, i don't think i have ever spoken to anyone who saw the level replay in that game and didn't have to turn away.

Mad that game. Bloody Psygnosis!
Tue 27/04/04 at 16:47
Regular
tphi wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> It's just worth remembering that even the award winning
> "bowling
> for columbine" only hosts one half of the story.
>
> Bowling for Columbine is a great film, sure Michael Moore tries to
> get people to see things from his point of view, but everything he
> suggests is fact.

Actually a lot of it was apparently not strictly true.
Mon 26/04/04 at 23:36
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Galacticdramon wrote:
> There's not too much flashing in the games.
>
> However, once they didn't allow an episode of Pokmeon (Electric
> Soldier Porygon) to be broadcast due to flashing scenes.

That has nothing to do with the BBC or Nintendo whatsoever. The government Tv watchdog in Japan intervened when Electric Soldier Porygon was shown and caused 14 people (out of about 10,000 watching) and banned the episode from ever being shown again ever, anywhere in the world. Even if the offending flashing was taken out.

Shame really. That joins a couple of other episodes that were banned.. the one were James from Team Rocket wears false breasts and makes some comment to Misty about having a better rack than she'll ever have.

*sigh* Censors are nobtards.
Mon 26/04/04 at 21:30
Regular
"??????"
They are hypocritic then.
Mon 26/04/04 at 21:09
Regular
How the hell Event Horizon got passed by the BBC is beyond me, I literally turned away at points as the flashing was seriously giving me a headache.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.