GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GRAN TURISMO 3?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/07/01 at 00:29
Regular
NOPE! CRRRRAZZZZYYY TAXI!!! Forget GT3, just for 5 minutes, and read a brief, but naturally to long, review of the other most successful breed of driving game - completely crazy, totally different to Sony's flagship game, but it's simply brilliant and will stand proud in your gaming collection - be you a PS2 owner, or a Dreamcast owner!!!

Hey, hey! Welcome readers to a new breed of video game. Sega’s very own Crazy Taxi is the biggest selling Dreamcast game of the Millennium and has just pulled up alongside the PlayStation 2, selling incredibly well for an over a year old game! Top stuff Hit Maker – they the creators of this classic taxi game! It’s not a racing game, although you have to race against the clock, it’s just a mad, mad, mad cabbie title – born and reared in the arcades, it ported faultlessly onto the 128bit Dreamcast, and brought a whole Extra city with it too (known as Original mode in the game!). Crazy Taxi is the epitome of fantastic, look past the ill placed views claiming it won’t last more than a weekend – whenever you’re bored, tired or in need of some madcap insanity there is no cure like Crazy Taxi. And I’m only going to have to prove it to you now!

Yellow box cover – yellow cab – it’s bright and funky, Crazy Taxi is just so fast you won’t have the courage to turn it off, at least not in a hurry anyway. With just 3 modes, the original, arcade and Box modes, I will forgive you, right now, for thinking that the game won’t last a great deal of time. But believe the experienced, I hope I can only explain well enough to you why the longevity of Sega’s hit is limitless. Think of a place that you know of well, one that seems to have boundaries – you think you have done everything that is there to be done, perhaps you live in an incredibly lifeless town, but you can always do more in order to liven it up, and then think that Crazy taxi is like a universe. As you advance in your level of skill, you can achieve more (whether you want to or not is up to you) and get further out there. Crazy Taxi is as good as you are, and even if you’re rubbish (slight contradiction here), it will boost your level of goodness up a long way.

The premise? I hate that word, but there you go – the IDEA (much better), for the original and arcade modes, is to firstly select your cabbie from four funny looking peeps – BD Joe – a hip hop laid back hat wearing, grin bearing friendly cabbie – but the main thing is, his car is FAST. It’s the fastest one I believe, although Gena – the female cabbie with an attitude, has the nippiest and tinniest cab, allowing her to nip in between juggernauts and jeeps as she takes her fares to their required destination. Gus has the best looking classic rounder shape cab - he’s slower but will fly faster through the air, as his car is the heaviest. Grips the road well, and is great at Crazy Drifts (a power slide kind of thing), whereas Axel is the best all round cabbie, oh and he has green hair! Very nice…

So that last paragraph totally ignored the idea of the game, so I’ll bring it around here. Right. Pick your cabbie, after choosing the mode and use all the tricks that you should have previously learned by completing the crazy box modes, and aim to take as many customers to as many places as possible, raking up as much cash as you jolly well can. Damn straight, Hmm. So, you can select from a brief encounter with the large real life virtual cities, which actually do have cars and people moving around, doing strange things like snorkelling with killer whales, running in front of trains – usual American antics, which is the three 3minute mode, take a slightly longer game with the 5, opt for the ten if you’ve got finger cream at the ready (your thumbs may well bleed, become sore, start talking to you…). Alternatively you could go for the potentially endless Arcade mode – the time limit is forever counting down, but whenever you pick up a customer you’ll get extra time and so you could end up driving for ever, but I doubt you’ll be doing that. This is the craziest time zone, but it’ll earn you the most cash, giving you the chance to rake up the highest licences – there’s plenty beyond B, C, A and awesome you know…

So, does it sound fun yet? Hmm, maybe I’ll have to tell you about the £40 wad of cash that comes with every purchase! Well, if you believe that…ok then, Crazy Taxi has a box mode. It’s a very dull sounding mode, but it’s the one that’s most likely to make you end up insane, which is a good thing for this game. The madder, the better, the faster, the more cash and so on. So, starting off with some easy tasks, you have to perform a whole range of different challenges in order to progress and unlock all of the crazy boxes – when you finally do complete it, if you ever do, you’ll be treated to the special bike taxi, but it’s accessible through entering a code anyway! So, boxes…mm, nice. Well they are – you can go bowling, in a taxi, pop as many large oversized balloons as you can in the time limit, take hoards of people to their party, crazy jump off a ramp – this’ll have you addicted, crazy drift, crazy stop, crazy jump stop and drift – it all gets very exciting indeed. I suggest you play - it’s pretty much self-explanatory. So I’ll cease explaining :-)

Graphically, this is another hit for Dreamcast – look past the occasional pop-up and rare slow down and take a minute or two to appreciate the beauty of artificial polygon magic. It’s authentic, it’s bright and it’s unashamedly Sega style. Fast and furious, no jagged edges – smooth animation, happy and not so happy customers to pick up and lots of real life places to take them to. Churches and cafes are joined by the real life Pizza Hut, KFC, Tower records and the Levis & Fila Store, making it true to life – you’ll be surprised how lazy some customers are! 30 yards cab journey? Crazy! Wrap this all up with a splash of humour, talking cabbies and customers, a pumping soundtrack from The Offspring and Bad Religion and you’re there. Crazy Taxi is one hell of a good game.

Addiction is not bad unless the thing your addicted to can cause damage. Thus, go play Crazy taxi, become addicted and have a great time in the process. So what if it’s only one player?
Fri 20/07/01 at 11:50
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Well, all paragraphs removed now too...15 characters left...and I still get the same error. Sigh.
Fri 20/07/01 at 11:48
Regular
Reaper, each time you press enter in the review it counts as 2 characters.

I had this problem the other day.
Fri 20/07/01 at 11:48
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Aaaagh...ok, having got it down to 3,996 characters, it still claims that there's more than 4,000. It even says 4 characters left in the little box on the submissions page..
Fri 20/07/01 at 10:46
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Ok Dav1d, master of condensing...7000 > 4000 characters...ideas?
Fri 20/07/01 at 10:36
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Sigh...7000 characters..
Fri 20/07/01 at 10:15
Regular
I played GT3 last night and found that I am pants at driving on the road but I am really enjoying the rallying. Maybe I need to buy a rallying game? Or maybe I should buy a PS2 to compliment my copy of GT3?
Fri 20/07/01 at 10:14
Regular
"Back For Good"
GT3 was on cybernet last night and i thought that looked good,wait until you pop the real thing in. yes it does have some jagged parts on some of the scenery but small enough that you'll never notice it.reflections,wind,sun glare,smoke-very highly detailed no wonder this took forever to make.

wow, i got a letter from sony today that gives you a £10 cheque if you buy GT3, i already have so it cost me overall
£25.top stuff
Fri 20/07/01 at 09:05
Gran Turismo 3, yeah wright. Gimme a proper mans game like Mario Kart, I bet you can't even throw bannanas out of your car in GT3.
Fri 20/07/01 at 09:04
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Heh, working on writing one...I've been playing it solid since yesterday morning.
Fri 20/07/01 at 09:01
I wonder who'll post the first 'proper' GT3 review out of the members.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.