GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Whats after the gba? give your views here!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/07/01 at 21:56
Regular
ok we started life with a big bulky gameboy, then moved onto a smaller but still fairly basic gameoby pocket, next in lnie was the gameboy colour with gameboy stlye graphics but just coloured in, now the gba with the ability to produce stunning games (eg rayman) so what do you thinks next? an n64 in your pocket?
Sun 22/07/01 at 12:41
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Yes, most aspects of computer hardware are advancing rapidly but the one which isn't is display technology. There very monitor, on which you are reading this, is probably using the CRT technology which has been around for over a 100 years. Sure you've got new inventions like TFT but they are ALL pixel-based which is the main problem here. For, say, Goldeneye to be as sharp on a future handheld as it is on TV, there will need to be loads of these pixels crammed onto a tiny screen which would give a tiny picture.
Sun 22/07/01 at 11:38
Regular
MrMatrix wrote:
> Well id just like to point out to these people sayin that you cant
> do a portable playstation or 64 that the GBA IS A PORTABLE SNES!

WRONG!!

The GBA is 32-bit. The SNES was 16-bit.

Somehow I don't think Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 would be possible in the same detail on the SNES....
Sun 22/07/01 at 11:29
it is possible to have an n64 in your pocket. at the rate technology is advancing anything is possible.
Sun 22/07/01 at 11:02
Regular
"Bah"
Well id just like to point out to these people sayin that you cant do a portable playstation or 64 that the GBA IS A PORTABLE SNES! so people 5 or 6 years ago would be sayin exactly what you are that it cant be done,but i reckon in about 3 years from now we will be playin goldeneye and perfect dark on our new gameboys.
Sun 22/07/01 at 09:33
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
i posted this the other day , but nearly everyone ignored it ! so this is what i think will come after the gba : (it is a copy of what i wrote the other day)

I reckon , by the time the gba has had it's day , which like the other gameboys could last years , we will be so advanced that the new screen will be able to be folded up from a tiny square which fits into it's own little case to a huge average sized pc screen , say 15-17 inches. then when it is unfolded it is so advanced that the creases just disapear into the screen itself like some fabric softeners can do with clothes. Then to play the game , like the wavebird controller for gc we have a separate controller which can either be attached to the screen for portable gameing or be held separate to the screen upi to 20 meters away , so you will have a home console and a portable console in one ! The graphics , because of the big screen would be in high res like the psone portable screens , and would be the equivelent to a top notch pc's graphics and speed when the thing comes out (which , if it ever does will be ace !!!) so in 2010 or whatever , the best pc you can buy at the time The Gameboy Xcell will be able to match or even improve on these graphics.
so like at e3 when the head of nintendo Mr yioroshima (or something like that) said he might scrap the gamecube if it wasn't a success at e3 , because he thinks that in the future gamers will get fed up with home consoles and so portable experiences like GBA etc will be more popular.

So back to my Gameboy Xcell (thats it's name) :
THe controller
It will be in the shape of something like thwe gamecubes , or one of nintendos cool designs.It will feature the two L and R buttons on top , the c buttons , a and b , the joystick , the d pad , an infared port , a battery compartment for a flat based watch battery which can run for upto 30 hours (by then i reckon this will be possible)

The screen

Will be 15-17 inches wide by 13-15 high. It will feature a crease disapearer thingy which means that when you fold or unfold the screen makes the creases disapear , but you can set it to leave the crease in for 6 player action , so you get a smaller screen each ! the graphics resolution will be the best of the best and the grpahics card will also be the best of the best. It will feature 6 infared ports for ultiamate gaming , when you buy the conrolers , when you get them home you can configure which infared transmitter , transmitts to which infared reciever so player 1 configures his / her infared transmitter to the same configuration of the plaer 1 reciver and so on.

The Games

They will be on really tiny discs smaller than the gc's mini discs and will hold 6 times as much data as the gc mini discs , because they are so small the loading times will nearly match that of a cartridge as it dosen't take much time at all for the laser to go over the disc and read it's info , so on the playstation the loading times are so long because the discs are so big (cd size) as the laser has the move a long way to get the info from one place to another. They should cost around £30 or well probably have been forced to use the euro by the so the price would be 49-50 euros. They may be less if the cost of technology decreases , or they may be more if supplies of plastic , oil and metal run low.

The cost

Like i said above the cost really depends on the avaliability of the natural resoures like oil needed for plastic and metal needed for electrical parts. But if these are stil avaliable then expect the price to be around the price of a home console £150 to £200 , considering the fact that the screen is very big and expensive , and then the controller which really dosent cost that much , so the main part of the deal is the screen , which holds the game drive , graphics stuff etc.
Sun 22/07/01 at 08:39
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
I think the possibility of either the N64 or the Playstation in portable form is simply not possible. The reason for this is not trying to get such computational power into such a small box, it's the screen. To have so much detail on a small screen and have the game running in the same resolution would mean this:

High resolution on small screen = TEENY picture.

Ofcourse, the obvious answer is to have a bigger screen, but you get to a point where it isn't portable any more.
Do you see?
Sat 21/07/01 at 19:33
A portable N64 would be a possibility, after all the cart means the size of games will be kept down.

Perhaps Sony will create a portable playstation using Minidisc like media...Who knows???
Sat 21/07/01 at 18:56
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hang on! We've only just got th GBA - Live for the moment!
Sat 21/07/01 at 17:34
just imagine you could be sitting on a wall, whilst kickin as on perfect dark! or banjo tooie
Fri 20/07/01 at 09:50
Regular
"DS..."
probably, but just imagine being able to play new versions of classic n64 games on a 64-bit gameboy! that would be incredible! plus Nintendo could re-invent the whole online-gaming thing for amazing multiplayer games that are even better than on the 64! guess we'll just have to wait and see.....
slik ?_?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.