GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Vs PC Gaming"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/07/01 at 13:20
Regular
Being the owner of a PS2 and PC (as most of your are) I started thinking about the relative similarities and differences of gaming on each platform. I have enjoyed PC gaming for many a year now (starting with my 8086!) and only recently have I moved on to consoles. Having owned and got rid of an N64 (for all its downfalls, a giant leap in videogaming was made with this console), I took the plunge with a PS2. I certainly wasn't dissapointed, and after a while I found myself spending more time on it than my PC.

Personally, there were a few reasons why I was doing this.

The first reason is slightly selfish. I spend all day on a PC and the last thing I want to do is to come home, sit at my desk and tap away on a keyboard. I may aswel stay in work and wait til everyone buggers off home and slip my Deus EX cdrom into my workstation. My PS2 oozes relaxation situated just next to the TV and in arms reach of my sofa. Gaming in a horizontal position is far less stressful.

Graphically I find the two platforms on a par. Until the new GFORCE3 or whatever the next big thing is called hits the shops I cant see much of a difference. I'm purposely avoiding technicalities here as I feel it comes down purely to what you see - not what clock speed the processors are running at or how many polygons they're chucking around. Its all pretty much incidental (please note - I find PC gamers are far more reliant on this kind of information than console gamers). Now, you will all say 'yeah but we can buy new graphics cards blah de blah ....' and yes, this is all well and good, but a graphics card the price of a ps2? Hmmmpphh... I like technology, but not THAT much.

Patches - what is all that about? Are PC games the only product available to buy nowadays that rarely work on their first try?? Would you be satisfied if you bought a colour TV that only worked in black and white? Of course not! Imagine a shop saying 'well sir, it MAY work, but it MAY not. And if it doesn't YOU have to pay to get it fixed'. After all, thats what you have to do when you download the latest patch from the net. Ok its not expensive but proportionally its a rip off (some of these patches are about 30Mb!). God bless the simplicity of popping that DVD rom into the PS2 and closing the draw. 30 seconds later you are playing. No patches, no glitches - a universal standard. If the game dont work, its broke, get another. Simple.

Control is another thing. Having started with PC's I found the transition to the ps2 simple, although you have to discard everything you learn from your pc days. There is a whole different ethos with the PS2. You only have to look at the controller to know it wont be long before you can start enjoying youself. Dont get me wrong - although the controller has many buttons and features (analogue buttons being the best)it is designed for pick up and play. Not so with the old mouse and keyboard on a PC. Do they still make those keyboard templates on PC games desiged to fit over your keys? They were great.... I mean how difficult do you want it to be? I remember playing deus ex for the first time and being overwhelmed by the number of keys I could use. Manual in one hand, mouse in the other does not make for competent gaming.

Multiplayer vs online. I love playing against other people. In fact I would say that its the main reasons I enjoy gaming. When I first discovered online pc gaming I was very excited. Little did I know that the whole experience is one big frustrating nightmare. From finding a decent server, downloading the latest patches, getting a half reasonable ping to learning new controls, its a mess. How many of you have joined a game, waited for 20 minutes or so then been booted off cos our 56k's aren't up to scratch? I worked it out and when playing Rogue Spear I would get an average of 17 minutes gamepley for every hour I was online. Fun. I dont think so. The idea is great, the execution sadly leaves a lot to be desired. Multiplayer on PS2 is a good laugh. A few friends (you know, the guys we email all day...), some beers and 4 controllers. ISS is permanently on my machine when the boys come round. I like to rub peoples faces in it when I win, or take flak if I lose. I don't like some anonymous geezer using some abbreviated term and then booting me.

The games. Whatever chokes your chicken on this one. I love PC games and I love PS2 games. If I want to get submersed I choose a PC game, and if I want to have fun I choose a PS2 game. After all, this is supposed to be entertainment. I imagine that the bridge between the two platforms, gaming wise, will be narrowed over the following months ultimately benefiting the ps2 owner. We are starting to see quality titles that excel in graphics, sound and gameplay (GT3, MGS2 etc etc) - pushing the console to the limits it was designed for. Healthy competition from the Xbox and GC will only help to fuel this too. These are exciting times.

Make what you will from this post, after all it is only my opinion and I urge you to share yours.

Craw
Thu 19/07/01 at 13:20
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Being the owner of a PS2 and PC (as most of your are) I started thinking about the relative similarities and differences of gaming on each platform. I have enjoyed PC gaming for many a year now (starting with my 8086!) and only recently have I moved on to consoles. Having owned and got rid of an N64 (for all its downfalls, a giant leap in videogaming was made with this console), I took the plunge with a PS2. I certainly wasn't dissapointed, and after a while I found myself spending more time on it than my PC.

Personally, there were a few reasons why I was doing this.

The first reason is slightly selfish. I spend all day on a PC and the last thing I want to do is to come home, sit at my desk and tap away on a keyboard. I may aswel stay in work and wait til everyone buggers off home and slip my Deus EX cdrom into my workstation. My PS2 oozes relaxation situated just next to the TV and in arms reach of my sofa. Gaming in a horizontal position is far less stressful.

Graphically I find the two platforms on a par. Until the new GFORCE3 or whatever the next big thing is called hits the shops I cant see much of a difference. I'm purposely avoiding technicalities here as I feel it comes down purely to what you see - not what clock speed the processors are running at or how many polygons they're chucking around. Its all pretty much incidental (please note - I find PC gamers are far more reliant on this kind of information than console gamers). Now, you will all say 'yeah but we can buy new graphics cards blah de blah ....' and yes, this is all well and good, but a graphics card the price of a ps2? Hmmmpphh... I like technology, but not THAT much.

Patches - what is all that about? Are PC games the only product available to buy nowadays that rarely work on their first try?? Would you be satisfied if you bought a colour TV that only worked in black and white? Of course not! Imagine a shop saying 'well sir, it MAY work, but it MAY not. And if it doesn't YOU have to pay to get it fixed'. After all, thats what you have to do when you download the latest patch from the net. Ok its not expensive but proportionally its a rip off (some of these patches are about 30Mb!). God bless the simplicity of popping that DVD rom into the PS2 and closing the draw. 30 seconds later you are playing. No patches, no glitches - a universal standard. If the game dont work, its broke, get another. Simple.

Control is another thing. Having started with PC's I found the transition to the ps2 simple, although you have to discard everything you learn from your pc days. There is a whole different ethos with the PS2. You only have to look at the controller to know it wont be long before you can start enjoying youself. Dont get me wrong - although the controller has many buttons and features (analogue buttons being the best)it is designed for pick up and play. Not so with the old mouse and keyboard on a PC. Do they still make those keyboard templates on PC games desiged to fit over your keys? They were great.... I mean how difficult do you want it to be? I remember playing deus ex for the first time and being overwhelmed by the number of keys I could use. Manual in one hand, mouse in the other does not make for competent gaming.

Multiplayer vs online. I love playing against other people. In fact I would say that its the main reasons I enjoy gaming. When I first discovered online pc gaming I was very excited. Little did I know that the whole experience is one big frustrating nightmare. From finding a decent server, downloading the latest patches, getting a half reasonable ping to learning new controls, its a mess. How many of you have joined a game, waited for 20 minutes or so then been booted off cos our 56k's aren't up to scratch? I worked it out and when playing Rogue Spear I would get an average of 17 minutes gamepley for every hour I was online. Fun. I dont think so. The idea is great, the execution sadly leaves a lot to be desired. Multiplayer on PS2 is a good laugh. A few friends (you know, the guys we email all day...), some beers and 4 controllers. ISS is permanently on my machine when the boys come round. I like to rub peoples faces in it when I win, or take flak if I lose. I don't like some anonymous geezer using some abbreviated term and then booting me.

The games. Whatever chokes your chicken on this one. I love PC games and I love PS2 games. If I want to get submersed I choose a PC game, and if I want to have fun I choose a PS2 game. After all, this is supposed to be entertainment. I imagine that the bridge between the two platforms, gaming wise, will be narrowed over the following months ultimately benefiting the ps2 owner. We are starting to see quality titles that excel in graphics, sound and gameplay (GT3, MGS2 etc etc) - pushing the console to the limits it was designed for. Healthy competition from the Xbox and GC will only help to fuel this too. These are exciting times.

Make what you will from this post, after all it is only my opinion and I urge you to share yours.

Craw
Thu 19/07/01 at 13:25
"High polygon count"
Craw wrote:
> Graphically I find the two platforms on a par.
> Until the new GFORCE3 or whatever the next big thing is called hits
> the shops I cant see much of a difference.

It's already in the shops - I have on in my SR MAXX PC.

And so far i've seen nothing that rivals GT3! :-)
Fri 20/07/01 at 10:06
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:

It's
> already in the shops - I have on in my SR MAXX PC.

Just goes to prove my point about spending more time on my PS2. Should've known that.
Fri 20/07/01 at 13:09
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I really do not want a PS2

A) I have a 1300mhz PC
B) I am waiting for the real game pros - Ninty - to sell the Gamecube.
Fri 20/07/01 at 13:11
Regular
"gsybe you!"
By the way, there is another topic named exactly like this in the same forum!

And it was posted before this one!

Copywright?
Fri 20/07/01 at 13:20
"High polygon count"
Cyclone wrote:
> I really do not want a PS2

Your choice, of course.

> A) I have a 1300mhz PC

I have a P4 1.7GHz, 256Mb RAM, 80Gb HD space, and 64Mb GeForce3 graphics card. Still wouldn't be without my PS2 though! My point? PC spec is pretty irrelevant when choosing a console - there are just some games you can get on consoles that just will not appear on the PC.

> B) I am waiting for the real game pros - Ninty - to sell the Gamecube.

Fair enough - I have no problem with that.
Fri 20/07/01 at 13:24
Regular
"gsybe you!"
And then there are some that you can't get on consoles

i.e Mechcommander 2

(I know I gon about this game, but it is amazing!)
Fri 20/07/01 at 13:25
Regular
"gsybe you!"
And anyway, i don't want GT3
Fri 20/07/01 at 13:33
"High polygon count"
Cyclone wrote:
> And anyway, i don't want GT3

I don't recall saying anything about GT3. Not to you, anyway.
Fri 20/07/01 at 13:54
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Cyclone wrote:
> And anyway, i don't want GT3

Nurse1 We have a situation here..... NUUUURRSE!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.