GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Violence in games.."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/04/04 at 19:34
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
There's a topic like this in the classic games forum, but since no-one goes there anymore I thought a topic like this would get more attention here.

GTA is probably the biggest scapegoat, I mean remember that kid in America that shot up a car with a shotgun? GTA was the prime target in that case, but really, people should ask themselves how a kid got hold of a gun, and, managed to walk down the street with it!

Personally I think violence in games is nothing but a good thing because it allows you to vent your anger out on little fake people, without these type of games you would probably just take your anger out on some stranger, like the first person that looked at you funny or something.
Fri 30/04/04 at 00:04
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Videogames do not CAUSE violence despite what the soccer mom brigade would like everyone to think but can be a contributing factor to someone who's already wacked off their noggin doing something totally stupid. Anything could have set them off but instead of actually concentrating the area of blame on the right people, i.e the parents, society finds a scapegoat for the violence which happens to be videogames.
Thu 29/04/04 at 21:16
Regular
But it's not copyrighted, therefore I can use it as I please, free of those nasty copyright infringement ordeals...
Thu 29/04/04 at 21:13
Regular
"Darn it!!!!!!™"
Triarii wrote:
> The scales and gills and the fact that I can't breathe out of water
> always gives the game away... darn it...

ah ah ah, thats my tagline
Thu 29/04/04 at 21:10
Regular
The scales and gills and the fact that I can't breathe out of water always gives the game away... darn it...
Thu 29/04/04 at 21:08
Regular
"Darn it!!!!!!™"
Triarii your a fish
Thu 29/04/04 at 21:00
Regular
You would literally have to be retarded not to know the difference between real life and videogames. It's understandable that a VERY young child might not know, but children are not allowed access to these games by law.
Thu 29/04/04 at 19:54
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Silën† Thundêr wrote:
> You have to be pretty messed up before you actually played any
> 'violent' game to be influenced by it so much that you have to copy
> it.

Yea that's true, and if somebody is that 'messed up' then someone should keep an eye on them, and keep them away from games that could influence them badly.

> It's the player who should know that it isn't real life and you wont be > able to do these actions in life.

I know, it's just common sense. I mean I was playing GT3 today and there was a warning stating that it was dangerous to drive cars the same way in real life. I mean anyone that doesn't know that just shouldn't be allowed to play games in the first place.

> Plus it's also it is a good stress reliever.

And that's all they are designed to be, all these anti-violence people should open their eyes and realise that.
Thu 29/04/04 at 19:39
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
You have to be pretty messed up before you actually played any 'violent' game to be influenced by it so much that you have to copy it. Games should always be allowed to have levels of violence in them. It's the player who should know that it isn't real life and you wont be able to do these actions in life. And also it is a good stress reliever. :-)
Thu 29/04/04 at 19:34
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
There's a topic like this in the classic games forum, but since no-one goes there anymore I thought a topic like this would get more attention here.

GTA is probably the biggest scapegoat, I mean remember that kid in America that shot up a car with a shotgun? GTA was the prime target in that case, but really, people should ask themselves how a kid got hold of a gun, and, managed to walk down the street with it!

Personally I think violence in games is nothing but a good thing because it allows you to vent your anger out on little fake people, without these type of games you would probably just take your anger out on some stranger, like the first person that looked at you funny or something.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.