GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Intel Beginning To Lose Ground?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/07/01 at 09:12
Regular
I remeber in the early ninties when Cyrix and AMD really started to try and challange Intel...

At that point, magazines, even though optimistic of the the chip manufacturers survival, suggested that their chances of being any more successful than annyoing Intel were pretty much impossible....

A few years on, and Intel still do dominate the market. Killing off the threat of RISK chips by buying the makrets producers and slowly closing their production down...

Subjecting the world to the Blue Men Trio (which as Homer pointed out, stole their ideas from the Smurfs)...

And, just last night, managed to lose 76% of their profits...

As nabbed from Silicon.com ...

"Semiconductor giant Intel's second quarter profits took a dive of 76 per cent last night as it battled with a slowing economy, falling PC sales and a raging price war with rival AMD.

Profits fell in the second quarter to $854m down from $3.5bn a year ago. Intel shares fell to 23 cents, although the results were in line with analysts' forecasts.

Processor shipments have actually increased by about six per cent. Sales for the quarter were $6.3bn, down 24 per cent from $8.3bn 12 months ago. The company quickly moved to dampen investor worries. Intel forecast that third quarter sales would be between $6.2bn and $6.8bn, compared to $6.3bn in the second quarter.
In an interview with Reuters, CFO Andy Bryant pointed to this as a sign that the customary seasonal boost in sales could be expected this year.

He told Reuters: "This gives us confidence that the stronger seasonal second half that we typically experience will happen."

Yesterday, the chip manufacturer announced the latest sally in its price war with AMD when it slashed the prices of its Pentium III and Celeron processors by up to 37 per cent.

All chip makers are casting about for new revenue streams as the PC market slows down. Intel is thought to be looking to concentrate more on server and hand-held devices in the future.

Julian Goldsmith"
Thu 26/07/01 at 12:34
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
I currently own an AMD Duron 750 processor (about £40 from Dabs.com) which is supported by 384mb RAm and it absolutely rocks. I'm also using a Geforce2MX graphics card and run Quake3 at 112fps on it's highest settings. The other great thing Duron processors is over-clocking them - it's so easy. The other day, I had mine running at 950Mhz! And thanks to my huge fan and heatsink (the £10 one in SR), the temperature hardly changed!
Despite this, I'm still going to upgrade to an Athlon 1000 soon because I can't wait to see what those babies can do!
Fri 20/07/01 at 12:45
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Andrew Hunt wrote:
> The problem I have with P4's is not that tyhe chips cost so much (I
> once bought a PII 450 for £500) but that you need to buy all
> new RAM, a new case and a new motherboard. This means that you can
> not gradualy upgrade which is what I usually do. I currently run an
> Athlon 1ghz which is plenty fast enough with 256 RAM and a TNT2
> graphics card.

What is going on with the price of the new RAM?

I realise current RAM prices are ludicrously cheap... but the jump in price between the two different types is just silly :)

Personally, I'm going for a big shift... I used to upgrade manually, build my own machine and all, but these days I cant be bothered... I'm going to wait until the 2Gig machines are released and bag one of them...

Jumping from a P2 450 to a P4 2G should be interesting :)
Fri 20/07/01 at 08:33
Regular
The problem I have with P4's is not that tyhe chips cost so much (I once bought a PII 450 for £500) but that you need to buy all new RAM, a new case and a new motherboard. This means that you can not gradualy upgrade which is what I usually do. I currently run an Athlon 1ghz which is plenty fast enough with 256 RAM and a TNT2 graphics card.
Fri 20/07/01 at 00:31
Regular
"How Handy."
well, I know that I would definetly only use AMD. Tests prove they're faster and cheaper. What else could you want??
Thu 19/07/01 at 17:58
Regular
...and the business news will be back on radio 4 at the same time tomorrow...

:-)
Thu 19/07/01 at 09:12
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I remeber in the early ninties when Cyrix and AMD really started to try and challange Intel...

At that point, magazines, even though optimistic of the the chip manufacturers survival, suggested that their chances of being any more successful than annyoing Intel were pretty much impossible....

A few years on, and Intel still do dominate the market. Killing off the threat of RISK chips by buying the makrets producers and slowly closing their production down...

Subjecting the world to the Blue Men Trio (which as Homer pointed out, stole their ideas from the Smurfs)...

And, just last night, managed to lose 76% of their profits...

As nabbed from Silicon.com ...

"Semiconductor giant Intel's second quarter profits took a dive of 76 per cent last night as it battled with a slowing economy, falling PC sales and a raging price war with rival AMD.

Profits fell in the second quarter to $854m down from $3.5bn a year ago. Intel shares fell to 23 cents, although the results were in line with analysts' forecasts.

Processor shipments have actually increased by about six per cent. Sales for the quarter were $6.3bn, down 24 per cent from $8.3bn 12 months ago. The company quickly moved to dampen investor worries. Intel forecast that third quarter sales would be between $6.2bn and $6.8bn, compared to $6.3bn in the second quarter.
In an interview with Reuters, CFO Andy Bryant pointed to this as a sign that the customary seasonal boost in sales could be expected this year.

He told Reuters: "This gives us confidence that the stronger seasonal second half that we typically experience will happen."

Yesterday, the chip manufacturer announced the latest sally in its price war with AMD when it slashed the prices of its Pentium III and Celeron processors by up to 37 per cent.

All chip makers are casting about for new revenue streams as the PC market slows down. Intel is thought to be looking to concentrate more on server and hand-held devices in the future.

Julian Goldsmith"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.