GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A wonderful thought..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker'.
Sun 02/05/04 at 14:19
Regular
...Zelda DS.

After the head Wind Waker bloke hinted towards the DS furthering the Zelda series, it's really got me thinking. Now because of twin processors and the obvious duel screen, we could get half A Link to the Past, half Ocarina of Time, using both the N64-capable engine and the GBA one.

Now it may sound stupid at first, but just imagine for a minute how much it would rock. Instead of having some stupid map on the extra screen, Zelda could really use the DS' set-up to it's fullest.

Scenario 1: Say there's a massive boss on the OOT screen, that's filling the screen and there's seemingly no way to dodge attacks or exploit his weak points, take a look at the LttP screen (with the birdseye view) and perhaps veins on his head or something will move when he can be attacked, or momentarily before he tries to hurt you.

Scenario 2: Remember that maze on ALttP with the monkey in it? Well how about on the OOT screen you have a perfect view of maze, the enemies inside, but on the GBA screen you can't see Link at all. Say you have to follow another monkey or something similar, you'd have to keep you eye on both screens to get through.

Scenario 3: Something just as simple as birds that can't be seen on the 3D screen must be attacked on the 2D screen, similar to the boss, to avoid attacks and the like.

Whether the actual game will be anything like this is yet to be seen, but the thought is certainly wonderful to say the least.
Mon 03/05/04 at 18:12
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Rickoss wrote:
> If that does happen, I'll just say "I told you so" and try
> to make you think I said Nintendo would actually make a game like
> this. :-D

Sounds awfully familiar that tactic.. :)
Mon 03/05/04 at 13:15
Regular
If that does happen, I'll just say "I told you so" and try to make you think I said Nintendo would actually make a game like this. :-D
Mon 03/05/04 at 13:11
Regular
"thursdayton!"
You'll see exactly what he's described in Zelda DS now, Ninty will have thieved it. :)
Mon 03/05/04 at 12:47
Regular
Just the thought of having two seperate viewpoints in one game could be so great. Some things can only be achieved on the 3D screen (such as a first-person aiming for bow, hookshot and the like) and others on the 2D (like I mentioend, birds eye view).

For bosses you could maybe be aimign with the bow on the 3D screen, while watching for a weak point to be revealed on the other screen. It would be wonderful having two perspectives of the Zelda universe and if implimented properly, could be superb. This the kind of idea I get from the DS, let's be honest, an extra map, radar or the like isn't groundbreaking stuff.

The only problem I could see is getting the twin proccessors to work in harmony. Of course I know nothign about games programming, so it could be simple, but this is the kind of idea I expect to see from Nintendo; instead of helping the game experience with extra info, really improving it and taking it to new levels.
Mon 03/05/04 at 11:49
Regular
That would mean two pplayers to a DS! :-D

I'm guessing that the main screen would have the Gamecube's screen (which would be the same for everyone) and the second screen would have the GBA screen (personal data).

But while that would be fun as a spin-off, Rickoss' idea sounds a bit more intruiging for a single player game...
Although I find it fairly hard to visualise working properly...

Expand on it Rickio!
Tell us more! :-)
Sun 02/05/04 at 23:54
Regular
"thursdayton!"
"Two Swords" - one for each screen?
Sun 02/05/04 at 16:03
Regular
It'll probably be an extension of the four swords series.
Sun 02/05/04 at 14:50
Regular
How about that the touch senistive screen had an overview of your items, so that you could choose the items froom there. I have always found it bothering to pause the game to change my item selection.
Sun 02/05/04 at 14:46
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Even better:

On one screen you have Link, fighting his way through dungeons, riding/sailing/flying over the landscape and hunting for treasure.

On the other screen, which you can switch to at any time for a bit of side-quest fun, you have Tingle's Adventure. Where you can whip your brother's backsides, fly around holding balloons and shout "Koo-loo-limpah!".

Well. I'd buy it.
Sun 02/05/04 at 14:19
Regular
...Zelda DS.

After the head Wind Waker bloke hinted towards the DS furthering the Zelda series, it's really got me thinking. Now because of twin processors and the obvious duel screen, we could get half A Link to the Past, half Ocarina of Time, using both the N64-capable engine and the GBA one.

Now it may sound stupid at first, but just imagine for a minute how much it would rock. Instead of having some stupid map on the extra screen, Zelda could really use the DS' set-up to it's fullest.

Scenario 1: Say there's a massive boss on the OOT screen, that's filling the screen and there's seemingly no way to dodge attacks or exploit his weak points, take a look at the LttP screen (with the birdseye view) and perhaps veins on his head or something will move when he can be attacked, or momentarily before he tries to hurt you.

Scenario 2: Remember that maze on ALttP with the monkey in it? Well how about on the OOT screen you have a perfect view of maze, the enemies inside, but on the GBA screen you can't see Link at all. Say you have to follow another monkey or something similar, you'd have to keep you eye on both screens to get through.

Scenario 3: Something just as simple as birds that can't be seen on the 3D screen must be attacked on the 2D screen, similar to the boss, to avoid attacks and the like.

Whether the actual game will be anything like this is yet to be seen, but the thought is certainly wonderful to say the least.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.