GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XIII - Quicky review."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Xiii'.
Wed 05/05/04 at 08:17
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Excellent, stylish and atmospheric.

Some of the AI is a little ropey ("Oh, you've been shot in the head by a crossbow bolt have you mate? I'll just stand and watch") but this is made up by the pure entertainment value.

Great storyline, if a little unoriginal, think "The Bourne Identity" meets the Kennedy assasination, and an absolutely fantastic ending.

I was swearing at the monitor. Literally calling it all the names under the sun. Those that have completed the game will know exactly what I mean. :)

Well worth the cheapie price paid. Buy, and enjoy stylish storytelling and entertainment over slow engines, integrated physics and realistic graphics. This will probably be the last of these types of gams (static enviroments) and I've a feeling the second XIII game will be along the lines of Farcry, Half Life 2 and Doom3.
Sat 08/05/04 at 14:50
Regular
Anyone know where I can get a NO CD crack for this game? I'm tired of putting in the CD everytime I want to play it.
Fri 07/05/04 at 10:48
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I played it for four hours straight when I first got my Xbox. Got halfway through the game, but then I managed to turn off the xbox without saving it. Couldn't be bothered to catch up - got Halo instead. That justa bout sums it up, little to no replay value. The enemies are still in the same place, and they always do the same thing. If it wasn't for the half-decent graphics, this game would have been forgotten about long ago.
Fri 07/05/04 at 10:47
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Cyclone wrote:
> It's not as fantasmo as people say, and the ending was so bleeding
> obvious it wasn't funny.

I really enjoyed the week spent playing it, but thats probably after getting bored senseless of UT style "Heres an arena, kill them all" style gameplay. The identity of number 1 was obvious as soon as I got the geneal gist of the plot though, but no less fun for it.

It's not an eearthchanging title by any means, but an entertaining diversion IMHO.
Fri 07/05/04 at 10:45
Regular
"gsybe you!"
It's not as fantasmo as people say, and the ending was so bleeding obvious it wasn't funny.

But it was good.
Fri 07/05/04 at 10:41
Regular
It's hardly generic, you can knock people out with chairs! Chaaaiiirs!

Seriously though, thanks to the stealth elements it's really, really good, the visuals are just the icing on the cake really.
Thu 06/05/04 at 16:30
Regular
"A man with a stick"
As much as I'm tempted, I was never convinced with the demo just seemed like a generic shooter with some stylish graphics. If it weren’t for Hitman Contracts and UT2004 I would be hard pressed not to have taken advantage of SR's offer just to give it a go, but have just too little time to spare for more game right now.
Thu 06/05/04 at 16:18
Regular
I agree totally, I thoroughly enjoyed this title and it was definatly worth the money.

I just loved the whole thing, and the storyline was magnificent, although I kind of figured the ending from the begninning credits anyway.

9/10.
Thu 06/05/04 at 15:23
Regular
It is a great shame, but hopefully they'll still go ahead with it. I want to escape that ship, damn it! :-D

Despite having dodgy sales with Prince of Persia they're still making a sequel, so let's just hope they don't completely forget about XIII.
Wed 05/05/04 at 14:04
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Rickoss wrote:
> Well it's based on a German comic book, so I would have thought the
> storyline would have been a little more original back then.

Belgian actually. And "Code XIII 1 - The Day of the Black Sun" (1989) was written well after the first Bourne book (1981) ;P

> It is a wonderful game, though. Ending is wonderful, shame there's
> been so many rumours about Ubi-Soft skipping a sequel. Brilliant
> title.

Fully agree.

As you can see, I've been doing a bit of research seeing if I can get the graphic novel it's based on English language. Looks as if I can only get one and a later on at that, but not the full lot. Grrrr.

I was *devastated* to find out that there's probably not going to be a sequel. It's criminal to leave it hanging like that, although Ubisoft didn't get half as many sales as they were expecting.

Typical of the games buying public. Overlook the good, stylish stuff and simply buy the latest footy management game or the latest instalment of Fifa ("Fifa 2004, March, Third week, Wednesday afternoon". Well, It might as well be...........)
Wed 05/05/04 at 12:04
Regular
Well it's based on a German comic book, so I would have thought the storyline would have been a little more original back then.

It is a wonderful game, though. Ending is wonderful, shame there's been so many rumours about Ubi-Soft skipping a sequel. Brilliant title.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.