GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dead 'N Furious (DS)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Dead 'N Furious'.
Thu 11/01/07 at 03:30
Regular
"Captain to you."
I know what you are thinking; he’s just making up games now. This really is a new Nintendo DS game, which can be summed up in a few words “Zombie shooter”.

I’d best describe this game as a Light gun game for the DS, only minus a light gun. You don’t control the movements of your character you only control the weapon and the ammo, much like any light gun game.

When I first saw videos and screenshots I hadn’t read anything about the game, I had assumed it would be a FPS game like Metroid where you have full control over the character’s movements and looking around. I was wrong, oh so wrong.

The controls are as follows, tap the screen where you want to fire your gun, and drag bullets from the right of the screen to the left of the screen to reload your gun.

Simple you might think, as surely tapping the screen where you want to shoot should be very easy to get through the game as you should never miss, but the creators in their one genius moment while thinking up this game decided that they would out man you severely with zombies, so much so that you almost panic every time they come on screen as you have to reload so fast and shoot the right zombies so as not to have a faster one get to you through the slow ones that you will often miss your target, which in most cases is the head.

This means this game is no walk over this is shown at the start of the game when you are given 20 lives, you can get hit 20 times and then you are dead, sure there are the odd health pick up and you even get 3-4 back at the end of a level, but levels are surprisingly long and very zombie filled.

You are an inmate in a prison who wakes up to find his cell door wide open and other cells empty only to discover everyone has turned in to zombies. You pick up a pistol early in the game which I assumed was dropped by one of the zombie guards, ammo luckily is infinite for the pistol which is good as you shoot so much it would have meant needing to drag a caravan full of ammo behind you the whole game otherwise.

Along the way through your escape of the prison and the surrounding areas you will pick up new weapons and even upgrades, which for the pistol are faster reloading, which is sorely needed and a power increase meaning that some zombies only take one shot to the head rather than 2-3 which means less reloading in the middle of fights.

The camera moves you like most light gun games, you are put in a set place and enemies will arrive, you must kill them all and then the camera will move you again, this feels a little strange to be honest on a hand held which has 6 buttons and a D-pad the only time you use anything other than the touch screen is to press the D-pad to change weapons.

All of the action for the game is on the bottom screen of the DS unsurprisingly as you’d have a real job shooting on the other screen. The top is occupied by your health status and your weapons and the layout give the impression that they weren’t too sure what to put here as it’s a bit sparse to be honest.

Graphically this game isn’t up to Metroid standard and a lot of the zombies are the same models over and over, this didn’t particularly detract too much form the game but the environment did.

You often get the sense that the levels themselves weren’t overly thought out for detail, the prison although you expect the same colours everywhere so repeating textures wasn’t such a big deal, you would also expect to see signs of some sort of struggle or at least a corpse or two on the ground, maybe a splash of blood on the floor or walls, but it’s like everyone turned into zombies, ate a few people and then went around with a mop and bucket to clean all their mess up.

If this becomes a cheap game it might be worth picking up, if only because they included a Co-op mode so you and a friend could work your way through the game together, but this game doesn’t try to sell much of a story to you and for a portable game it’s alright for a quick bash on while on the train, but hardly something you would think about spending any afternoon on if you where alone.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 11/01/07 at 03:30
Regular
"Captain to you."
I know what you are thinking; he’s just making up games now. This really is a new Nintendo DS game, which can be summed up in a few words “Zombie shooter”.

I’d best describe this game as a Light gun game for the DS, only minus a light gun. You don’t control the movements of your character you only control the weapon and the ammo, much like any light gun game.

When I first saw videos and screenshots I hadn’t read anything about the game, I had assumed it would be a FPS game like Metroid where you have full control over the character’s movements and looking around. I was wrong, oh so wrong.

The controls are as follows, tap the screen where you want to fire your gun, and drag bullets from the right of the screen to the left of the screen to reload your gun.

Simple you might think, as surely tapping the screen where you want to shoot should be very easy to get through the game as you should never miss, but the creators in their one genius moment while thinking up this game decided that they would out man you severely with zombies, so much so that you almost panic every time they come on screen as you have to reload so fast and shoot the right zombies so as not to have a faster one get to you through the slow ones that you will often miss your target, which in most cases is the head.

This means this game is no walk over this is shown at the start of the game when you are given 20 lives, you can get hit 20 times and then you are dead, sure there are the odd health pick up and you even get 3-4 back at the end of a level, but levels are surprisingly long and very zombie filled.

You are an inmate in a prison who wakes up to find his cell door wide open and other cells empty only to discover everyone has turned in to zombies. You pick up a pistol early in the game which I assumed was dropped by one of the zombie guards, ammo luckily is infinite for the pistol which is good as you shoot so much it would have meant needing to drag a caravan full of ammo behind you the whole game otherwise.

Along the way through your escape of the prison and the surrounding areas you will pick up new weapons and even upgrades, which for the pistol are faster reloading, which is sorely needed and a power increase meaning that some zombies only take one shot to the head rather than 2-3 which means less reloading in the middle of fights.

The camera moves you like most light gun games, you are put in a set place and enemies will arrive, you must kill them all and then the camera will move you again, this feels a little strange to be honest on a hand held which has 6 buttons and a D-pad the only time you use anything other than the touch screen is to press the D-pad to change weapons.

All of the action for the game is on the bottom screen of the DS unsurprisingly as you’d have a real job shooting on the other screen. The top is occupied by your health status and your weapons and the layout give the impression that they weren’t too sure what to put here as it’s a bit sparse to be honest.

Graphically this game isn’t up to Metroid standard and a lot of the zombies are the same models over and over, this didn’t particularly detract too much form the game but the environment did.

You often get the sense that the levels themselves weren’t overly thought out for detail, the prison although you expect the same colours everywhere so repeating textures wasn’t such a big deal, you would also expect to see signs of some sort of struggle or at least a corpse or two on the ground, maybe a splash of blood on the floor or walls, but it’s like everyone turned into zombies, ate a few people and then went around with a mop and bucket to clean all their mess up.

If this becomes a cheap game it might be worth picking up, if only because they included a Co-op mode so you and a friend could work your way through the game together, but this game doesn’t try to sell much of a story to you and for a portable game it’s alright for a quick bash on while on the train, but hardly something you would think about spending any afternoon on if you where alone.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.