GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"" Are computer games bad for you? ""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/07/01 at 17:41
Regular
Well I myself am not asking that question, it is a vote I have stumbled across.

I saw 'Newsround' and it told me to go to their web-site, I was bored so went to send in an insane view that is not your average 15 year olds point of view. Usually the average one talkes about bleedin Harry Potter and something trivial and English :D. I was going to talk about something to do with Capital Punishment or Human Rights which would never get shown on TV because it would be too intellictual for the viewers who like to stick wooden Spoons in their ears. (taken from latest story).

Anyway since I have got my views on 'Newsround' across lets talk about this stupid vote they are going on about.

Well I thought let me guess what point they are trying to get across. I bet someone has been acussed of hitting his little brother with a wooden spoon because he plays Half-Life or some crap like that. Well actually they have no point its just a vote and I am happy to say most people have said no. 75% NO, 25% YES

Well what do I have to say to that 25%? Well basically shut up :D Just because somebody plays a game with a gun in it and then actually goes out and shoots someone it doesn't mean they have been influenced by the game... they are basically just like that.

Games are not to blame... they are not bad for you, it is you are bad for you. People who do that stuff need help and don't need their ill health to blamed on games.

If of course they are talking about something more stupid like... "They make you lazy"? Well shut up again :D And games have been proven to improve intelligence as well so it is not draining your brain. People say get outside and play and stop playing video games... well at this present time it is wet, cold and miserable so I would rather play football on my computer in my nice warm house.

Well what a useless rant I don't know how many times it needs to be said.
Tue 17/07/01 at 23:49
Regular
I can't find that Dringo anywhere!
Tue 17/07/01 at 23:45
Regular
"everyone says it"
I am the Tarrant wrote:
In short, I agree with er-no.

Cheers Tarrant, I wondered if anyone was going to share their feelings on the subject!
Tue 17/07/01 at 23:40
Both my older and younger brothers get really irritable and, yes, EVIL!!!!! after having played computre games. Whereas I do not!

According to my folks anyway.

... and hey, they should know!

In short, I agree with er-no.
Tue 17/07/01 at 22:19
Regular
"everyone says it"
Computer games are not bad for you, this is the opinion of us gamers, but then again we are only ever going to take into account our own experiences with computer games, many people in the world because of computer games have suffered one or another damaging effect/s.

My parents see computer games as a difficult thing to sum up, in one mind they keep me quiet and occupied, and until not so long ok they kept me wealthy. In the other sense they see it as a waste of money, time and not planning for the future.

As I only take into account my own situation I can really only comment from personal experiences and thoughts. Computer games speed up reflexes, and thumb strength, they decrease boredom levels and are extremely entertaining, but for every advantage of computer games, some expert or nerd of the world will be able to think up a disadvantage, saying it lowers the social behavior of the being or causes migranes and eye problems, well as far as I can 'see' the problem only seems to be in the people who dislike videogames and don't see them for their beauty and fun.

I took the trouble of asking my dad what he thought on this matter while he passed by the back of my chair. (just happened)

'Dad. Are computer games bad for people?'

'Yes I think they are'

'Why do you think that?'

'I think people relating to computer screens is an anti-social behaviour which in the long run can be damaging'

Taking this one opinion of a father who allows a lot of computers and consoles to enter the house it got me thinking that maybe computer games can be a little damaging, I mean I probably have spent a long time on computers in my life, hell the total must have shot over (probably) one whole year of my life in front of a screen.

With this in mind, has it changed me? Well it obviously has, without that time I wouldn't have got my old job or have talked to most of you, it incouraged me onto the net and to got into the grey trading (import and export) market, it also helped me to 'find a way out' from everyday life and release tension and stress, basically I saw gaming as just another great form of entertainment (television with interactivity).

On the question of 'Are computer games bad for you?', well I guess it depends on who you are as a person, everyone reacts differently to different situations, I have given you my opinion, please tell me what you think.

Thanks
er-no
Tue 17/07/01 at 21:17
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Killers play games, games don’t make killers.
Tue 17/07/01 at 20:27
that was to end Mantis's comment
and fiction and reality
All those copycat killings in America where kids shot up their school proves that there is a problem with maniacs copying what they see elsewhere, and you would think that computer games would be a prime source of "innovation". However, the fact remains that is is the maniacs who should be locked up anyway that are bad for you, not the games themselves.
Tue 17/07/01 at 20:23
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
A person will do no harm to others as long as that person knows the difference between right and wrong.
Tue 17/07/01 at 20:19
Hey this is a fact. FPS'ers have been proven to improve hand eye coordination, and to enhance learning capabilities.

so all you Half Life freaks, rejoice, and newsround is thick!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.