GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The future is bright... the future is online!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/07/01 at 11:33
Regular
Online for consoles? People are wary. The whole thing about consoles is that its a machine just to play games on. But the online content has more possibilities that you think.

Think of a rally game. It's great thrashing your mates, and bieng the best in your group. then think that you could have a global high score table to prove your supremacy on. This - as quoted by many designers, is easy to do. Next step is to race against other people around the world (They allready have this working on Tony Hawkes 3). How about an online league? how about a world championships hosted by the creators? Imagine a full on rally, you race downloaded tracks from around the world, against others from all over the place. Companies would be able to advertise new games on the trackside. People not in the rally would be able to log on and watch the rally as if televised. Prizes could be offered for the winners by sponsors.

Then think of an RPG. a massive all-online world with you wandering around, solving puzzles and trying to complete the game. You could bump into another player from another country and discuss tactics, solutions to puzzles, barter itinery for clues and so on. You could pillage the graves of other players who have died. You could team up with other players, chat about when youre next online and play the game together. Parts of the game could require a group of people to complete so you would post a message to others telling them to log on and be there at a certain time.

The possibilities of online play are massive. It will open up a new door to gaming that we have yet to see, and the current crop of games that are slated for being too similar to their predesessors will end. Lets hope that the creative bods behind the games harness this power.
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:36
Regular
"gsybe you!"
You could triple the amount of users!

Shame about Ninty - I love them, but sometimes they are a bit slow!
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:24
Regular
I think what you really want to do is find the advert video for Square's PlayOnline service. Their system on this showed off exactly the types of things you have discussed here. You have an instant messenger service, an online jukebox, access to the internet and obviously, connection to the Final Fantasy World. Obviously other games will be supported, but they want this to be available on as many devices as possible, so it wont look too far away. It's just a shame that Nintendo don't seem to keen. Could you imagine a simultaneous release of Final Fantasy XI on all of the next gen consoles, and having the, all compatible, it will be good.
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:17
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
The rumour at the moment is the PS2 can play against PC users and DC users for some games as long as they are the same versions and have on-line capabilities. It looks like developers may be developing the same games for all the consoles instead of picking one and sticking to it.
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:11
Regular
"gsybe you!"
nope.

If THPS3 comes out on both the GC and PS2 - This must sound really thick - Would they be able to link together? (i am thinking they wouldn't but you never know....)
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:01
I am looking forward to the PS2 being online.

I suppose the game that I am most looking forward to using the online capabilities is Tony Hawks 3, and I expect I am not the only one.
Tue 17/07/01 at 16:45
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Yeah, I suppose - I can't wait for the GC and PS2 to have online gaming.
Tue 17/07/01 at 16:35
"High polygon count"
Yes, but this is a console forum, so you'd expect the post to be referring to the future of consoles, would you not?
Tue 17/07/01 at 16:32
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Its already here - PCs have had 'massive RPG' gaming for years.
Tue 17/07/01 at 11:33
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Online for consoles? People are wary. The whole thing about consoles is that its a machine just to play games on. But the online content has more possibilities that you think.

Think of a rally game. It's great thrashing your mates, and bieng the best in your group. then think that you could have a global high score table to prove your supremacy on. This - as quoted by many designers, is easy to do. Next step is to race against other people around the world (They allready have this working on Tony Hawkes 3). How about an online league? how about a world championships hosted by the creators? Imagine a full on rally, you race downloaded tracks from around the world, against others from all over the place. Companies would be able to advertise new games on the trackside. People not in the rally would be able to log on and watch the rally as if televised. Prizes could be offered for the winners by sponsors.

Then think of an RPG. a massive all-online world with you wandering around, solving puzzles and trying to complete the game. You could bump into another player from another country and discuss tactics, solutions to puzzles, barter itinery for clues and so on. You could pillage the graves of other players who have died. You could team up with other players, chat about when youre next online and play the game together. Parts of the game could require a group of people to complete so you would post a message to others telling them to log on and be there at a certain time.

The possibilities of online play are massive. It will open up a new door to gaming that we have yet to see, and the current crop of games that are slated for being too similar to their predesessors will end. Lets hope that the creative bods behind the games harness this power.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.