GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The best game in the world"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/07/01 at 20:02
Regular
People keep saying that games can be nearly life-like in realism, but no game I have ever seen is 100% realistic. The main fact is, if your playing a shoot em up and you use a rocket launcher, grenade, or any weapon causing an explosion, where is the hole in the wall, ceiling or floor?
Well there isnt one. Nintendo keep saying games will be very realistic but will they ever make the ultimate shoot em up where walls get holes on them? Sony and Sega do the same aswell.
You may say some games do, but the holes usually only crop up in places where you must destroy a wall to get out of a certain area, but if you shoot anywhere else on the wall, or even on a totally different wall, chances are the wall wont change shape in any way.

This isnt just for shoot em ups where games are not totally realistic, but its for all different types of games meant to be the best realistically. They simply cant do it.

This gets on my nerves when Playstation owners say their console is the best ever, as it is realistic. But is it...
Mon 16/07/01 at 20:02
People keep saying that games can be nearly life-like in realism, but no game I have ever seen is 100% realistic. The main fact is, if your playing a shoot em up and you use a rocket launcher, grenade, or any weapon causing an explosion, where is the hole in the wall, ceiling or floor?
Well there isnt one. Nintendo keep saying games will be very realistic but will they ever make the ultimate shoot em up where walls get holes on them? Sony and Sega do the same aswell.
You may say some games do, but the holes usually only crop up in places where you must destroy a wall to get out of a certain area, but if you shoot anywhere else on the wall, or even on a totally different wall, chances are the wall wont change shape in any way.

This isnt just for shoot em ups where games are not totally realistic, but its for all different types of games meant to be the best realistically. They simply cant do it.

This gets on my nerves when Playstation owners say their console is the best ever, as it is realistic. But is it...
Mon 16/07/01 at 20:10
The problem is that it would be impossible to make a game 100% realistic.

For example, the Geo-Mod technology in Red Faction on the PS2 lets you blow holes in walls etc. but you couldn't blow holes in the perimeter wall that encloses areas, because if you blew a big enough hole in the wall you could walk through it. But where would you end up? A big black space: thats unrealistic. SO to make a game completely realistic you'd need to make a 3D model of the entire planet that a game is set on.

And that's just the terrain..
Mon 16/07/01 at 20:41
Regular
In the future, that may be possible!

Imagine games are created to such a level that although you have to follow a certain storyline, you can choose where you want to go next (anywhere that is) and then you can explore that area!

That would be good for Spy-type shoot-em-ups like James Bond games.

You could be ordered to go somewhere or to follow a master criminal, and you would end up travelling the world, trying to hide the fact that you're from British Intelligence, and causing as little or as much chaos as you want.

If the enemy disappears somewhere, you could try and work out where the enemy went and travel there!

Ok, Plane rides and things like that could get a bit boring, so you should have the ability to skip to the end of the ride if you want, but that could be a mistake to make because the criminal mastermind might do something important on this flight!

The only problem with this type of game is that if you restart, it would get a bit boring as you'll know where to go straight away and you might complete the game in a matter of minutes! Therefore some mode of artificial intelligence would be needed to make the game different slightly each time! CHances are you'll be faced with the same sequence of events, however you may end up on a totally new adventure!

This type of game would take years and years of programming! Every single part of daily life would need to be included! Newspapers would have to have news printed on them, TV would have to have some levels of varience, and events would have to be programmed to make sense with each other. The laws of nature and physics would need to be included also which could mean you'll end up facing a whole load of glitches.

This idea would need to be made up by a famous company like Sega, Nintendo or one of Electronic Arts different companies (e.g. Westwood Studios). It would need to be an instant hit with loads of publicity because I'm sure it would be very expensive to produce!

Who knows what will happen? Maybe this will be the future of videogames, one step away from realistic holograms!
Mon 16/07/01 at 20:52
Edgy, I'm sure that one day this will happen. I think that because games are going to have to keep moving forward, and an entire planet is what will be needed.

I bet that in 10 or 20 years, there will be a meeting with members from all the major developers and I bet they get together and make that world. It would be really good if they did. All they would need is the newspapers and the physics and stuff, and then all the developers can take this base code, if you like, and then customise it for their game, ie put different sprites in and change the buildings, for their game.

It would work, and I hope they will eventually!
Mon 16/07/01 at 20:55
Regular
"Back For Good"
you've never played red faction have you? the surroundings are destructable so you can blast through anything!!

nO GAME IS COMPLETLY REALISTIC oops caps lock sos but games like metal gear solid show how real games can be
Tue 17/07/01 at 09:20
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Although, to keep Red Faction in persective...

There was a Tank Game on the Speccy, who's selling point was that the user could destroy any/all the secenery...

same idea, 15 years difference :)
Tue 17/07/01 at 12:24
Regular
How realistic do you want a game for christs sake........

You want realistic....go and buy yourself a grenade launcher and a machine gun and walk through London with it.....now thats realistic! (This is just a joke, dont take me seriously!)

Dav1d

PS. Ever played WORMS?!
Tue 17/07/01 at 16:51
I love playing worms and I think that they should do it in 3D
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:14
Regular
"gsybe you!"
You can't get a completly realistic game - It would take months just to model the effect oof the wind on a tree!
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:14
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I think it shows how far gaming is from the real, beautiful world.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.