GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Artificial intelligence"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/07/01 at 17:44
Regular
Well, in the drought of good topics recently that aren’t console wars (even I am beginning to tire of them now) I thought I’d write about artificial intelligence.

In many developer’s eyes, artificial intelligence is the ultimate creation. Its something that everyone wishes to make, and the code is worth millions. So what is it? Well basically, AI gives the computer the ability to make its own decisions, learn from mistakes, build on itself and more importantly have its own opinions and feelings. AI plays a large part in Sony’s plan for the future, as its main selling point is the Emotion Engine, and its supposed ability to simulate AI.

But ask yourself this: Is AI already upon us? In a way, yes. As I write this, I am witnessing a very simple form of this. Word 2000 has the ability to learn from its mistakes. For example, the first time you type “PSone” into word, it will decapitalise “S”. If you correct it a few times, it no longer does this. Word is learning that you don’t like this, and adapting. OK, let’s make a list of AI features:

1. Learn from mistakes
2. Make decisions
3. Adapt
4. Build on itself
5. Have it’s own feelings and opinions

Right then; scratch 1. What about 2? Well, decision-making routines have been in games for yonks. Let’s look at Tekken. According to its situation, Tekken will choose between high, low, hand, kick, flying, special and combo attacks whilst you are fighting. It assesses the situation then makes a decision and executes it. This is a very basic routine as don’t forget it is running on a PlayStation here, which is essentially a 66mhz. Let’s look at a higher form. In games which has multiple routes such as SSX on the PS2 or Speed Freaks on the PSone, the computer has to decide which route to take based on: Risk according to mistake parameters and advantage gained in relation to power-ups. If the computer decides to go for it, it will. Games that do not have a fixed route such as kart racers have to make very complex path finding mechanisms every second, which is a testament to modern technology. OK, decision making’s current highest level: The First Person Shooter. When we play a FPS we usually stay to a basic plan, such as: Keep moving, shoot people when opportunity arises, kill Sniper quick before he kills you, and stay near the BFG. We are constantly running these thoughts through out head and we make split-second decisions that eventually boil down to a list of commands. Forwards or back, left or right, shoot, jump or change weapon. It’s the same with a FPS AI routine. The computer assesses how many people are near, threat imposed, success probability and other things such as terrain and power-ups. It then generates commands. These routines are very sensitive however and that’s why movement can be erratic.

OK, now we’ve covered decisions, let’s look at adaptation. Adapting in videogames is also not a new thing. The PSone game Speed Freaks supposedly learnt your driving styles and adapted to your driving styles. I never really noticed this but the reviewers said they could. Essentially, this means that if the computer recognises that you aggressively barge people out of the way, it will stay away from you. If it notices you are targeting a particular character, it becomes aggressive itself. The computer analyses your actions then basically recompiles its AI routine to compensate. Therefore, each game will be different. Of course, for this to be any good you need a sophisticated piece of hardware, and this is where the nest generation console comes in. Now, I don’t know about any GameCube games with any noteworthy AI, so let’s take an upcoming PS2 title, which I think is also a PC game as well. Conflict Zone is a real time strategy much like Command and Conquer that is being developed by the Paris based firm MASA (Mathématiques Appliquées). You probably would have heard of them unless you are involved in military warfare but they are experts in AI. Early reports have shown that this game is staggeringly intelligent, and it is really noticeable. Every time you play it’s a completely new experience because the game actually adapts to the situation and changes its game plan to suit. It can predict what you are doing and counteract it. For example, if one of the troops strays into a minefield and gets killed, the unit remembers that and asks you for an alternative destination next time. Another example is you can give a set of instructions to a unit and it then begins to think for itself, carrying out your orders via the best route possible. However, if it’s a new recruit don’t expect it to last long, and more experienced commandos are less likely to attempt a stupid bravado stunt.

As for 4 and 5, well, I think at the moment we can only dream of things. An AI routine that builds on itself effectively learns new information and develops new skills. A computer that can learn is a truly outstanding achievement, as its abilities will know no limits. The ultimate AI though, is AI that thinks, AI that forms opinions, and AI that has its own opinions. If we develop a program like this we can truly say that it is alive, and imagine the fun we could have playing against that.
Sat 04/08/01 at 14:24
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Last one for Biggles, I promise.

Anyway, I'm off now. See ya guys, be back later.
Thu 19/07/01 at 01:39
Regular
Yeah there has been tonnes of AI posts! wrote one not so long ago.
Thu 19/07/01 at 01:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
DeltaJava, you should have kept that and posted it in a few weeks.
Wed 18/07/01 at 23:14
Regular
Are you ready 3 weeks to go Dringo super post entitled:

Here's to the future
Wed 18/07/01 at 23:04
Bah, seeing as this topic is still popular and has won, I've deleted my artificial intelligence essay. I've resigned to the fact that I could've won... but didn't. Oh well, I'll come up with something good soon. Hopefully.
Wed 18/07/01 at 21:25
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I wrote an good post.

Why, what did you think?
Wed 18/07/01 at 21:05
Regular
""
What did you do to win.
Wed 18/07/01 at 20:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Thank you all for your support.
Wed 18/07/01 at 20:58
Regular
Well done TB. We did tell you that you'd win sooner or later :-)
Wed 18/07/01 at 20:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yes. "Was" is the right word now though!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.