GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Manhunt...meh"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Manhunt'.
Wed 12/05/04 at 01:15
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Rented it tonight, played it for a couple of hours and thought "...uh-huh" and put it away.
It would appear to be a sub-standard "stealth-em-up" with the gimmick of gory deaths once every 5 mins or so.

For a stealth game, the camera control is godawful. You need something like the Splinter Cell method of using an analogue stick to rotate the camera without it going into first person.
"Yeah but you use the left", yes but that only turns your bloke and his peripheral vision,and it's near-impossible to see around corners without inching up to them and possibly risking yet another sudden attack requiring button mashing and another search for health.
Objectives? "Open this gate by killing this man. Repeat"
*scratches head*
Graphics are functional at best, with the grainy look of Silent Hill but with some nasty-ass clipping inside buildings more times than I liked.

And it's just a personal thing, but I really really wasn't happy with the White Trash-level racism.
Yes I know it's "just stuff the characters say", but I don't like videogame characters wandering around shouting "White Power" and mumbling to themselves that "my girl's gonna be so hot for me when she hears I killed a half-cast from the ghetto quarter", and my personal 'favourite" was a character talking about "Sh*t-skinned" people.
???
I'm the last person in the world to care about near-the-knuckle violence or ethics in a game, but blatantly racist chatter in a game where the sole aim is to kill people in the most explicit and violent way possible can't be an entirely good thing surely?

But, morals aside, it's just a clunky beat 'em up bolted to OTT death animations with a shoddy camera system, poor combat when you yet-again become exposed.
It seems to me that unless it has GTA in the title, Rockstar seem to pump up decidely average games with a purposefully media-frenzy slant to bump up sales - State of Emergency "Riot! Smash buildings! Kill cops!" and Manhunter "Grisly death! Racist humour! Average Content!".

But then I suppose it's easier to make a game that lynx-stinking teens will think "Cool! Killings and mayhem and swearing!" and purchase by the truckload than come out with something that is more than a rehash of Target Renegade with cartoon violence and nazi-themed "comedy" levels.

Feel free to cry about me being wrong/misunderstanding the game and defend your purchase.
I'm just saying it didn't work for me on any level. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to Gladius/Pandora Tomorrow/Fight Night/Prince of Persia.

Oh, and Deus Ex:Invisible War is incredibly stodgy also. Massive frequent loadtimes, difficult to aim fast enough, an "open ended approach" that seems to mean you can either shoot everybody in the way or crawl through a vent and shoot a bot waiting, and some blocky bland visuals.
Wed 12/05/04 at 18:53
Regular
"\\"
Stridman™ wrote:
> If it has racism in then thats probably one reason why they gave it an
> 18 certificate.

You really don't see why you're retarded?

> I never liked the look of the game anyway, all of the
> screenshots i saw were very blurry and rought if you get what i
> mean.....

Maybe it might add to the atmosphere? Try playing it first.
Wed 12/05/04 at 17:25
Regular
Although I don't agree with your Invisible War comment, I'm relieved to see that somebody has finally agreed with me.

I hate that game.
Wed 12/05/04 at 16:09
Regular
"QPR 1974"
Probably not, after seeing that you are an idiot.
Wed 12/05/04 at 15:55
Regular
": ("
ALASTAIR, have to accepted my friends request?
Wed 12/05/04 at 13:25
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I guess it's one of those game you either love or hate.
------

Definitely, and it doesn't do anything for me. Me and mate were "Hahaha" when you first kill that bloke with the bag on the training level, but found ourselves reloading and reloading on the next level "proper" simply to try and get the uber-nasty kills.
My main gripe is the camera, it's terrible and hinders any attempt at stealth, and so often we found ourselves heading towards pitch-black areas that, strangely, weren't considered dark - triggering another "Oh for f..." attack button frenzy.

And just repeatedly "kill this guy to open the gate and progress to another level with some hunters" grew boring quickly.
The racism could be argued as character, of course they would be because they're nazi thugs. I just felt really unhappy playing a video game where constant shouts of "White Power" came at me mixed with various other insults.

But that wasn't what put me off. The dull objective(s), the unwieldy camera system, the cumbersome attacks...they're why Manhunter doesn't float my boat.
Wed 12/05/04 at 12:12
Regular
I'm enjoying it. You're right about the camera, you do get used to it after a while but why Rockstar refuse to put a decent analog controlled camera in the majority of their game I will never know.

I found the first few levels to be a bit on the dull side, but it does get more involving the further you get into the game. Not sure why it's not dull really, you are more or less doing the same things over and over again with only the occasional variation in the game play where you might have to guide a tramp across the level or drop fridges on white-supremacists. I guess it's the the settings and the variety of the gangs and the things they say that keeps it feeling fresh. Never noticed the blatant racism though, I heard them say "white-power" but I thought that was as far as it went. There have been a few times though when I've stepped back and though "Hmmm isn't that taking it a bit far?" but for the most part the gangs come out with some funny yet disturbing stuff.

I guess it's one of those game you either love or hate.
Wed 12/05/04 at 07:34
Regular
": ("
If it has racism in then thats probably one reason why they gave it an 18 certificate. I never liked the look of the game anyway, all of the screenshots i saw were very blurry and rought if you get what i mean.....
Wed 12/05/04 at 01:15
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Rented it tonight, played it for a couple of hours and thought "...uh-huh" and put it away.
It would appear to be a sub-standard "stealth-em-up" with the gimmick of gory deaths once every 5 mins or so.

For a stealth game, the camera control is godawful. You need something like the Splinter Cell method of using an analogue stick to rotate the camera without it going into first person.
"Yeah but you use the left", yes but that only turns your bloke and his peripheral vision,and it's near-impossible to see around corners without inching up to them and possibly risking yet another sudden attack requiring button mashing and another search for health.
Objectives? "Open this gate by killing this man. Repeat"
*scratches head*
Graphics are functional at best, with the grainy look of Silent Hill but with some nasty-ass clipping inside buildings more times than I liked.

And it's just a personal thing, but I really really wasn't happy with the White Trash-level racism.
Yes I know it's "just stuff the characters say", but I don't like videogame characters wandering around shouting "White Power" and mumbling to themselves that "my girl's gonna be so hot for me when she hears I killed a half-cast from the ghetto quarter", and my personal 'favourite" was a character talking about "Sh*t-skinned" people.
???
I'm the last person in the world to care about near-the-knuckle violence or ethics in a game, but blatantly racist chatter in a game where the sole aim is to kill people in the most explicit and violent way possible can't be an entirely good thing surely?

But, morals aside, it's just a clunky beat 'em up bolted to OTT death animations with a shoddy camera system, poor combat when you yet-again become exposed.
It seems to me that unless it has GTA in the title, Rockstar seem to pump up decidely average games with a purposefully media-frenzy slant to bump up sales - State of Emergency "Riot! Smash buildings! Kill cops!" and Manhunter "Grisly death! Racist humour! Average Content!".

But then I suppose it's easier to make a game that lynx-stinking teens will think "Cool! Killings and mayhem and swearing!" and purchase by the truckload than come out with something that is more than a rehash of Target Renegade with cartoon violence and nazi-themed "comedy" levels.

Feel free to cry about me being wrong/misunderstanding the game and defend your purchase.
I'm just saying it didn't work for me on any level. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to Gladius/Pandora Tomorrow/Fight Night/Prince of Persia.

Oh, and Deus Ex:Invisible War is incredibly stodgy also. Massive frequent loadtimes, difficult to aim fast enough, an "open ended approach" that seems to mean you can either shoot everybody in the way or crawl through a vent and shoot a bot waiting, and some blocky bland visuals.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.