GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pop up window on Windows 98 start up"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/07/01 at 20:06
Regular
I recently got a virus on my pc from an infected email, the address was very similar to my friends. Now every time I start my PC up a window opens with the address C:WINDOWSStart MenuProgramsStartUpKAK.HTA Does anybody know how I can totally delete this from my machine as it is very annoying. I keep removing it from the start menu but it comes back everytime I switch my PC on. Any Ideas?
Wed 18/07/01 at 16:23
Regular
"It's Only Me"
The file that needed deleting was kak.hta (Accoring to the properties tag this was a html application)

What i didn't notice every other time in the past, when i deleted this file was that there was two of them.

One was placed in the Windows Start up folder and the other was hidden in the Windows Start Up Deleted Files folder.

I deleted both of these files & then I had to alter the path in MSCONFIG "Autoexec.bat" tab which was pointing to them, simply to C:Windows\.

All is now fine and I don't seem to be having any problems since these alterations were made.

Hope that answers it for you.
Wed 18/07/01 at 10:17
What file was it???
Mon 16/07/01 at 22:24
Regular
"It's Only Me"
Somehow, I'm not sure how I did it, I've managed to get rid of the pop up window using the MSCONFIG menu system and deleting some files in the Windows file.

Just like to say to everyone who replied to this topic

Thank You Very Much.

Cheers Guys!!!

:-)
Mon 16/07/01 at 21:23
The only other thing you can do is a clean install of windown and all yur programs but I doubt you wanna do that!
Mon 16/07/01 at 21:00
Regular
"It's Only Me"
Sorry I forgot to mention I do have Anti Virus Software.

I've got the Norton version & I keep it updated weekly.

It picked up on the original virus and deleted it but has left this pop up window everytime I start my PC.

There is nothing in this window just a blank page.

Looks like I'm just gonna have to put up with.

Thanks anyway guys.
Mon 16/07/01 at 20:27
Regular
Sorry, I don't know then.

You're best bet would be to get some AntiVirus Software.
Mon 16/07/01 at 19:19
is this kak.hta file a virus???

Can you find and delete that file????

If your stuck you should get some antivirus software, there are plently of ones you can get for trial 30 days would be enough to remove the virus
Mon 16/07/01 at 18:47
Regular
"It's Only Me"
Thanks, Your Honour, but sadly this did not work.
When I restarted my PC the pop-up window was still there & it had added a new line in the MSCONFIG startup menu.
I have noticed under the Autoexec.bat menu there is a path listed there and is as follows :-
@echo off>C: \ Windows \ STARTM~1 \ Programs \ Startup \ kak.hta
rem - By Windows Setup - del C:\WINDOWS \ STARTM~1 \ Programs \ ka...

Does anyone know what this means & can I get rid of it.
I've tried deleting it with the edit button but this does not work.
Can anyone help? Please!
Mon 16/07/01 at 09:47
Regular
Yep!

If you click start, then run, then type in MSCONFIG and press enter, a window pops up.

One of the tabs at the top says 'startup'. If you click this it shows all the programs that start with windows. Find the one you don't want and deselect it. Then press Ok, etc.

Problem solved!
Sun 15/07/01 at 20:06
Regular
"It's Only Me"
I recently got a virus on my pc from an infected email, the address was very similar to my friends. Now every time I start my PC up a window opens with the address C:WINDOWSStart MenuProgramsStartUpKAK.HTA Does anybody know how I can totally delete this from my machine as it is very annoying. I keep removing it from the start menu but it comes back everytime I switch my PC on. Any Ideas?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.