GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"World Class Footballers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/07/01 at 22:07
Regular
This Summer has seen quite a few clubs spend a lot of money on players and it has also seen Zinedine Zidane sign for Real Madrid in a world record deal of 48 million pounds. There are many world class footballers all over the world, including players like Zidane, Figo and Rivaldo, and so I have decided to start this topic as I want to know who people would put as their best 11 footballers in the world.

Below is a team that I feel has got the best players in the world and the reasons why I think they are the best.

Goalkeeper - Fabien Barthez
The Man United and France No. 1 goalkeeper is one of the best in the world and a favourite of many fans. Fabien Barthez is an excellent goal stopper and he has been known to try and take on opposing players with his amazing skills. Well, they are not quite amazing but they are good as he always seems to be able to get round them. I would put him in my world 11 as I have seen him play quite a few times as he plays in the premiership, but there might be a few of you who think that there are better goalkeepers in the world.

Right Back - Thuram
Thuram is another player has been signed this summer for a large amount of money, about 25 million pounds to be exact. He has signed for Juventus from Parma and I think he will be a huge hit at the club. He is probably the best right back in the world, which is why I didn't really have to think much about who I was going to put in this position. He is a great tackler and he has also got some speed, which helps him when he takes on opposing players.

Left Back - Roberto Carlos
Roberto Carlos currently plays in Spain for Real Madrid and he has done for quite a few years now. I would say that he is one of the best left sided players in the world and probably the best left back in the world, which is why I would have him in my world 11.

Centre Back - Jaap Stam
Jaap Stam has been at the heart of the defence for both club and country over the past few years and I rate him highly. Having seen him play a few times, I have decided that I would put him in my world 11 as I think he is not only a stong tackler, but also a good passer of the ball.

Centre Back - Sol Campbell
Sol Campbell is a world class player and he has recently signed for Arsenal after 10 years at Tottenham. As a Tottenham fan, I was very disappointed when I found out that Campbell had decided to join our arch rivals, although I will agree with him about the fact that he feels Arsenal have got a far better chance of silverware next season, than Tottenham. Sol Campbell is younger than the current 2 best centre backs at Arsenal, Martin Keown and Tony Adams, although I reckon all 3 of them are about the same when it comes to their ability at football. If I had to choose between the 3, I would pick Campbell and then Adams. But Arsenal would probably be better off next season if they played all 3 of them and so they changed their formation. I just hope that Arsenal don’t win anything next season because then Campbell would be able to say he made the right choice in joining them. In my opinion, Sol Campbell is one of the best defenders in the world and even though he now plays for Arsenal, I have decided to put him in my world 11.

Right Midfield - Figo
Luis Figo is another layer who I am sure would be a definite in everyones world 11. He is one of the best players in the world and he plays for one of the best teams in the world, if not, the best.. Last season, he moved from Barcelona to rivals Real madrid in a deal worth around 38 million pounds and although the Barcelona fans were not pleased with the deal, the Real Madrid fans were. Figo can play in any midfield position but I would play him on the right, maybe in the centre, depending on other people in the team and where they play.

Left Midfield - Rivaldo
Without a doubt, Rivaldo is the best left sided player in the world and I reckon he will be for many years. Rivaldo is a great player and I am sure he would be a definite in everyones world 11. Rivaldo currently plays for Barcelona and he is not one of the big names o have moved clubs this summer for a lot of money. If he was one of them, he would probably be sold for a new record amount of money as he is in my opinion, the best footballer in the world.

Centre Midfield - Zinedine Zidane
Zinedine Zidane has recently signed for Real Madrid for a world record 48 million pounds. He is 29 years old so to be honest, he probably only has about 2-3 years left where he can play to his best ability, although he is an amazing player so he could be playing for quite a while longer. He has scored many goals for clubs that he has played for, as well as for his country, France. He would be a definite in my world 11.

Centre Midfield - Juan Veron
Juan Veron has recently signed for Man United for a club record of around 28 million pounds. The Argentinian midfielder is said to be one of the best midfielders in the world and I agree with that. He is not known to score that many goals but he is a great midfielder in general and United have signed a world class player. Juan Veron has been capped 36 times by his country, scoring six goals in the process.

Striker - Ronaldo
Ronaldo used to be the best footballer in the world and he won footballer of the year, two years running, but then he had a serious injury and since about 1999, he has not played much football. He plays for Inter Milan and it has been said that he is nearly 100% fit and so he can hopefully get back to playing a lot of football and work his way up to being one of the best footballers in the world. He has scored a lot of goals in his career and he is only about 24. He has also scored a lot of goals for Brazil.

Striker - Michael Owen
Most people will probably not agree with me here but I have always admired Michael Owen, as I think he is a great striker and he will not let a team down when it comes to scoring goals. He is still and young player and so he has got many years left of proffessional fotball. Another good thing about Owen is the fact that he is English. He plays for Liverpool and he always has done and I think he will for at least a few more years because he loves the club. He is worth about 40 million pounds, which I agree with, especially when he is at his best.

I know there are many more great footballers in the world, but this is my opinion of the best 11 in the world, when at their best.

What is your opinion?
Sat 14/07/01 at 22:07
This Summer has seen quite a few clubs spend a lot of money on players and it has also seen Zinedine Zidane sign for Real Madrid in a world record deal of 48 million pounds. There are many world class footballers all over the world, including players like Zidane, Figo and Rivaldo, and so I have decided to start this topic as I want to know who people would put as their best 11 footballers in the world.

Below is a team that I feel has got the best players in the world and the reasons why I think they are the best.

Goalkeeper - Fabien Barthez
The Man United and France No. 1 goalkeeper is one of the best in the world and a favourite of many fans. Fabien Barthez is an excellent goal stopper and he has been known to try and take on opposing players with his amazing skills. Well, they are not quite amazing but they are good as he always seems to be able to get round them. I would put him in my world 11 as I have seen him play quite a few times as he plays in the premiership, but there might be a few of you who think that there are better goalkeepers in the world.

Right Back - Thuram
Thuram is another player has been signed this summer for a large amount of money, about 25 million pounds to be exact. He has signed for Juventus from Parma and I think he will be a huge hit at the club. He is probably the best right back in the world, which is why I didn't really have to think much about who I was going to put in this position. He is a great tackler and he has also got some speed, which helps him when he takes on opposing players.

Left Back - Roberto Carlos
Roberto Carlos currently plays in Spain for Real Madrid and he has done for quite a few years now. I would say that he is one of the best left sided players in the world and probably the best left back in the world, which is why I would have him in my world 11.

Centre Back - Jaap Stam
Jaap Stam has been at the heart of the defence for both club and country over the past few years and I rate him highly. Having seen him play a few times, I have decided that I would put him in my world 11 as I think he is not only a stong tackler, but also a good passer of the ball.

Centre Back - Sol Campbell
Sol Campbell is a world class player and he has recently signed for Arsenal after 10 years at Tottenham. As a Tottenham fan, I was very disappointed when I found out that Campbell had decided to join our arch rivals, although I will agree with him about the fact that he feels Arsenal have got a far better chance of silverware next season, than Tottenham. Sol Campbell is younger than the current 2 best centre backs at Arsenal, Martin Keown and Tony Adams, although I reckon all 3 of them are about the same when it comes to their ability at football. If I had to choose between the 3, I would pick Campbell and then Adams. But Arsenal would probably be better off next season if they played all 3 of them and so they changed their formation. I just hope that Arsenal don’t win anything next season because then Campbell would be able to say he made the right choice in joining them. In my opinion, Sol Campbell is one of the best defenders in the world and even though he now plays for Arsenal, I have decided to put him in my world 11.

Right Midfield - Figo
Luis Figo is another layer who I am sure would be a definite in everyones world 11. He is one of the best players in the world and he plays for one of the best teams in the world, if not, the best.. Last season, he moved from Barcelona to rivals Real madrid in a deal worth around 38 million pounds and although the Barcelona fans were not pleased with the deal, the Real Madrid fans were. Figo can play in any midfield position but I would play him on the right, maybe in the centre, depending on other people in the team and where they play.

Left Midfield - Rivaldo
Without a doubt, Rivaldo is the best left sided player in the world and I reckon he will be for many years. Rivaldo is a great player and I am sure he would be a definite in everyones world 11. Rivaldo currently plays for Barcelona and he is not one of the big names o have moved clubs this summer for a lot of money. If he was one of them, he would probably be sold for a new record amount of money as he is in my opinion, the best footballer in the world.

Centre Midfield - Zinedine Zidane
Zinedine Zidane has recently signed for Real Madrid for a world record 48 million pounds. He is 29 years old so to be honest, he probably only has about 2-3 years left where he can play to his best ability, although he is an amazing player so he could be playing for quite a while longer. He has scored many goals for clubs that he has played for, as well as for his country, France. He would be a definite in my world 11.

Centre Midfield - Juan Veron
Juan Veron has recently signed for Man United for a club record of around 28 million pounds. The Argentinian midfielder is said to be one of the best midfielders in the world and I agree with that. He is not known to score that many goals but he is a great midfielder in general and United have signed a world class player. Juan Veron has been capped 36 times by his country, scoring six goals in the process.

Striker - Ronaldo
Ronaldo used to be the best footballer in the world and he won footballer of the year, two years running, but then he had a serious injury and since about 1999, he has not played much football. He plays for Inter Milan and it has been said that he is nearly 100% fit and so he can hopefully get back to playing a lot of football and work his way up to being one of the best footballers in the world. He has scored a lot of goals in his career and he is only about 24. He has also scored a lot of goals for Brazil.

Striker - Michael Owen
Most people will probably not agree with me here but I have always admired Michael Owen, as I think he is a great striker and he will not let a team down when it comes to scoring goals. He is still and young player and so he has got many years left of proffessional fotball. Another good thing about Owen is the fact that he is English. He plays for Liverpool and he always has done and I think he will for at least a few more years because he loves the club. He is worth about 40 million pounds, which I agree with, especially when he is at his best.

I know there are many more great footballers in the world, but this is my opinion of the best 11 in the world, when at their best.

What is your opinion?
Sat 14/07/01 at 23:47
My original team was pretty similar to yours, so i've changed it around a bit to be a bit different.

GK - Gianluigi Buffon
LB - Roberto Carlos
RB - Lilian Thuram
CB - Jaap Stam
CB - Fabio Cannavaro? (i struggled to think of a 2nd CB)
LM - Ryan Giggs
RM - Luis Figo
CM - Zinedine Zidane
CM - Patrick Vieira
ST - Andrei Shevchenko
ST - Rivaldo
Sun 15/07/01 at 00:16
Regular
here is mine.

GK: Barthez
RB: Thuram
LB: Maldini
CB: Nesta
CB: Cannavaro
RW: Beckham
LW: Giggs
CM: Veron
CM: Zidane
FW: Shevchenko
FW: Ronaldo
Sun 15/07/01 at 00:25
Regular
Can i have a few subs as well?

i'll think i'll have 5.

sub 1: Buffon
sub 2: Stam
sub 3: figo
sub 4: owen
sub 5: Raul.
Sun 15/07/01 at 11:28
Ok, now you'll laugh at this team, but I usually think it's best if the players can understand what they're being told by their team mates, hence, I'll give you 11 of the best English players whom I feel are world class.

"Avant sur la line! Vite! Mon dieu..." "You wah mate?"

See?

By the way, I will not play a 4-4-2, I'll confuse things and use a 3-4-1-2, just to be awkward.

Goal keeper:

There are many fantastic keepers in England, but then most of them are foreign, so I'll have to select a keeper based on his form at one of the most improved clubs in the country, and in fact the world - Paul Robinson would be my choice. He kept his cool for Leeds when they were several players down through injury and he proved that he's one of the best young keepers in the world, and will almost certainly become an England regular. Move over Nigel, Mr Robinson is the man.

Right centre back:

As we have three defenders here, I'm going to have to select a player that many of you may or may not have heard of, he's young, incredibly fast and is a great buy on Championship Manager... Dean Keates is a super star. In real life he's one of the freshest young talents in the business (yep, football is now a business) and I can for see him being an England player within the next few years. Plays for Walsall, I think, I'd put him in this England 11.

Centre Centre back:

There're many superb central defenders in England, many as strong as an ox (probably a very small ox), and some who have superb precision when tackling (Jaap Stam), great shooting skills and a goal scoring ability (i.e. Matt Elliot) and some who can combine a vast range of skills and attributes making them the obvious choice. I'll have to pick Sol Campbell as I agree with Bandy - he's one of the best in the world, he knows it - hence £20million in four years, and there isn't a striker alive that doesn't fear him when playing. Top defender, hope he settles in for Arsenal well.

Left Centre back:

The well known fact that there are less left handed people compared to right handed people is also true when it comes to football, in terms of which side you are - right footed or left, or both, but I'm again going to have to select an Arsenal player, someone who performed the most amazing sliding challenge I have ever witnessed in my life, and that player is Ashley Cole. He'll be a regular England full team international and he's already shown he can score, run and make sublime tackles. Fresh talent from Arsenal, there isn't a better English left back.

Right midfield:

I could tell you in two words: David Beckham. But I'll explain why as well. Despite having a limited vocabulary he's one of our finest sports people in the world - an astounding set piece taker, Beckham is also one of the best play makers in the country, he's a superb asset for our national squad and he'll make a great captain, as he has shown so far. With the new signings at Old Trafford, I can only see his game being improved with Veron and Van Nistlerooy joining the Champions for the 2001/2002 season. No one can take better free kicks - he's consistent, accurate and you wouldn't want to be marking him!

Centre midfield:

When it comes down to English central midfielders it takes a while to think of who would actually play there, who have we got? In my honest view I would say Steven Gerrard should play in this position, if he doesn't already, as he's one of the country's best young stars with tremendous ability, strength and speed - at Liverpool he has one of the best clubs to play and develop at, a superb youth academy and a squad of naturally gifted stars. Michael Owen and Gerrard in the same team? Unstoppable...

Centre midfield:

Although he's more of an attacking player, I would include Paul Scholes in every single world 11, so hew should be in the England 11 for sure. I believe Scholes is the best all round England player, he's got incredible shooting skills, determination, link up play and he can actually think. You rarely see him talking to the press at the end of the game, he keeps a low profile, but Scholes is one of our best, and I mean that. So what if he's ginger! Brilliant player, he'd fit in well with this team.

Left midfield:

Yikes, who's a left sided English midfielder? Other than Chris Powell! Ok, you won't like me for this, I don't really care though - I'd put Darren Huckerby in this position, I don't really care what he thinks about it - I know he'd make an excellent left midfielder. He's got blistering pace, superbly slick footwork and can cross the bakk well. He's been moved around a lot, was incredible at Coventry, but now his status has dropped. Bring him back to the Premiership - Huckerby had a unique flare and style of play.

Attacking midfielder - central:

I'm playing a crazy formation here anyway, so I may as well just put someone like...Nick Barmby! Wah! Yep, that's right I'd play Nick Barmby there every time, simply because he's a superb footballer. He has experience, a proven goal scoring record and would support the two strikers admirably, so no one else deserves this spot more than him.

Striker:

I'm tempted to put Michael Owen in this position because of his astonishing speed, finishing and age - he's young, bright and always delivers for his Merseyside club. Yes Michael Owen is every bit as good as they said he was back in 1998 - remember that goal against Argentina in the Quarter final? No? Well you should because it was stunning. Owen practically single handedly won Liverpool the FA Cup scoring 2 late goals, outpacing the entire Arsenal defence, the awake ones anyway. Owen is still young and already has a wealth of experience behind him. Top player.

Striker:

Perhaps not an obvious choice, but being a Blackburn devotee I would put the brilliant Matt Jansen in the other striker position, ahead of players like Fowler, Heskey, Cole and Alan Smith. Why? Because it's my team and my decision! No really, Matt Jansen vowed to play in the Premiership this forthcoming season, and he's made it possible with a promotion with Blackburn. He can score from every angle, again is very fast indeed, and has one of the best volleys in the game.

There you go! That's my World 11 with English players only - cheers.

Dan
Sun 15/07/01 at 11:32
"bakk" = "ball"

And handedly = handidly.

Sorry
Sun 15/07/01 at 11:33
Good teams everyone, but I still prefer my own!
Sun 15/07/01 at 11:36
Yep, your team was good, but mine was quite hard to think of (English only!). They should have a match, except we'd need a new Campbell.

I'd probably play Ferdinand if Dean Keates didn't show up.
Sun 15/07/01 at 13:43
Regular
"Great Scott's"
My top team would be:

GK - Barthez
LB - Maldini
RB - Cafu
CB - Cannavaro
CB - Nesta
LM - Rivaldo
RM - Figo
CM - Davids
CM - Zidane
FW - Shevchenko
FW - Inzaghi

Subs:

GK - Toldo
DF - Stam
MF - Totti
FW - Raul
Sun 15/07/01 at 18:12
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
CJJ007 wrote:
> My top team would be:

GK - Barthez
LB - Maldini
RB - Cafu
CB
> - Cannavaro
CB - Nesta
LM - Rivaldo
RM - Figo
CM - Davids
CM -
> Zidane
FW - Shevchenko
FW - Inzaghi

Subs:

GK - Toldo
DF -
> Stam
MF - Totti
FW - Raul

Not bad, Not bad at all. U sure Barthez is betta than toldo?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.