GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help! Broken PCs...(I'm good at this..)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/07/01 at 22:02
Regular
Ok, as I said in WLT, my dad's taking this laptop to Norwich tomorrow, and I need to fix at least one PC so I can use the internet (without resorting to a 28.8k on a k6 200 box).

I have 2 broken PCs humming next to me at the moment:

PC 1 - No response from the graphics card (tried two, both AGP). The PCI buses are also broken, I'll probably try and get the mobo replaced unless anyone knows of any solutions.
Specs - (removed to bare minimum)
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1100mhz
1x 256mb Kingston SDRAM
Samsung cd-rw/dvd combo
Chaintech CT-7AJA Motherboard
64mb Pine Excalibur GeForce2 MX (AGP)

PC 2 - Can't really ask for help, I know I just need to buy a new CD drive first thing tomorrow. Reasonably cheap is possible...suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sun 15/07/01 at 12:48
Take out the battery for a while that may work and reset the Bios.
Sun 15/07/01 at 03:16
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Just use one out of another box.
Sat 14/07/01 at 22:26
Regular
"How Handy."
Reaper,

PC1 may have a broken motherboard, but before you do go out and buy a new board, try resetting the BIOS, something may be set up wrong and causing your problems. There's usually a jumper switch on the board that you connect and leave for 30 seconds. It's worth a try, if it's not that then the boards gone boom.

PC2, CD-Roms are fair cheap nowadays. Most highstreet shops will stock older models that are not quite 52x for £20. I bought my 50x one a while back for about that. If you can't find anywhere else, or just can't be bothered leaving the house, SR have a basic one for £32.99.
Sat 14/07/01 at 22:02
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Ok, as I said in WLT, my dad's taking this laptop to Norwich tomorrow, and I need to fix at least one PC so I can use the internet (without resorting to a 28.8k on a k6 200 box).

I have 2 broken PCs humming next to me at the moment:

PC 1 - No response from the graphics card (tried two, both AGP). The PCI buses are also broken, I'll probably try and get the mobo replaced unless anyone knows of any solutions.
Specs - (removed to bare minimum)
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1100mhz
1x 256mb Kingston SDRAM
Samsung cd-rw/dvd combo
Chaintech CT-7AJA Motherboard
64mb Pine Excalibur GeForce2 MX (AGP)

PC 2 - Can't really ask for help, I know I just need to buy a new CD drive first thing tomorrow. Reasonably cheap is possible...suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.