GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BAN FOXHUNTING? IS IT A SPORT?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/07/01 at 16:19
Regular
When I wrote the topic title - "is it a sport" I was thinking a great many things, yes it did hurt, no I'm ok now thanks, but it got me thinking - who on earth can say that it's a sport? Foxhunting should be banned, it almost was but the Government are weak and feeble when it comes to policies like this - a tradition, one that should not have even started, but now should be left in the past - the only place it can belong.

It's not so much the fact that the foxes need to be controlled; it's the way in which they're hunted. It's disgusting, on of the most inhumane acts of all - it's murder, it's a crime, it should be banned and if anyone dares say it's a sport then they should be taught a lesson. Ok, so you have to analyse why Fox Hunting happens, what the alternatives are, the costs to society, why it most definitely isn't a sport, and what should be done about it. Well I will anyway.

So, why does it happen? Farmers mostly, and of course large-eared members of the pompous Royal Family, partake in this 'activity', riding their horses, dressing up in that red uniform with horrid hats, with hound dogs that run with them to sniff out the foxes so the hunters can kill them. The fact that they wear red is just fitting - reflects the blood and destruction of life. They do this because the foxes on rare occasions attack sheep and livestock, but then that's the farmer's own fault - if the fox can't get in to attack and eat the sheep or chickens, then they won't, thus no need for fox hunting, which shouldn't be the result of the loss of sheep anyway.

Let's put this in another sense. Fox's aren't human, but imagine if it were something else - something like "Homeless/Shoplifter hunting - is this a sport?" ok, that may sound ridiculous, but yeah, they're a pain, they steal things, but you wouldn't have organised hunts to try and get rid of them would you? Of course not, instead we try to help these people, well some of us do, food at Christmas, shelters, counselling for shoplifters, etc. You wouldn't hunt the homeless or the needy - you'd help instead. So why kill these foxes? It is murder, it is wrong and it rubbishes all the laws of animal rights.

So, foxes are a pain to farmers, and I am sure if you are a family living on a farm, you may think that fox hunting is the best course of action, you have been brought up to believe this way, it's a tradition that you are used to, it helps you and your family and so around 25% of the population are in favour of fox hunting, but there you go - 3/4 people are against it. What do we do? It isn't a problem for me, but it's an issue that concerns all of us - just like climate changing as a result of global warming, like the elections, like any public issue of importance, it affects the whole population. Would you vote on an outright ban? If a ban were to be implemented, would it stay enforced? Hunts would still take place, but fines would be charged.

So - bigger fences and anti fox spray the answer? Hmmm, maybe farmers should keep control of their animals more carefully, well they definitely should. Cows wandering all over the place...

What are the costs to society? It harms more than the foxes you know...It brings upset, it brings annoyance, protests and conflict among us - driving people to bitter hatred of one another - it destroys relationships, friendships and respect is lost. Perhaps the foxes could be killed, but in a less evil act. Don't shoot them, they're wonderful creatures, but then I would say that wouldn't I.

Come on Tony - you're there for another 4 years - this time get it sorted out.

I think people against fox hunting hate the hunters more than the hunters hate the actual foxes, to be perfectly honest.

It can't be a very effective solution if the fox hunting keeps on going can it? Don't make the foxes extinct: solve the problem instead. Hunters like hunting, they enjoy it - you can tell - that awful horn sound, synonymous with fox hunting, it sends shivers down my spine and quite frankly that sound should be outlawed!

So is it a sport? Pah! In the sense of, "is it a sport like football or rugby?" well no of course not - I don't know the ins and outs of hunting - maybe they have training sessions, maybe there're replica shirts and hats of real 'packs' of hunting 'teams'.

It's not a blood sport - hunting and sport are two words that cannot go together. It's a crime.
Ban it. Ban it now.

Thanks - your thoughts?
Mon 16/07/01 at 18:12
(Obviously I am Sulzeer) That made no sense at all.
Mon 16/07/01 at 18:11
They don't eat foxes. It's not the fact that they get enjoyment - it's the WAY IN WHICH they get it. It's disgusting, immoral and inhumane. I 100% agree with Sulzeer, ban it - it's not fair, it should be a criminal offence.
Mon 16/07/01 at 17:01
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
I know I'm going to get no support for this, but hey... I think there is no reason to ban it at all. Why? The foxes are hunted for enjoyment - I (like almost the entire western world) eat many may times more meat than I actually need to. Why? I like the taste - in other words, for enjoyment. Where exactly is the difference? More cows/pigs/chickens etc are killed to fill my desire for meat so why not let a couple of hundered men get an afternoons enjoyment killing a fox? I'd call myself a hypocrite if I said otherwise as I could save many cows lives over my life time if I just ate the little meat my body needs for the protein and various nutrients it gives me rather than the larger "I like the taste" portions we're all guilty of in the Western world.

Ahhhh, you say, but it is unnatural. What - a fox living in the wild all its life, but eventualy sadly killed by some dogs? That's nature kids. Far more "natural" than the chickens you are eating for your dinner that have been pumped full of hormones to make them bigger and locked in a cage a couple of inches wide all its life. (Repeat that last sentence for whatever animal you choose to be eating next). Brutal? Hmmmm... dogs are trained to snap the necks of the fox so it is over very quickly. Fox probably never realizes it has been caught.

Then, most people don't actually think of the animals that lived a rubbish life and then were killed to fulfil their whims and desires. The bread coated, round portion of meat you see before you is rather removed from a living breathing animal. Out of sight, out of mind. The cute furry fox is far more appealing - espically when put up against those arrogant pomped up toffs.

I'm not saying don't eat meat (and while I'm at it, I've never been on a fox hunt) - goodness, I love meat. However, we only actually need a mear fraction of what we actually eat. I think everyone here knows that eating less meat and more beans/verggies/cereals etc would be better for them. So why do you eat that extra meat? To satisfy your whims and tastes - because you like it - exactly the same reason hunters go fox hunting.

Or there's also the argument that no one from the town can truely understand a country activity like fox hunting.
Sun 15/07/01 at 17:21
The question is WHY do they go fox hunting?

It isn't because they need to control the "pests" it's because these people are sick minded, malicious and enjoy murdering a helpless animal, with a particularly impressive bush...y tail.
Sun 15/07/01 at 15:48
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
CJ007 wrote:
> Fox Hunting is needed to reduce chickens and sheep being taken by
> foxes, but in my opinion it should be banned with the use of dogs.
> May be it could be done by not letting Dogs go on the hunt and foxes
> could be shot instead.

The amount of Foxes killed by fox hunting makes no difference to the effects of the Fox population on the coutry side...

The vast majority of foxes are killed by traps and shooting.
Sun 15/07/01 at 14:57
Lol
Sun 15/07/01 at 14:15
Two nights ago some foxes ripped one of our neighbours cats apart- you should have seen it- there was only half the cat left!
Ban foxhunting- i hate cats.
Sun 15/07/01 at 14:07
Regular
"Great Scott's"
Fox Hunting is needed to reduce chickens and sheep being taken by foxes, but in my opinion it should be banned with the use of dogs. May be it could be done by not letting Dogs go on the hunt and foxes could be shot instead.
Sun 15/07/01 at 10:57
Foxhunting is sick and depraved ban it and stop this menace to society!
Sun 15/07/01 at 10:44
Yeah ban it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.