GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who loves DVD"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/07/01 at 07:56
Regular
Hi! im 15 and own a sony dvps336 dvd player and i just want to say how great the sound/picture is on all dvds, also all the music cds play a treat on it! and with the prices so cheap on this site i can buy a dvd every week.
Thanks for reading and reply
Mon 16/07/01 at 19:01
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
True you can't play games on a DVD player but, given the vast majority of PS2 games, I don't think that can be classed as a bad opint.

I don't know about the older Toshiba players but the ones from around the SD100 on are superb. If you must compare players by watching a film on them one of the best things I can think of to watch is a dark (but not too dark) scene with thin smoke in it. If it doesn't look grainy you've got a good player. If it does you've got a PS2 (or equivalent).

The PS2 quality is far short of most £300 players but there are players for around £100 that are a better buy. Anyone know if the PS2 uses hardware or software decoding?

If Sony wanted a cheap DVD option why not include a seperate disc to play DVDs? Load it up before a film and enjoy quality software decoded images. A bit of a pain I admit but the images produced could potentially be so much better.
Mon 16/07/01 at 10:44
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
You cant play games on a DVD player.

That is why I prefer the PS2 for movies
Mon 16/07/01 at 10:36
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I got me a Modified Toshiba 2109B and a PS2 and to be perfectly honest, I really can't see *that* much of a difference.

./Steve
Sun 15/07/01 at 18:29
Regular
True the PS2 DVD player isn't as good as a £300 player, but it plays DVDs, and it is incorporated into the console, so why bother complaining.
Sun 15/07/01 at 15:27
True! the ps2 is not good 4 dvd play back.if you want to know the power of dvd buy a dvd player!
Sat 14/07/01 at 19:15
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
FACT: the PS2 DVD playback is not very good.

This isn't an unjustifiable anti-PS2 comment. Neither is it a statement based on actually watching a film on one (which is not a particularly good way of compaing plaback quality). It's based on technical decoding information which puts the PS2 some way down the ladder.

Every DVD player is given the same source to decode (the DVD film itself). Where they go from there and how well they decode it is what seperates the good (Toshiba - at least for entry level players) from the bad (PS2 and certain budget brands).

Is there anyone out there who has a decent DVD player and a PS2 who would like to offer their opinion?
Sat 14/07/01 at 17:38
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
While I disagree with almost everyone on the PS2 DVD playing skills - yes DVD is good (unless you are my Bank Manager). But I'm too scared bu the lovey dovey nature of this thread to elaborate :)
Sat 14/07/01 at 14:47
Regular
"Back For Good"
DVD is class, The PS2 plays em nicely and can now play imports,YES i can get the beavis and Butthead series DVD's and loads others.

PURE BLISS
Sat 14/07/01 at 12:58
Regular
DVD is good, and the PS2 makes sure it is good, for a while at least, very pleased.
Sat 14/07/01 at 11:17
dvd is good

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.