GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Damnit, Games."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/05/04 at 11:49
Regular
"~ Marco"
What's the deal with video games?

We all admittedly sit around playing video games for hours on end, to achieve what? Why do we play video games? For fun? Isn't there anything we can do that would help our lives in any way and that is fun? When you sit down to play your XBOX/PS2/GAMECUBE or whatever just think, what are you gaining apart from a few pounds and a numb backside? Like TV for example, we watch TV all the time it stops us from having a social life, it destroys us, and the irony is that we watch other people live their lives instead of doing it ourselves.

Also, what's the future of video games?

Our PC's get better and better being able to play the most advanced games with the best graphics and they get better all the time. So what happens when they look so real you could swaer it was TV. But the game world is different, when you shoot someone in their head and their head pops off you don't think "Damn, what have I done, their family will be devasted.. Im gonna get arrested..", we think "Haha, f00" When our grandchildren grow up they are gonna be used to beating the hell outta people on video games and not having to live with the consequences, we all say that video games wont change anything because we know it's fake, but we all know it would be fun to steal a car and go on a mad rampage down the street killing everything you see, or what little kid doesn't jump about the room kicking things after the've watched an episode of the Power Rangers?

But there is nothing we can do, with the thousands of millions of companies running things on our televisions and making games for us to play, there really isn't a good enough reason to not play the games and watch the TV. Everywhere you look you see the characters of the latest Reality TV show and the Contestants of the latest Big brother series.

In 10 or 20 years time see what you and your friends have accomplished, not much I expect be the world has become a race of TV zombies.

But if you are gonna waste your life watching TV, you might as well do it right with a 42" Plasma ;-)
Thu 20/05/04 at 21:56
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Good answer.
Thu 20/05/04 at 10:43
Regular
"~ Marco"
Meh.
Wed 19/05/04 at 15:51
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
mdpeaco1 wrote:
> but the world is getting slowly
> desensitized to horrible things, a hundred years ago you would get a
> lot more sadness if a person was stabbed in a town than if someone
> was killed today.

Rubbish. All you need to see is the backlash in the wake of the Nick Berg execution to see what a load of crap that statement is. There is no such thing as "the good old days", and in reality a hundred years ago there would have been more pain, suffering, child abuse, murder and injustice than there is today.

It's only because there is a far more advanced communications stucture in place now, that we hear about it.

[edit] And pretendie shootie at triangles on a flat screen cannot possibly desensitize you.
Wed 19/05/04 at 15:48
Regular
"A man with a stick"
mdpeaco1 wrote:
> but the world is getting slowly
> desensitized to horrible things,

Just be thankful we where sensitised in the first place. Our society is by far more civilized than it ever been, don't forget that when the Romans where around, their idea of entertainment was to get people to kill each other in coliseums, or even feed Christians to lions.

> a hundred years ago you would get a
> lot more sadness if a person was stabbed in a town than if someone
> was killed today.

Where you around a century a go? Otherwise that's a fairly hefty assumption. But I think the problem today is that murder and death are reported on so much that it's hard to really care about everything bad that happens. A century ago they only had newspapers to report such acts, now we have the Internet, cable TV and news reports every hour. There's so much bad news fed to use that trying to keep up becomes a chore.
Wed 19/05/04 at 14:55
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I think that's a terrible generalisation. To reverse your argument, there were public executions in the Middle Ages which people flocked to, and now this would be considered revolting!

People are no more sensitive to real life bloody murder or less so, it's simply the way we hear of things and how often we do. I'm not saying there aren't different people who are desensitised, I'm saying if most people saw a stabbing in front of them, they certainly woul give a f**k!
Wed 19/05/04 at 14:45
Regular
"~ Marco"
Im not against games or anything, I have myself 3 PC's a Gamecube, XBOX and a PS1 and Im not doubting that games let you become something you will never be, but the world is getting slowly desensitized to horrible things, a hundred years ago you would get a lot more sadness if a person was stabbed in a town than if someone was killed today.
Wed 19/05/04 at 13:21
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Found myself replacing my television watching time with my gaming time now. The only shows i bother to watch are Takeshi's Castle and My Wife and Kids. Most of tv nowdays has either an annoying gay muppet running around being a twit or some reality tv nonsense.

Least with gaming i don't lose IQ points while i'm enjoying them.
Wed 19/05/04 at 13:19
Regular
"A man with a stick"
mdpeaco1 wrote:
> Why do we play video games?

For fun? Of course, that's what entertainment is for, but for game I think it goes much deeper. When I put on a game of Call of Duty or Total War I never sit back and think to myself this is a waste because it doesn't change any thing in a my life, I'm thankful that a piece of media can actually give me the ability to experience what it's like to be something or someone I will never become yet at one stage in my life wanted to achieve.

Books, TV and Film only go so far as to telling you stories, games let you live them, you are no longer confined to just sitting back and reading about heroic exploits of brave people, with games you are that brave heroic person and you can experience the adventures that come with it. Games can fulfil your childhood fantasies, they can give you insight into important historical events and they can even improve your effectiveness in the real world, with greater hand to eye co-ordination.

Of course I play games for fun, otherwise what would be the point. Who cares how realistic games begin to look or give you a numb ass from sitting down too long, if they give you experiences you’ll never, ever have then what ever problems gaming has in general is easily forgiven.

> "Damn, what have I done, their family will be devasted.. Im gonna get
> arrested..", we think "Haha, f00" When our grandchildren grow up they
> are gonna be used to beating the hell outta people on video games and
Ø not having to live with the consequence

With proper teaching from the parents, I don’t see why this would be a problem. My parents did a good job with this, I play a lot of violent games, and I can tell what is right from what is wrong, well I haven’t gone out and killed/stolen/gone on a mass murdering rampage because that’s what I saw in a game, so I guess what my parent taught me has paid off. If you’re looking for blame, look to the media. A hateful scare mongering beast that uses real images of death, rape and war, it shows real detail of real violence and surely if any form of the media is going to influence anyone, then it’s going to be the one that thrives of violence the most.
Wed 19/05/04 at 12:09
Regular
"gsybe you!"
1) I balance my social life and my games nicely. I never play games when I could be doing summat else with my friends.
2) I don't watch TV. Simple. Well, most of it. I see my game playing as most peoples TV watching, just I do less of it...
Wed 19/05/04 at 12:07
Regular
Hmmmmmmmm

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.