GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows and the fall of the xbox"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/07/01 at 18:21
Regular
with windows in it's current form (ME) it would be one of the most stupid things ever if it was just slapped onto Xbox. Microsoft, in all their glory, decided that windows ME was too good for the backup feature and several other things. If this is put straight onto Xbox it will ruin the console. There is no way that reinstalling windows on a console is going to be an acceptable solution to all problems as it is with a PC.

The Xbox needs to have it's own os, preferably with an individual GUI (Graphical User interface - pronounced gooey) and definately would benefit from a total lack of windows and microsofts current programs. An example of this would be that if, no... when broadband is available (widely) in this country and Xbox is able to use it that programs like Internet Explorer don't get a look in. How about making a browser called "XNET" with a built in download manager (a decent one) and some good chat functions. In all honesty it would be a crying shame if the Xbox was cursed with windows. This may just push people into buying a game cube instead, that would be a real shame.

The one good thing about having a version of windows on the Xbox is that it will mean games made for the Xbox will be easy to port to the PC and vice versa. This means that there will be more games for the Xbox and PC due to the wider market, and therefore greater profits available by publishing on both platforms.

As a final word i will say that in raw power the Xbox definately has the better of game cube, however, windows may cause game cube to be more of a sucess than Microsoft are Xpecting (he he he).
Fri 13/07/01 at 20:20
As far as I know Microsoft are not planning to put Windows on the Xbox, Im sure the basic operating system will be on a rom chip or on the hard drive.

The Xbox does have a Dashboard interface(not windows) which is similar to the interface you see on a PS2 when you turn it on without a game disc in the drive.

For more information on this Dashboard, see Microsofts officail website or my topic entitled

"Thinking positively about the Xbox" which is in the Future of Gaming (Prime) Forum...it may be a page back by now.
Fri 13/07/01 at 18:21
Regular
"Don't mess"
with windows in it's current form (ME) it would be one of the most stupid things ever if it was just slapped onto Xbox. Microsoft, in all their glory, decided that windows ME was too good for the backup feature and several other things. If this is put straight onto Xbox it will ruin the console. There is no way that reinstalling windows on a console is going to be an acceptable solution to all problems as it is with a PC.

The Xbox needs to have it's own os, preferably with an individual GUI (Graphical User interface - pronounced gooey) and definately would benefit from a total lack of windows and microsofts current programs. An example of this would be that if, no... when broadband is available (widely) in this country and Xbox is able to use it that programs like Internet Explorer don't get a look in. How about making a browser called "XNET" with a built in download manager (a decent one) and some good chat functions. In all honesty it would be a crying shame if the Xbox was cursed with windows. This may just push people into buying a game cube instead, that would be a real shame.

The one good thing about having a version of windows on the Xbox is that it will mean games made for the Xbox will be easy to port to the PC and vice versa. This means that there will be more games for the Xbox and PC due to the wider market, and therefore greater profits available by publishing on both platforms.

As a final word i will say that in raw power the Xbox definately has the better of game cube, however, windows may cause game cube to be more of a sucess than Microsoft are Xpecting (he he he).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.