GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Region X maybe not so good"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/07/01 at 14:26
Regular
I have just been informed of something called 'Region coding enhancment' (RCE) This is a system that companies have been encoding on to Region 1 dscs to prevent them being played on 'Region Free' DVD players. I am aware, however, that with the 'Region X' you have to choose your region, so I don't know whether this would be picked up as 'Region Free or simply 'Region 1', because if so then there's no problem, but does anyone know? I also know that multi region DVD players are fine,it's just region free players that are affected so would Region X fall in to the multi region catagory, who knows?
Fri 13/07/01 at 14:26
I have just been informed of something called 'Region coding enhancment' (RCE) This is a system that companies have been encoding on to Region 1 dscs to prevent them being played on 'Region Free' DVD players. I am aware, however, that with the 'Region X' you have to choose your region, so I don't know whether this would be picked up as 'Region Free or simply 'Region 1', because if so then there's no problem, but does anyone know? I also know that multi region DVD players are fine,it's just region free players that are affected so would Region X fall in to the multi region catagory, who knows?
Fri 13/07/01 at 14:37
It should be all right, i think one of my music dvds is region free (could be red hot chili peppers) so i'll try playing that through the region x. But if its something they're doing from now on, then i spose we'll have to wait and see...
Fri 13/07/01 at 14:52
"High polygon count"
A friend told me that RCE is dependent on the player.

The software on the DVD asks the player what region it is. If a player responds 'region free' (i.e. no region is set) the disc will not play. However, if the player is set to the correct specific region, the disc will play.

It all depends on exactly how Region X works, but as all the talk on the web site etc. implies that it actually sets the required region, then it should be okay.

But don't quote me on any of that!
Fri 13/07/01 at 15:35
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
RCE has proved a bit of a damp squib. It has only worked on a very small percentage of players and as soon as it was announced all new modifications were able to get a round it i.e. if the Region X people finished development after RCEs announcement (whihc would seem likely) then they should be able to get around it.

Most DVDs don't use RCE anyway as the vast majority of DVD distributors aren't bothered by importing anyway.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.