GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm going to work for Rare!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/07/01 at 13:57
Regular
am·bi·tion (am-bi-shun)

"An eager or strong desire to achieve something..."

I love the word 'ambition'... it has such meaning and power. It flows out of our mouths so naturally.

I love to see young children with such great ambition. They have no sense of setbacks or flaws. They see the goal and go. They know where they want to get, what they need to get there and they get it and go!

Many of you, like others of you I know, will want to work with videogames. And I say, "Go for it!"

You see these people in dead end jobs everyday, they don't want to be there, and their employers don't really want them there. You don't want to end up like that. Do you?

If you have a passion or dream you want to follow of fulfil don't let it slip away. So many people I know have had dreams of careers; not necessarily big-time careers but just ones that would make them happy. They have incurred a tiny setback and they've run away scared that it wouldn't be what they thought it would be, or they’ve been stricken with the fear that they’ll fail.

This isn't just about videogames... it's about you! You know what you enjoy... and you must know what kind of job you want to do!

Many people say: "I have no idea...!" When asked about career aspirations but in your hearts of hearts you know what you want to do.

You don’t have to be good at everything to makes games. There are courses everywhere that’ll teach you ‘C’ and ‘C++’ Programming. You can go to art classes.

Whilst I was browsing in W H Smith today, I came across the 100th edition of EDGE. For those of you that don’t know, EDGE is a major videogames publication sold all over the world. On the front was a picture of Mario and Luigi, drawn by none other than the mother of Mario himself, Shigeru Miyamoto!

But as famous and treasured a man by some as he is, his future wasn’t handed to him on a plate. ‘Shigsy’ wasn’t born into a super-rich family who paid waves of money to people to teach him to have an imagination. His parents did pay people to teach him to be innovative! All that stuff is from his heart.

Have you ever noticed how you do a job that you want to do much better than you do the jobs you don’t want to? Setting up your PS2 to the wide screen TV is a job, but you’re more likely to do that than help mum or dad with the washing up on Christmas day!

My point is the fact that you’re much more likely to do well at something you want to do. Your job isn’t everything in life, but if you set your career path to the goal you want to reach your more likely to do well enough to reach it, because it will include doing jobs that you like.

You know what you want to do in the future… find out what it is you need for your ‘journey’ and go for it… As I said, ‘Shigsy’ had to learn, so did the top developers at Rareware. You think Yugi Naka is any different? Hell no!

Don’t lose your ambition… chase it! Fulfil your dream… you’ll thank yourself for it!

And just to add, I’m not going to work for Rare as of now… it is my goal… (Well, one of them… lol) But I’m not going to make it by wanting to or thinking I can… I’m going to learn the programming needed and go on a ‘ Very, Very Basic Drawing and Design For People As Thick As Game’ course and go out and do it!

Chase your ambition! – It’s got one hell of a head start… you don’t have any time to waste! Go!

Game
Fri 13/07/01 at 13:57
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
am·bi·tion (am-bi-shun)

"An eager or strong desire to achieve something..."

I love the word 'ambition'... it has such meaning and power. It flows out of our mouths so naturally.

I love to see young children with such great ambition. They have no sense of setbacks or flaws. They see the goal and go. They know where they want to get, what they need to get there and they get it and go!

Many of you, like others of you I know, will want to work with videogames. And I say, "Go for it!"

You see these people in dead end jobs everyday, they don't want to be there, and their employers don't really want them there. You don't want to end up like that. Do you?

If you have a passion or dream you want to follow of fulfil don't let it slip away. So many people I know have had dreams of careers; not necessarily big-time careers but just ones that would make them happy. They have incurred a tiny setback and they've run away scared that it wouldn't be what they thought it would be, or they’ve been stricken with the fear that they’ll fail.

This isn't just about videogames... it's about you! You know what you enjoy... and you must know what kind of job you want to do!

Many people say: "I have no idea...!" When asked about career aspirations but in your hearts of hearts you know what you want to do.

You don’t have to be good at everything to makes games. There are courses everywhere that’ll teach you ‘C’ and ‘C++’ Programming. You can go to art classes.

Whilst I was browsing in W H Smith today, I came across the 100th edition of EDGE. For those of you that don’t know, EDGE is a major videogames publication sold all over the world. On the front was a picture of Mario and Luigi, drawn by none other than the mother of Mario himself, Shigeru Miyamoto!

But as famous and treasured a man by some as he is, his future wasn’t handed to him on a plate. ‘Shigsy’ wasn’t born into a super-rich family who paid waves of money to people to teach him to have an imagination. His parents did pay people to teach him to be innovative! All that stuff is from his heart.

Have you ever noticed how you do a job that you want to do much better than you do the jobs you don’t want to? Setting up your PS2 to the wide screen TV is a job, but you’re more likely to do that than help mum or dad with the washing up on Christmas day!

My point is the fact that you’re much more likely to do well at something you want to do. Your job isn’t everything in life, but if you set your career path to the goal you want to reach your more likely to do well enough to reach it, because it will include doing jobs that you like.

You know what you want to do in the future… find out what it is you need for your ‘journey’ and go for it… As I said, ‘Shigsy’ had to learn, so did the top developers at Rareware. You think Yugi Naka is any different? Hell no!

Don’t lose your ambition… chase it! Fulfil your dream… you’ll thank yourself for it!

And just to add, I’m not going to work for Rare as of now… it is my goal… (Well, one of them… lol) But I’m not going to make it by wanting to or thinking I can… I’m going to learn the programming needed and go on a ‘ Very, Very Basic Drawing and Design For People As Thick As Game’ course and go out and do it!

Chase your ambition! – It’s got one hell of a head start… you don’t have any time to waste! Go!

Game
Fri 13/07/01 at 14:02
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, my amition is to work for the SR web team at the mo (Seriously!). I suppose my ultimate goal would be to work for Sony Studios Liverpool (formerly Psygnosis). They are my favourite developer of all time.
Fri 13/07/01 at 14:09
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I would work for RARE, but i do not have any qualifications to do with computers and game programming, i have only my enthusiasm, and that seems to count for nothing these days.
Fri 13/07/01 at 15:45
Regular
"everyone says it"
I AM going to kill Bill Gates...

...nothing will stop me, first I must climb the ladder and then use my ways to win his mind on my side then like Brutus I will stab for the world and then five times for myself!
Fri 13/07/01 at 15:52
What kind of credentials do you need to become a games programmer? A few months ago I chose Graphical Design and IT as some of my GCSE options with games programming in mind. Were these the right choices?
Fri 13/07/01 at 16:01
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
There isn't really much you can do at GCSE other than make sure you are on the right "path". What you really need to do is go and look at what Universities will be looking for in the Computer Science/Software Engineering/things along those lines degrees and then work backwards.

In other words, if they what a Physics A-Level then you'd better make sure you are doing the right GCSEs to get into the Physics A-Level course.
Fri 13/07/01 at 16:03
er-no wrote

I AM going to kill Bill Gates...

In reply

Not if I get there first :-)
Fri 13/07/01 at 16:13
Regular
Been there, done that... ;0)

Really though, the greatest of luck to you Game. It's always great to have something to work at.
Fri 13/07/01 at 16:53
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Thanks.... ^_^

I think i'll get that book. It looks ace, and all the reviews have been positive.

I'll pop into the Waterstones in Birmingham and have a look at it... I might as well buy it anyway... :D

Game
Fri 13/07/01 at 17:04
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I am doing computer science at Uni and the options to go into software development or even games design are available in that course. If you want a head start I suggest finding more about computer science in general and low level programming and also java as java seems to appear everywhere these days. You also need to be pretty good at maths as it seems to be a major part of most computer and computer design courses.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.