GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What is the best way to create a mailing list?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/07/01 at 01:11
Regular
Hi,

I made a website recently for a client, and he would like to send out HTML newsletters. I'm currently working on the newsletter, but the big problem is how to store everyone who signs ups e-mail address. Is it possible to do this using Access? Do i need additional software? I want to be able to create the e-mail and then press a button and watch it go to everybody.

Thanx for ur help

Andi
Wed 18/07/01 at 23:57
Regular
I wanted to do this aswell.

www.Listbot.com used to offer this service for free, but like any Microsoft venture they end up charging ridiculous amounts for it. (Think they charge about £200 now)

There are some cgi scripts that store email addresses when the user submits it. Ill have a look for some later.

Dav1d
Wed 18/07/01 at 20:00
PHP has an inbuilt function called mail
call it using mail("toaddress", "title", "message, "from address");
You could have a flat file, opne email on each line, load this into an array, send the email to each person in the array in turn.
You really should check with your ISP to see whether this type of use of their servers is acceptable.
But in priciple it is very easy.
Check your legal situation as well.
Fri 13/07/01 at 15:30
"High polygon count"
There are also a lot of free services for mailing lists on the net.

Bravenet have one that lets you do HTML mails. http://www.bravenet.com
Fri 13/07/01 at 14:05
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You need a MySQL database and a good knowledge of PHP. Sending HTML newsletters isn't the best idea, but it is possible to do it. The one problem you might have is stopping the script from timeouting. You might have to get it to send 400 then refresh itself.

It's fairly hard, but it's very possible. Contact me at [email protected] if you want more info. I could do it for you, but I'd have to charge. £5 sound OK?
Fri 13/07/01 at 01:11
Regular
"How Handy."
Hi,

I made a website recently for a client, and he would like to send out HTML newsletters. I'm currently working on the newsletter, but the big problem is how to store everyone who signs ups e-mail address. Is it possible to do this using Access? Do i need additional software? I want to be able to create the e-mail and then press a button and watch it go to everybody.

Thanx for ur help

Andi

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.