GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The gameboy advance"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/05/00 at 20:58
Regular
I own an N64, and have so far been deprived of the box of magic that is the gameboy. I agree with qaz, that the gameboy dosen't need 3D graphics. But the Game boy advance does. The gameboy advance will be the first thing to fully make 3D gaming portable. It's specs are even able to compete with the N64. Owners will be able to play goldeneye, on a small, full colour screen. The GBA will allow developers to stretch their creative muscles, and make rem-akes of classic games like goldeneye, Zelda and Perfect Dark ( which will be classic). The GBA will have the same buttons as the GBC, but be in a 'landscape' rather than 'portrait' arrangments. It will also incorporate 2 'shoulder' buttons like the N64. The hand-held will link up to dolphin AND N64, and many sub-games ( and it is said full N64 games) can be downloaded to your GBA. When you play over the internet on dolphin, you can buy the add-on camera, plug in your GBA, and see your opponent on it, something gaming has needed for a long time.
Whwn it is released in America in '01, or Japan in '00, I may just be tempted to import one, and i'm sure it will be money well spent. As long as Nintendo gets as many developers working on it as they can, this could surely herald a new era in portable entertainment
Fri 26/05/00 at 20:58
I own an N64, and have so far been deprived of the box of magic that is the gameboy. I agree with qaz, that the gameboy dosen't need 3D graphics. But the Game boy advance does. The gameboy advance will be the first thing to fully make 3D gaming portable. It's specs are even able to compete with the N64. Owners will be able to play goldeneye, on a small, full colour screen. The GBA will allow developers to stretch their creative muscles, and make rem-akes of classic games like goldeneye, Zelda and Perfect Dark ( which will be classic). The GBA will have the same buttons as the GBC, but be in a 'landscape' rather than 'portrait' arrangments. It will also incorporate 2 'shoulder' buttons like the N64. The hand-held will link up to dolphin AND N64, and many sub-games ( and it is said full N64 games) can be downloaded to your GBA. When you play over the internet on dolphin, you can buy the add-on camera, plug in your GBA, and see your opponent on it, something gaming has needed for a long time.
Whwn it is released in America in '01, or Japan in '00, I may just be tempted to import one, and i'm sure it will be money well spent. As long as Nintendo gets as many developers working on it as they can, this could surely herald a new era in portable entertainment
Sat 27/05/00 at 12:52
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
cheers for the info, very good, and it sounds excellent, I don't know that I will buy an import maybe I'll wait for the advertising, see if they can temp me with it first, but this will be another must have for the Nintendo buyers!
Tue 30/05/00 at 19:25
I agree with what your saying on some levels, but It's a bit optermistic to say that the gameboy advance will be able to goldeneye its going to be closer to doom on the snes in the fps area. Also can I just make the point that 3d dosent work on a portable, I can say this with experience from playing my 64 on my pocket tv, it just does'nt work.
Wed 02/08/00 at 15:24
> I agree with qaz, that the gameboy dosen't need 3D graphics. But
> the Game boy advance does.

Does it? With all these super consoles out now, I think I would rather play a good 2d game on the gba than a fuzzy 3d one. The gba will be capable of 3d, but I hope developers don't feel forced to use it when it's not needed.

> The gameboy advance will be the first thing to fully make 3D gaming > portable. It's specs are even able to compete with the N64.

AFAIK the gba will be a suped-up SNES, with slightly enhanced 3d capabilities and a 32-bit RISC processor, but I wouldn't go as far as comparing it to an N64.

> The hand-held will link up to dolphin AND N64, and many sub-games ( > and it is said full N64 games) can be downloaded to your GBA.

I didn't know the gba would be able to connect to an N64. It seems unlikely considering the N64 was invented long before Nintendo thought about the gba, but I'm not dismissing what you've said. Does anybody know the answer?
Fri 18/08/00 at 18:21
I think it would be brilliant if the gba had 3d graphics and it will work. Web don't want to be stuck in the dark ages of 2d portable gaming . It's time to look to the future and the gba i think will prove beyond a doubt that 3d can work on a portable!
Fri 18/08/00 at 22:04
Where did you get that info from? I've heard rumours about it having a 3D syick and 4 buttons like the SNES!

Also, no official info is out till spaceworld 2000! It wont be long though!

I got info on it though (supposedly checked by the officials) on my Nintendo club at www.smartgroups.com/groups/Nintyrules
Sun 20/08/00 at 23:22
Lots of official info is out.
And you are all so wrong.
Firstly, the graphics are a little better than the SNES, NOT N64 and 3D graphics are not capable although sprite scaling and zoom AND transparency effects all are.
It will be played the wide way (Like Neo Geo pocket) and it will contain a 16x9 widescreen...
Sat 09/09/00 at 14:45
I think the future of gaming actually lies in the good old gameboy. One reason for this is the Gameboy is the console that is actually portable, able to fit in a pocket. This is the key. One day the gameboy might have the abillity to view TV through its colour screen or cable. You could link it to a PC and view data or even download games for it. You could have built in radio, or a phone so you could surf the net with pictures unlike the WAP phones. Portabillity is the main reason why the gameboy sold so well, leaving the SNES at home with the sega while the Gameboy was being used on the go. Another thing they could include would be Video Phone, so you could talk to mates and transfer data over a digital connection insted of using a cable link.

Also with memory capacity getting bigger, and the chips getting smaller, maybe games on the gameboy will be as detailed and large as Playstation games.
Sun 10/09/00 at 10:20
The big question is would you buy one? Me maybe, because I still have the first Gameboy to be released and the last game I bought for it was Donkey Kong Land 2.
The graphics are impressive but asking for 3D ones I think is going abit to far. I have many reasons for this but the main one is if you had a game like Mario 64 how the hell are you going to see whats going on on such a small screen. Games such games as Goldeneye will never apear but Doom might make appearance sometime in 2002 but even on a game like that you might struggle to see. What I want to see is game graphic on the line of Yoshi's Story with slight elements of 3D.
The GBA its self still for me lacks two buttons, yes they added the shoulder buttons but four like the SNES would be ideal.
Mario Kart will have to be the launch title for the GBA to successful followed by F-Zero,
for many people who brought the Gameboy Colour in the last month or so will most likely not buy a GBA but for people such as me still with the old green screened GB will bring a hole new life in to games.
I believe the GBA will be successful but only after the first price drop because I believe the price will be over £100 when release.
If Nintendo get it right, the GBA could be a great tool to make the Gamecube successful. Will I buy one, maybe but only time will tell
Thu 12/10/00 at 22:05
Regular
hmmmm...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.