GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess'.
Sat 06/01/07 at 23:03
Regular
"0228"
My life used to revolve around playing games. I’d buy a new one at least once a month and would generally play none-stop until it was complete or I got a new game to replace it. However, over the past couple of years I’ve barely touched any of my game consoles. I had put this down to growing up but playing Zelda made me realise that I was just waiting for something worthwhile to come along.

Despite having not kept in touch with gaming for a while, I was still very excited by the prospect of Zelda. After all, its prequel, Ocarina of Time on the N64 is one of my favourite games of all time. So, when it finally arrived through the post it was instantly rammed into my trusty Gamecube (no fancy Wii for me) and I waited for the magic to begin.

I wasn’t disappointed. Even before you begin taking control you can see only positive in this game. The artwork is fantastic and creates an atmosphere to suit the game perfectly. The graphics can’t compete with the smoothness of some xbox games but the roughness around the edges gives a sort of rustic, timeless feel, which is exactly what you’d want from an epic such as this.

The controls are exactly the same as those from Wind Waker, and for those that don’t know that means they’re as good as you could hope for and very easy to pick up. A minor complaint could be that the item menu isn’t in the same area as the start menu but really that’s just nit picking and will only make even the slightest difference to those of us that played the past Zelda games for hours on end.

The main features of Zelda games are of course the temples. Wind Waker was criticised for having too few but the same can’t be said of this, with nine temples to keep you busy and all of them are ingeniously designed as you would expect from Nintendo, and there are some fantastically original themes to go along with the regular forest, fire, water etc.

Not only will the number of temples keep you busy but also the vast number of side quests including the traditional hunt for heart pieces, catching golden bugs, collecting poe souls, and a whole host of other random pieces that will entertain, excite and amuse you as you encounter the different residents of Hyrule.

So far I have only praised the game, but I can’t say it’s perfect. The addition of Link’s ability to transform into a wolf is something that many seem to like but I can’t help but feel the sections that require this are a bit repetitive, but thankfully this hasn’t been overused and you are able to play as Link for the majority of the game. There’s also a distinct lack of some popular characters and items from past games that could have been included just in minor roles to make the game world seem more full of life, because it has to be said that there are a number of areas that feel very empty and lifeless, especially areas of Hyrule Field, but even parts of Castle Town do too due to the lack of chattiness from its residents. These problems do not by any means ruin the game, but they do stop it from reaching the heights of ‘Ocarina’.

Overall, the game is fantastic, easily game of the year and probably the best ever on the Gamecube. There are a number of memorable moments, and more than one involves Link’s trusty steed who makes a welcome return to the franchise, and the storyline will keep you hooked for the 40 hours plus it will take you to get to the end. It does have some minor flaws but they can be forgiven when you consider the amazing quality throughout the rest of the game.

Rating: 94%
Sat 06/01/07 at 23:24
Regular
Haven't seen you in a while JFH.
Sat 06/01/07 at 23:03
Regular
"0228"
My life used to revolve around playing games. I’d buy a new one at least once a month and would generally play none-stop until it was complete or I got a new game to replace it. However, over the past couple of years I’ve barely touched any of my game consoles. I had put this down to growing up but playing Zelda made me realise that I was just waiting for something worthwhile to come along.

Despite having not kept in touch with gaming for a while, I was still very excited by the prospect of Zelda. After all, its prequel, Ocarina of Time on the N64 is one of my favourite games of all time. So, when it finally arrived through the post it was instantly rammed into my trusty Gamecube (no fancy Wii for me) and I waited for the magic to begin.

I wasn’t disappointed. Even before you begin taking control you can see only positive in this game. The artwork is fantastic and creates an atmosphere to suit the game perfectly. The graphics can’t compete with the smoothness of some xbox games but the roughness around the edges gives a sort of rustic, timeless feel, which is exactly what you’d want from an epic such as this.

The controls are exactly the same as those from Wind Waker, and for those that don’t know that means they’re as good as you could hope for and very easy to pick up. A minor complaint could be that the item menu isn’t in the same area as the start menu but really that’s just nit picking and will only make even the slightest difference to those of us that played the past Zelda games for hours on end.

The main features of Zelda games are of course the temples. Wind Waker was criticised for having too few but the same can’t be said of this, with nine temples to keep you busy and all of them are ingeniously designed as you would expect from Nintendo, and there are some fantastically original themes to go along with the regular forest, fire, water etc.

Not only will the number of temples keep you busy but also the vast number of side quests including the traditional hunt for heart pieces, catching golden bugs, collecting poe souls, and a whole host of other random pieces that will entertain, excite and amuse you as you encounter the different residents of Hyrule.

So far I have only praised the game, but I can’t say it’s perfect. The addition of Link’s ability to transform into a wolf is something that many seem to like but I can’t help but feel the sections that require this are a bit repetitive, but thankfully this hasn’t been overused and you are able to play as Link for the majority of the game. There’s also a distinct lack of some popular characters and items from past games that could have been included just in minor roles to make the game world seem more full of life, because it has to be said that there are a number of areas that feel very empty and lifeless, especially areas of Hyrule Field, but even parts of Castle Town do too due to the lack of chattiness from its residents. These problems do not by any means ruin the game, but they do stop it from reaching the heights of ‘Ocarina’.

Overall, the game is fantastic, easily game of the year and probably the best ever on the Gamecube. There are a number of memorable moments, and more than one involves Link’s trusty steed who makes a welcome return to the franchise, and the storyline will keep you hooked for the 40 hours plus it will take you to get to the end. It does have some minor flaws but they can be forgiven when you consider the amazing quality throughout the rest of the game.

Rating: 94%

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.