GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Gamecube's BIG THING"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/05/04 at 12:25
Regular
Be it the Gameboy Colour's Pokemon, the N64's Goldeneye or the Playstation's Metal Gear Solid there is always a big seller on a system. A system-seller they are called. Oh sure there are many small versions of that, Zelda's, Mario's, Tomb-Raider's etc... all shift systems, but a game that makes the system, Megadrive’s Sonic, the SNES's Mario. These sell consoles all by themselves.

Microsoft's Halo and Playstation 2's GTA 3.

The problem with the Gamecube? We don't have one.

In a recent BBC article it read Nintendo need to move away from gimmicks (referring to the DS (don’t really agree but never mind) and the GBA-GC link up) and old franchises.

Nonsense.

Old franchises are vital for Nintendo's future. It is what the fanbase is here for. But Nintendo must create new franchises, and a new system seller.

And they came so close. Oh so close.

Believe it or not Pikmin and Metroid Prime, 2 original game series’, 2 wonderful little games that sold really well could have done a hell of a lot better.

Believe it or not, despite the adventure elements, Prime has all the makings of a classic (well it is) and when I say Classic I mean the Goldeneye for the Gamecube. A game that is so good that everybody around the world will buy a Gamecube for that game.

Just one problem. No multiplayer. As sad as it maybe even single player games such as GTA3 have a social element. And Metroid Prime would have spread like wildfire if every Gamecube owner played the multiplayer with his or her mates. "This game's actually rather good", word spreads, and the game stays at the top for months, Gamecube's are sold. But of course who wants to sit and watch someone else play a first person adventure game?

As much as the Metroid addicts feel there is no need for a multiplayer there really was. It had a superb single player, the best single player this generation of first person shooters has to offer. But no multiplayer? Criminal.

Now what about Pikmin? Well where's the freedom!?! Look at GTA 3, look at Mario, look at Pokemon, games like Pikmin need freedom, they NEED the ability to explore. Pikmin is such a fun, quirky and fantastic title. No matter of the age demographic the game is so fun. But for some unknown reason Nintendo strapped a time limit onto it.

Yes it added an extra gameplay mechanic but it destroyed Pikmin's potential. Who wants a game you finish in an hour and a half? It sold well because it was good, unlike Prime a multiplayer was not essential but a time-limit! Good God Nintendo what have you done!!!!!! Nintendo actually (heaven forbid) advertised the Pikmin game rather well and the average Joe knew about it, Pikmin's advertisement campaign in Japan was MASSIVE. But Pikmin had one element, like Metroid Prime, that meant it never had the hook.

The Metroid Prime and Pikmin series of games are now part of the Nintendo legacy, but they could have done so much more. These are 2 brand new series’ that could have shifted Gamecube's in their millions, not in there hundreds.

So what now? Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Pikmin 2 rectify what they did wrong. Metroid Prime not only has a far more advanced single player mode but also a comprehensive multiplayer mode (several new features for Samus were originally made for this mode alone before being implemented into the single player, proving Retro's dedication to it). Using the grapple hook, the morph boost, the bombs, the various weaponry to escape your foe is a brilliant nice twist on the multiplayer mechanic using the unique Prime gameplay. Metroid Prime 2 is a worthwhile upgrade.

Pikmin also adds a multiplayer mode, which is wonderful, a far larger gaming experience, more Pikmin, more characters, better graphics AND NO TIME LIMIT. *Cheers*. Two of the Gamecube's most innovative games have finally been perfected in the sequel, it is difficult to think how these games can move into a third, it'll have to be the next console as these games cannot expand on this current platform any further.

But is it too late? Surly it is one original game that sells a system, not a sequel, oh well we didn't do it first time around lets have a go this time. No this does not happen.

Well it does.

GTA was a successful game like Pikmin and Metroid Prime BUT it wasn't until the third title in the series that the game blew up into one of the industries biggest asset. Resident Evil was a popular title that sold well, Resident Evil 2 was a popular title that sold phenomenally.

Mario Bros. 3, the third in the series, remains the biggest selling game in the Mario series.

As 2D Zelda's go none of them did as well as the SNES and fourth title 'A Link To the Past'.

Yes this year we will not get the wonderful looking Resident Evil 4 and The Legend of Zelda. Instead we will get the sequels to the born and bread Gamecube franchises, Pikmin and Metroid Prime. Gamecube’s children so to speak.

Can these games save the Gamecube?
Tue 25/05/04 at 12:25
Regular
Be it the Gameboy Colour's Pokemon, the N64's Goldeneye or the Playstation's Metal Gear Solid there is always a big seller on a system. A system-seller they are called. Oh sure there are many small versions of that, Zelda's, Mario's, Tomb-Raider's etc... all shift systems, but a game that makes the system, Megadrive’s Sonic, the SNES's Mario. These sell consoles all by themselves.

Microsoft's Halo and Playstation 2's GTA 3.

The problem with the Gamecube? We don't have one.

In a recent BBC article it read Nintendo need to move away from gimmicks (referring to the DS (don’t really agree but never mind) and the GBA-GC link up) and old franchises.

Nonsense.

Old franchises are vital for Nintendo's future. It is what the fanbase is here for. But Nintendo must create new franchises, and a new system seller.

And they came so close. Oh so close.

Believe it or not Pikmin and Metroid Prime, 2 original game series’, 2 wonderful little games that sold really well could have done a hell of a lot better.

Believe it or not, despite the adventure elements, Prime has all the makings of a classic (well it is) and when I say Classic I mean the Goldeneye for the Gamecube. A game that is so good that everybody around the world will buy a Gamecube for that game.

Just one problem. No multiplayer. As sad as it maybe even single player games such as GTA3 have a social element. And Metroid Prime would have spread like wildfire if every Gamecube owner played the multiplayer with his or her mates. "This game's actually rather good", word spreads, and the game stays at the top for months, Gamecube's are sold. But of course who wants to sit and watch someone else play a first person adventure game?

As much as the Metroid addicts feel there is no need for a multiplayer there really was. It had a superb single player, the best single player this generation of first person shooters has to offer. But no multiplayer? Criminal.

Now what about Pikmin? Well where's the freedom!?! Look at GTA 3, look at Mario, look at Pokemon, games like Pikmin need freedom, they NEED the ability to explore. Pikmin is such a fun, quirky and fantastic title. No matter of the age demographic the game is so fun. But for some unknown reason Nintendo strapped a time limit onto it.

Yes it added an extra gameplay mechanic but it destroyed Pikmin's potential. Who wants a game you finish in an hour and a half? It sold well because it was good, unlike Prime a multiplayer was not essential but a time-limit! Good God Nintendo what have you done!!!!!! Nintendo actually (heaven forbid) advertised the Pikmin game rather well and the average Joe knew about it, Pikmin's advertisement campaign in Japan was MASSIVE. But Pikmin had one element, like Metroid Prime, that meant it never had the hook.

The Metroid Prime and Pikmin series of games are now part of the Nintendo legacy, but they could have done so much more. These are 2 brand new series’ that could have shifted Gamecube's in their millions, not in there hundreds.

So what now? Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Pikmin 2 rectify what they did wrong. Metroid Prime not only has a far more advanced single player mode but also a comprehensive multiplayer mode (several new features for Samus were originally made for this mode alone before being implemented into the single player, proving Retro's dedication to it). Using the grapple hook, the morph boost, the bombs, the various weaponry to escape your foe is a brilliant nice twist on the multiplayer mechanic using the unique Prime gameplay. Metroid Prime 2 is a worthwhile upgrade.

Pikmin also adds a multiplayer mode, which is wonderful, a far larger gaming experience, more Pikmin, more characters, better graphics AND NO TIME LIMIT. *Cheers*. Two of the Gamecube's most innovative games have finally been perfected in the sequel, it is difficult to think how these games can move into a third, it'll have to be the next console as these games cannot expand on this current platform any further.

But is it too late? Surly it is one original game that sells a system, not a sequel, oh well we didn't do it first time around lets have a go this time. No this does not happen.

Well it does.

GTA was a successful game like Pikmin and Metroid Prime BUT it wasn't until the third title in the series that the game blew up into one of the industries biggest asset. Resident Evil was a popular title that sold well, Resident Evil 2 was a popular title that sold phenomenally.

Mario Bros. 3, the third in the series, remains the biggest selling game in the Mario series.

As 2D Zelda's go none of them did as well as the SNES and fourth title 'A Link To the Past'.

Yes this year we will not get the wonderful looking Resident Evil 4 and The Legend of Zelda. Instead we will get the sequels to the born and bread Gamecube franchises, Pikmin and Metroid Prime. Gamecube’s children so to speak.

Can these games save the Gamecube?
Tue 25/05/04 at 13:34
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Pikmin was a good game, but I didn't want to be restricted by time limits, as you said. If Pikmin 2 is an improvement on the orginal, and, like you say, has no time limits, then it shouold be on my shelf when it comes out.
Tue 25/05/04 at 13:38
Regular
All the time limit did in Pikmin was to add a sense of challenge to the game.

It is easy to complete it 100% with more than five days left to go.
Tue 25/05/04 at 14:08
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
What's the big fuss about Metroid Prime, I don't get it. I can't be bothered going back to it at 50% completion... you just walk around and shoot things over and over and over... the discovery element is spoiled by the fact you have to traipse back and forth through the same old rooms constantly and the combat element is not very exciting (bar some of the boss battles)
Tue 25/05/04 at 14:11
Regular
Prime never had the capacity to be another Goldeneye.

It's wasn't because of lack of multiplayer, it's a very niche game. A lot of people find the combat uninspiring and the endless backtracking tiresome.
Tue 25/05/04 at 14:16
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
Darwock wrote:
> What's the big fuss about Metroid Prime, I don't get it. I can't be
> bothered going back to it at 50% completion... you just walk around
> and shoot things over and over and over... the discovery element is
> spoiled by the fact you have to traipse back and forth through the
> same old rooms constantly and the combat element is not very exciting
> (bar some of the boss battles)

-Story is interesting
-Explorations is cool. I like findng stuff, and matching a tool to the job which you have to do many times in Prime. The sense of satisfaction is quite great.
-The retracing of steps can be tiresome - but planning the route on the map can save time and effort. There is some strategy here- since most enemies yield power ups you need for the newer (and inevitably) harder sections.
-It's just so beautifully realised, everything fits so well.

Weird but true - you just feel it's a great game and end up proving yourself right. I understand it not everyones cup of tea - but thats why the world is interesting and I am typing this.
Tue 25/05/04 at 15:43
Regular
Metroid in 3D has the potential.

It could've been the game that Tomb Raider SHOULD have been.

Give an "cool" character Mario's playability and you've introduced the adult/casual market to Nintendo's world of fun.
Metroid Prime had nearly all the other elements of Metroid, which gave it depth and all the other things that made it a hardcore's dream, but without the flashy moves and instant playability it would never appeal to the mass market.

Pikmin?
Every casual I knew who saw it laughed at it.
Every casual I let play through just the first day got hooked on it.

I guess there wasn't quite enough to hold them there, but it sort of had potential.

Not bad tries from Nintendo, but not quite "it" either.
But don't give up.
Tue 25/05/04 at 16:20
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Prime never had the capacity to be another Goldeneye.
>
> It's wasn't because of lack of multiplayer, it's a very niche game. A
> lot of people find the combat uninspiring and the endless
> backtracking tiresome.

Popycock, it's a niche title as not enough people tried it (it did hit the top of the charts though)

Endless backtracking? You are all really overrexagerrating this... the fact is even trapsing back through the rooms enables you to uncover new areas and it's not as if the rooms were bare.

It's all apart of an adventure title, I've complained about the game in the past but the backtracking never annoyed me. GTA 3, MGS etc... etc... all feature problems but like Metroid Prime the good parts of them are VERY VERY good. The game just needed that hook, Pikmin had the hook but it was lost because of the time limit.

Which, Edgy, was a cheap way of making the game harder... the time management idea could remain simply by the daily time limit.
Tue 25/05/04 at 16:23
Regular
> Tiltawhirl wrote:
and the endless
> backtracking tiresome.

Still beats Halo, in terms of scenary and layout you were backtracking when you were going forwards
Tue 25/05/04 at 16:28
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:

> Still beats Halo, in terms of scenary and layout you were
> backtracking when you were going forwards

Now that's just superb.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.