GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The end of Disc Read Errors?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/05/04 at 13:57
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
HDLoader allows you to install and run your Playstation 2 games directly from a hard disk drive connected to your console. An official network adaptor is required, but just about any IDE hard drive over 40GB is compatible.

http://www.hdloader.com

(note this doesn't even require the internal PS2 HDD)
Tue 25/05/04 at 13:57
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
HDLoader allows you to install and run your Playstation 2 games directly from a hard disk drive connected to your console. An official network adaptor is required, but just about any IDE hard drive over 40GB is compatible.

http://www.hdloader.com

(note this doesn't even require the internal PS2 HDD)
Tue 25/05/04 at 13:58
Regular
Your PS2 has to be modded though, doesn't it?
Tue 25/05/04 at 14:02
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
No, I assume it connects by ethernet via the network adapter. If it required a chipped machine they couldn't sell it.
Tue 25/05/04 at 14:33
Regular
Not many resellers...
Tue 25/05/04 at 17:07
Regular
Is this official ?
Tue 25/05/04 at 17:10
Regular
Ive preordered mine already
Tue 25/05/04 at 17:33
Regular
Good, you can tell us how good (or crap) it is :)
Tue 25/05/04 at 17:37
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Doesn't really get around the disc read error program seeing as you need the PS2 to be able to read the disc in the first place to store it on the HDD.

It's also worth noting that HDLoader will not pass DNAS checks, meaning you have to run games from the original disc if you want to play them online.

So although its only benefit is touted as reduced loading times, effectively it's more likely to be looked upon as a device to make it easier to store 'borrowed games'. I.E. its main use will be illegal.

My advice would be wait (and wait and wait) for the Official HDD, which is about 6 months away.
Tue 25/05/04 at 17:47
Regular
At the moment the lack of online play is the only disadvantage to using the HDloader, though thankfully not being able to play PS2 online won't be missed much. Another problem could be the hard drives - from the pics it aseems only Sony HDs will fit with no problems, which is unfortunate as they only come with 40GB. Suitable for just under 10 fully fledged games. I guess i'll limit the games I put onto the HD to those which take ages to load.

As for the (official) release of the Sony HDD, no need as I have one now. However, even after 6 MONTHS, there is no guarantee that all future games will support the HD ie. make use of of preloading data from the HD, and it's certain that all exisitng games won't. So it looks like the HDLoader is a very attractive proposition indeed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.