GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain'.
Tue 25/05/04 at 18:44
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Time to get excited! This is going to be one of the biggest games to come out of nowhere this year. (Except for the die hard SF fans from the PSOne days who have been following it for years).

Basically, it's one collossal game. Huge levels. Once you get used to the controls (which can be fiddly at first) then it really opens up into one of the best shooters you've played this year. 17 gigantic offline levels, each with their own directives to fulfill, each of which unlocks new weapons which you can store on your profile and use to go back through the missions again.

Each mission has its own par time, beating that will unlock more weapons. Each weapon has its own attribute e.g. stun guns are stealth kills, using these will allow you to build up each respective rating (e.g. stealth kills, headshots, heavy explosives etc) and guess what? Yep, you get to unlock more weapons!

As well as extra weapons (literally hundreds of them, including knives, flamethrowers, anti-tank weapons, grenades, sniper rifles, assault rifles, tasers, you name it) you can unlock extra customisations for your profile like extra health, extra ammo, alter the physical appearance of your agent with tatoos, cammo, bodyarmour etc., and improve your rating.

And once you've done all this? There are certain things in the game you can only get if you complete them online, so you can team up with up to 3 others and do all the missions co-operatively and reach those hard to get areas that you can't reach solo in the single player game. And guess what? Yup, new ratings mean even more weapons!

So, if you're looking for a shooter with longevity, SF:TOS is my tip, out at the end of June.
Tue 25/05/04 at 18:44
Regular
Time to get excited! This is going to be one of the biggest games to come out of nowhere this year. (Except for the die hard SF fans from the PSOne days who have been following it for years).

Basically, it's one collossal game. Huge levels. Once you get used to the controls (which can be fiddly at first) then it really opens up into one of the best shooters you've played this year. 17 gigantic offline levels, each with their own directives to fulfill, each of which unlocks new weapons which you can store on your profile and use to go back through the missions again.

Each mission has its own par time, beating that will unlock more weapons. Each weapon has its own attribute e.g. stun guns are stealth kills, using these will allow you to build up each respective rating (e.g. stealth kills, headshots, heavy explosives etc) and guess what? Yep, you get to unlock more weapons!

As well as extra weapons (literally hundreds of them, including knives, flamethrowers, anti-tank weapons, grenades, sniper rifles, assault rifles, tasers, you name it) you can unlock extra customisations for your profile like extra health, extra ammo, alter the physical appearance of your agent with tatoos, cammo, bodyarmour etc., and improve your rating.

And once you've done all this? There are certain things in the game you can only get if you complete them online, so you can team up with up to 3 others and do all the missions co-operatively and reach those hard to get areas that you can't reach solo in the single player game. And guess what? Yup, new ratings mean even more weapons!

So, if you're looking for a shooter with longevity, SF:TOS is my tip, out at the end of June.
Tue 25/05/04 at 18:48
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Hey, FM : are you on PSX Online beta? Was SF:OS any good?
Tue 25/05/04 at 18:49
Regular
I cannot wait for this game to come out.
Tue 25/05/04 at 18:52
Regular
phuzzy wrote:
> Hey, FM : are you on PSX Online beta? Was SF:OS any good?

The Sony Network Trials have an Non Disclosure Agreement meaning that if I were on the Trials I couldn't tell anyone about it or else I'd have to shoot them.

Which also means I can't tell anyone about how excellent this game was to test. If I had tested it. *Cough*
Tue 25/05/04 at 18:55
Regular
Which also means you are obligated to hype up the game well beyond it's true quality in an attempt to sell more copies. Which will of course happen.
Tue 25/05/04 at 19:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I remember Gamespot didn't like this much.

*prepares for Darwock*
Tue 25/05/04 at 20:57
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
I followed it through the PS1 days. Then rebought them for PS2. It was the first time I ever got past that Helicopter on Rhoemors Base which took me a whole day. Syphon Filter 2 was easy but just as good no great no exellent. Anyone remember the final bit with chance in SF2? And the great parking lot level.
And then theres SF3. I never quite got into this but it was still ok I guess. Though the first level was pretty fun being that sniper from the opposite building n' all I got to this hideously hard bit where you were ambushed by snipers from both sides of canyon ridges.

So yeah im greatly anticipating this game greatly greatly.
Tue 25/05/04 at 21:42
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
FantasyMeister wrote:
> phuzzy wrote:
> Hey, FM : are you on PSX Online beta? Was SF:OS any good?
>
> The Sony Network Trials have an Non Disclosure Agreement meaning that
> if I were on the Trials I couldn't tell anyone about it or else I'd
> have to shoot them.

I know, I know. If I were on the Trials, I'd have to stick to that too.. :D

If I was in the trial, and you were in the trial, would you use the trial forum, perchance ;)?
Tue 25/05/04 at 23:06
Regular
That's a lie by the way, I've signed quite a few important NDAs in the past and in all of them there's no restriction saying you can't ssimpy say if a game is good or not.
Wed 26/05/04 at 10:47
Regular
Well -someone- obviously didn't read the small print.

I've not signed anything. But I like to sound important.

*taps nose*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.