GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computer Games Aren't Real....Are They?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/05/04 at 15:38
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Over the years there has been many arguments that people who play computer games replicate what they see or do in a computer game. This has been a focal point over for those people with their tweed jackets that have never played anything more than patience on their PC...rather than running the country (not that I'm pointing the finger at MP's with no personalities).

Do they have a point?

Well firstly you have to look at the games that have caused the "uproar" that nobody really cares about. With my first console being the Atari2600, I can't really remember people having a problem with Centipede, but I soon remember there being a problem when I had my Megadrive and games such as Streets of Rage, Streetfighter and Mortal Kombat began to get released. Firstly I'd like to ask the people who had "issues" over these games, how many people they actually saw Turn into a Dragon and bite someone in half, or do a hundred hand slap, or even call a police car to fire a bazooka at someone "cause he stepped on my Reebok Pumps".....exactly Zero.

When you move on to the newer console games that supposedly glamorise thugery, violence etc, I still have too disagree that they have a point. Grand Theft Auto is a title that attracted many people to take of their cardigans, replace their colostemy bag and have a go at the way it encourages society to steal cars. I don't believe this is so, as to actually go out and steal a car takes someone with fewer brains than **Insert your American president here**, whist to actually play to game takes time effort and intelligence...something the car thieving scum of this earth don't have. Besides it also has to be reminded to those waiting for their hip replacements before they sit up and have a go, that people used to steal cars way before computer games were released. Other titles which include limbs being blown off, the odd person being decapitated, do not make someone go out and do it in real life, unless they're already severely demented and have been released from a mental hospital after being declared "safe to go back in to the community"

Why don't the games have an Impact?

Despite graphics becoming more and more realistic, people know what is socially acceptable behaviour. People are intelligent but aren't given credit for it. Therefore of course I'm not going to go out and drive my car at 200mph though the local street....(In an Alan Partridge voice "because it really can't go that fast")...as it'd be stupid and a cop out to say I was influenced by so and so a game. If I did drive at 200mph then firstly I'd like to thank whoever it was who gave me a car to go that fast and secondly I'd be going that fast purely because I was either an idiot or wanted to drive that fast - no other reason.

It's always strange as well why no-one ever blames computer games for the demise of the Hedgehogs in this country!! You give them Sonic on the Master System, Megadrive, Playstation, GBA etc etc but no one raises an eyebrow that several of the poor spiky fellas have tried to see if they can run as fast as Sonic on our roads!! Why wasn't there an uproar as well that it would also influence children to dress up as spiky haired blue hedgehogs? Admittedly this could have been due to a world shortage of blue face paint but it's because people aren't influenced by games in such ways as some sectors of the community would lead you to believe.

I think the ideal test would be to have Spearmint Rhino Club game with full motion video be released. If attendance figures at the clubs went up then there may be some correlation, but until then we'll never know 100%. So until such times arrive, I'm off to get myself a new suit, two new waterpsitols, and become a "hitman" at the Win a Fish loacl fair stall!!
Sun 13/02/05 at 23:47
Regular
"Get It?Got It?Good!"
I used to try and copy some of the skills off of FIFA games until i got too good hehehe, but i wouldnt try and copy things off of the violent games, basically because i have too much common sense...and lets face it...you dont need much common sense to realise that you shouldnt go and slice someone with a machete

I used to get so annoyed with the manager games when my team lost or players got sent off so it probably caused more anger
Thu 20/01/05 at 21:03
Regular
"but i am a sheep..."
computer games aren't real???!
OMG and there was me after playing Final Fantasy going into peoples houses and just helping myself to whatever was there, and randomly attacking people calling them fiends!
i now know the error of my ways and will immediately go see a shrink
Sat 15/01/05 at 19:00
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
I'm split over the 'Manhunt' case, but otherwise. I don't think games affect people.

If you saw someone running up walls, (Sonic)
another man going down a pipe, (Mario)
a 12-year-old in charge of a city (Simcity)
and a Boss-Health-meter floating in mid-air,(Any game with Bosses in it!) the antidote is:

Go and see a psychiatrist. nutcase
Sat 25/09/04 at 16:02
Regular
"Braaains"
Some people are just so mental they'll be influenced by anything.. it's a well known fact that Hitler inspiration to invade Poland came from an episode of The Care Bears.
Tue 01/06/04 at 12:32
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
i read the first sentance and,
after playing gtavc i went out in a car,

i started to think why not just squeeze through there and do this,
things i would never of usually thought.

although its still a good game just got to keep thinking all the time...
Mon 31/05/04 at 14:25
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> computer games enable us to vent our untamed anger and murderous rage
> in a nice, safe, controlled and most important fun way.

Exactly, and it saves trying to find somewhere to hide the body afterwards **goes and washes hands**
Mon 31/05/04 at 14:04
Regular
computer games enable us to vent our untamed anger and murderous rage in a nice, safe, controlled and most important fun way.
Mon 31/05/04 at 13:57
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Jakxter wrote:
> You do explain your points in detail don't you, Mr Lover Man.

That I do, dear Jakxter...that I do!!
Sat 29/05/04 at 14:57
Regular
"Up your Arsenal!!"
You do explain your points in detail don't you, Mr Lover Man.
Wed 26/05/04 at 15:38
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Over the years there has been many arguments that people who play computer games replicate what they see or do in a computer game. This has been a focal point over for those people with their tweed jackets that have never played anything more than patience on their PC...rather than running the country (not that I'm pointing the finger at MP's with no personalities).

Do they have a point?

Well firstly you have to look at the games that have caused the "uproar" that nobody really cares about. With my first console being the Atari2600, I can't really remember people having a problem with Centipede, but I soon remember there being a problem when I had my Megadrive and games such as Streets of Rage, Streetfighter and Mortal Kombat began to get released. Firstly I'd like to ask the people who had "issues" over these games, how many people they actually saw Turn into a Dragon and bite someone in half, or do a hundred hand slap, or even call a police car to fire a bazooka at someone "cause he stepped on my Reebok Pumps".....exactly Zero.

When you move on to the newer console games that supposedly glamorise thugery, violence etc, I still have too disagree that they have a point. Grand Theft Auto is a title that attracted many people to take of their cardigans, replace their colostemy bag and have a go at the way it encourages society to steal cars. I don't believe this is so, as to actually go out and steal a car takes someone with fewer brains than **Insert your American president here**, whist to actually play to game takes time effort and intelligence...something the car thieving scum of this earth don't have. Besides it also has to be reminded to those waiting for their hip replacements before they sit up and have a go, that people used to steal cars way before computer games were released. Other titles which include limbs being blown off, the odd person being decapitated, do not make someone go out and do it in real life, unless they're already severely demented and have been released from a mental hospital after being declared "safe to go back in to the community"

Why don't the games have an Impact?

Despite graphics becoming more and more realistic, people know what is socially acceptable behaviour. People are intelligent but aren't given credit for it. Therefore of course I'm not going to go out and drive my car at 200mph though the local street....(In an Alan Partridge voice "because it really can't go that fast")...as it'd be stupid and a cop out to say I was influenced by so and so a game. If I did drive at 200mph then firstly I'd like to thank whoever it was who gave me a car to go that fast and secondly I'd be going that fast purely because I was either an idiot or wanted to drive that fast - no other reason.

It's always strange as well why no-one ever blames computer games for the demise of the Hedgehogs in this country!! You give them Sonic on the Master System, Megadrive, Playstation, GBA etc etc but no one raises an eyebrow that several of the poor spiky fellas have tried to see if they can run as fast as Sonic on our roads!! Why wasn't there an uproar as well that it would also influence children to dress up as spiky haired blue hedgehogs? Admittedly this could have been due to a world shortage of blue face paint but it's because people aren't influenced by games in such ways as some sectors of the community would lead you to believe.

I think the ideal test would be to have Spearmint Rhino Club game with full motion video be released. If attendance figures at the clubs went up then there may be some correlation, but until then we'll never know 100%. So until such times arrive, I'm off to get myself a new suit, two new waterpsitols, and become a "hitman" at the Win a Fish loacl fair stall!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.