GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What do you think of Savage Garden?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/07/01 at 00:51
Regular
I don’t know which style of music theirs falls under, all I know is that Savage Garden are one of the greatest groups of recent times, and if you haven’t already done so, I highly advise you to listen to some of their songs. Their last album, Affirmation is probably one of the best I have heard in a long time, with each and every song worthy of a release. It’s a rarity, not many albums are as good as this Australian group’s, so put any prejudices you may or may not have had against them aside and go out, buy the CD and play it again and again!

Consisting primarily of Darren Hayes – the lead vocalist (he also sings his background vocals) and Daniel Jones, the main instrumentalist, with a lot of help from Walter Afanasieff in producing the album (many other people too, but too many to mention), Affirmation has 12 stunning tracks – I think it’s a mix of rock, soft rock and something else, anyway it doesn’t matter, I like anything good, and this is certainly better than good! Ok, so he may sound like a woman at times when singing, but Mr Hayes has a very distinctive voice, and makes use of it throughout the album.

Nearly all the tracks combine a blend of Acoustic, electric and bass guitars, with synthesizers, drum and rhythm sequencing and more – sounds very good indeed. I’m not going to analyse each and ever track, but they’re all really, really good. Most with thought provoking lyrics, and a definite emotion – very emotive songs, extremely well written, they will make you think and you’ll no doubt be singing the words (which are all in the inlay) along with the song. Affirmation, Crash and Burn, The Animal Song, Two Beds and a Coffee machine are the best tracks, in my view. Very rhythmic too, which is never a bad thing.

The album: 1. Affirmation, every line starting with “I believe” (i.e. I believe the sun should never shine upon an argument…) it’s a great opening track kicking off for the rest of the tunes. Very easy to listen to, well put together, and an essential CD for fans of music!

1. Affirmation.
2. Hold me.
3. I knew I loved you
4. The Best thing
5. Crash and Burn
6. Chained to You
7. The Animal Song
8. The Lover After me
9. Two Beds and a coffee machine
10. You can still be free
11. Gunning down romance
12. Don’t know you anymore
There’s the lot, I’ll leave you with the words to the most upbeat track, The Animal Song: (hope that’s ok with you)

“When Superstars and cannonballs are running through your head,
Television freak show cops and robbers everywhere,
Subway makes me nervous people pushing me too far
Got to break away so take my hand now because
I want to live (like animals)
Careless and free (like animals)
I want to live
I want to run through the jungle the wind in my hair and the sand at my feet

I’ve been having difficulties keeping to myself,
Feelings and emotions left up on the shelf
Animals and children tell the truth they never lie,
Which one is more human?
There’s a thought now you decide
Compassion in the jungle,
Compassion in your hands
Would you like to make a run for it?
Would you like to take my hand?

I want to live

Sometimes this life can get you down
It’s so confusing there’s so many rules to follow
But I don’t feel it because I just run away in my mind

When Superstars and cannonballs are running through your head,
Which one is more human?

Compassion in your hands

I want to live

There you go! Think about the words, if you like, do listen to the music, it’s surprisingly good and shows they’ve got more than just their first album – they’re talented, so what if they’re gay or not, it’s all about the music – well done to them for such a superb album. Moon and back (superb song) and Truly Madly Deeply, both from there self titled debut album, are absolute classics. Positive outlook on life, listen.

Thanks for reading, what do you think about Savage Garden?
Thu 12/07/01 at 00:51
I don’t know which style of music theirs falls under, all I know is that Savage Garden are one of the greatest groups of recent times, and if you haven’t already done so, I highly advise you to listen to some of their songs. Their last album, Affirmation is probably one of the best I have heard in a long time, with each and every song worthy of a release. It’s a rarity, not many albums are as good as this Australian group’s, so put any prejudices you may or may not have had against them aside and go out, buy the CD and play it again and again!

Consisting primarily of Darren Hayes – the lead vocalist (he also sings his background vocals) and Daniel Jones, the main instrumentalist, with a lot of help from Walter Afanasieff in producing the album (many other people too, but too many to mention), Affirmation has 12 stunning tracks – I think it’s a mix of rock, soft rock and something else, anyway it doesn’t matter, I like anything good, and this is certainly better than good! Ok, so he may sound like a woman at times when singing, but Mr Hayes has a very distinctive voice, and makes use of it throughout the album.

Nearly all the tracks combine a blend of Acoustic, electric and bass guitars, with synthesizers, drum and rhythm sequencing and more – sounds very good indeed. I’m not going to analyse each and ever track, but they’re all really, really good. Most with thought provoking lyrics, and a definite emotion – very emotive songs, extremely well written, they will make you think and you’ll no doubt be singing the words (which are all in the inlay) along with the song. Affirmation, Crash and Burn, The Animal Song, Two Beds and a Coffee machine are the best tracks, in my view. Very rhythmic too, which is never a bad thing.

The album: 1. Affirmation, every line starting with “I believe” (i.e. I believe the sun should never shine upon an argument…) it’s a great opening track kicking off for the rest of the tunes. Very easy to listen to, well put together, and an essential CD for fans of music!

1. Affirmation.
2. Hold me.
3. I knew I loved you
4. The Best thing
5. Crash and Burn
6. Chained to You
7. The Animal Song
8. The Lover After me
9. Two Beds and a coffee machine
10. You can still be free
11. Gunning down romance
12. Don’t know you anymore
There’s the lot, I’ll leave you with the words to the most upbeat track, The Animal Song: (hope that’s ok with you)

“When Superstars and cannonballs are running through your head,
Subway makes me nervous people pushing me too far
Got to break away so take my hand now because
I want to live

I’ve been having difficulties keeping to myself,
Feelings and emotions left up on the shelf
Which one is more human?
Compassion in your hands

I want to live

Sometimes this life can get you down
It’s so confusing there’s so many rules to follow
But I don’t feel it because I just run away in my mind

When Superstars and cannonballs are running through your head,
Which one is more human?

Compassion in your hands

I want to live

There you go! Think about the words, if you like, do listen to the music, it’s surprisingly good and shows they’ve got more than just their first album – they’re talented, so what if they’re gay or not, it’s all about the music – well done to them for such a superb album. Moon and back (superb song) and Truly Madly Deeply, both from there self titled debut album, are absolute classics. Positive outlook on life, listen.

Thanks for reading, what do you think about Savage Garden?
Thu 12/07/01 at 01:41
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Well you did ask... I absolutely hate Savage Garden. It is very rare for me to hate anything - expically a band (and I use that in the loosest sense here). I seriously think Savage Garden are my least favourite band in the word and the only one I wish didn't exist.

They don't have a single reeming feature in my eyes. Their lyrics are absolutely awful. Look at some of the ones you've mentioned...

>Animals and children tell the truth they never lie,
>Which one is more human?
>There’s a thought now you decide

What the flip (being nicey nicey with my language :) does that mean? I've read some of the most obscure poetry from Yeats ramblings in his mature years to TS Elliot's Wasteland. Now they are the on the face of things the most random collection of images and words but eventually you find a meaning in them To me, that Savage Garden lyric makes no sense. Sure, you can see what they are getting at, but it is simply so stupid and sickly I can't believe they actually wasted thought on it. Just simply awful, even thinking about it makes my back squirm. That lyric, just looking at it makes me annoyed. It is a pathetic attempt at writing meaningful lyrics - IT'S SO FAR OFF MEANINGFUL. It is twee and yuuuuuhhhhhhhhh...

Their actual music is so wet - almost apologetic. I just can't stand them. I'm sorry, I'm sure you see something good in them and I'm glad you've found music you like so much and I shouldn't be so annoyed by them... BUT I AM.

Put it this way. Imagine all the things you DON'T like about music/performers. Now mash them together into a band and that is what Savage Garden are like for me.
Thu 12/07/01 at 09:05
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Not a great fan myself either.
Thu 12/07/01 at 09:50
Id rather listen to Savage Garden rather than Boyzone, Westlife, N-Sync, backstreet Boys, A1, Hearsay, Steps etc etc but I wouldn't choose to listen to them.
Thu 12/07/01 at 09:52
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I would rather nail my scrotum to a table than listen to Westlife etc.

But that's me, I'm strange like that
Thu 12/07/01 at 10:27
Regular
"not dead"
I too would rather become a member of the Genital Mousetrap Circus than I would listen to Westlife.

Or Savage Garden, for that matter.

Doesn't mean that you can't listen to them, and enjoy them though, they're just not my bag...
Thu 12/07/01 at 10:29
Regular
"not dead"
The animal song?

I think I know that one, about wanting to do things like animals.

Wasn't there a line about feeling you from the inside too?

I didn't know that was Savage Garden! ;-)
Thu 12/07/01 at 11:35
They're not my favourite band, not by a long way, nothing comes close to the classics like the Moody Blues, Beatles, Eric Clapton, and Travis are good...
Thu 12/07/01 at 11:45
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> The animal song?

I think I know that one, about wanting to do
> things like animals.

Wasn't there a line about feeling you from
> the inside too?

I didn't know that was Savage Garden! ;-

Ah yes, the classic Savage Garden track "Closer", along with their 2nd hit "Head like a Hole"
Thu 12/07/01 at 11:48
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
SULZEER wrote:
> They're not my favourite band, not by a long way, nothing comes
> close to the classics like the Moody Blues, Beatles, Eric Clapton,
> and Travis are good...

Dude, if you like Savage Garden, stick by your opinions.
Just because I dont like them, doesn't mean they're crap.

My opinion of what is good is different to yours, I doubt you would like a lot of the stuff I listen to.

But because we disagree with you, doesnt mean you're wrong or we're right.
I haven't said "They suck, they are crap", just said that I don't like them.

The tricky thing is (and this goes to a certain poster in this thread), just because you dont like something, doesnt mean it's not any good.
You may not approve, but you don't speak for the rest of the world.

Saying you dont like something is fine, but saying something is wrong and rubbish is...just a little self-important and tastes bad.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.