GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thief 3 Reviews"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Thief 3 : Deadly Shadows'.
Fri 28/05/04 at 14:57
Regular
"A man with a stick"
The first US review score are in for Thief 3, all seem unanimous that it’s a very good game, but not much of a step up from the original two;

Gamespot 8.3

”Like its predecessors, Thief: Deadly Shadows features a memorable protagonist, a great setting, and some very interesting missions.” [URL]http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/thief3/review.html[/URL]

IGN 8.6

” A stellar and mood-defining sound environment, excellent voice work, gorgeous lighting, and a slow-to-build but page-turning story fuel Deadly Shadows to great effect, and it's also fairly long and involved, although there is no multiplayer or modding tools to extend the life of the product. And I know multiplayer could work, as a Thief-styled Unreal 2003 mod proved, where one side was the thieves and the others played the guards, like the MP in Pandora Tomorrow. However, concessions will be made to both get the game out the door in polished form, and to do so for the PC and Xbox. Ion definitely seems to have learned from the issues it encountered in Invisible War and added a highly respectable addition to the Thief series that, while not boldly innovating, holds the franchise bar at least as high. If the environments had been bigger, the thieving missions gradually more complex and challenging, and the story a little quicker to get moving, I'd have little to really complain about. As long as someone can craft a place like Shalebridge Cradle, I'm pretty much a happy camper.” [URL]http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=378549[/URL]

Gamespy 4 out of 5

“As this is the first Thief game from Ion Storm, it was perhaps too much to expect that it would move the franchise forward. Indeed, it's a credit to the developer that, despite the game's problems, it still managed to craft a title that's at least equal to any of the old Looking Glass games. One would hope, though, that the team could look at the mistakes made on this version, move forward and create the incredible five-star game that this franchise is definitely capable of producing. In the meantime, Thief: Deadly Shadows marks the welcome return of Garrett and while a few years have passed, Garrett's moves are as sharp as ever. [URL]http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=377803[/URL]

As a Thief fan I’m glad to hear this new venture wasn’t quite the failure it could have been but disappointed that it’s not quite as successful as it should be. I’ll have to reserve judgment until I play it though, Deus Ex 2 got good reviews and that wasn’t exactly a polished game with many taking a disliking to it. I really hope that Ion storm have at least made an effort to capture the essence of what made the first two thief game so enjoyable to play and not made sacrifices with their join X-Box/PC development.

The demo is due for release soon (in the next day or so I think) and the game itself is due for release in two weeks time. I hope it’s worth the wait; I’ve been dying to see what this sequel will play like for some time I just hope it doesn’t disappoint.
Wed 02/06/04 at 17:00
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I'm glad to see that Ion Storm didn't screw things up like they did with Deus Ex, and the same edge of your seat atmosphere and sneaking about through shadows of the previous games remains in place, as well it should. By the way, you can pre-order it for £18 from the usual place.
Tue 01/06/04 at 11:23
Regular
Got the demo and like it muchly, one for the PC though as the Xbox version has apparently gone all ti*s up. Training level is alrite, a bit easy and it doesn't really serve with a purpose as the controls are piece to pick up and there isn't a great deal to learn.
Sun 30/05/04 at 23:11
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I can do one better, the demo is now available to download [URL]http://www.gamershell.com/download_6062.shtml[/URL] it’s 426MB big mind, but does come with a training level, and one playable mission.
Sat 29/05/04 at 14:20
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
The reviews and screenshots look pretty damn good. I will probably getting this game once I know the specifications.

Have any PC specifications been released yet? I have searched and looked but I have yet to find anything. Thanks
Fri 28/05/04 at 14:57
Regular
"A man with a stick"
The first US review score are in for Thief 3, all seem unanimous that it’s a very good game, but not much of a step up from the original two;

Gamespot 8.3

”Like its predecessors, Thief: Deadly Shadows features a memorable protagonist, a great setting, and some very interesting missions.” [URL]http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/thief3/review.html[/URL]

IGN 8.6

” A stellar and mood-defining sound environment, excellent voice work, gorgeous lighting, and a slow-to-build but page-turning story fuel Deadly Shadows to great effect, and it's also fairly long and involved, although there is no multiplayer or modding tools to extend the life of the product. And I know multiplayer could work, as a Thief-styled Unreal 2003 mod proved, where one side was the thieves and the others played the guards, like the MP in Pandora Tomorrow. However, concessions will be made to both get the game out the door in polished form, and to do so for the PC and Xbox. Ion definitely seems to have learned from the issues it encountered in Invisible War and added a highly respectable addition to the Thief series that, while not boldly innovating, holds the franchise bar at least as high. If the environments had been bigger, the thieving missions gradually more complex and challenging, and the story a little quicker to get moving, I'd have little to really complain about. As long as someone can craft a place like Shalebridge Cradle, I'm pretty much a happy camper.” [URL]http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=378549[/URL]

Gamespy 4 out of 5

“As this is the first Thief game from Ion Storm, it was perhaps too much to expect that it would move the franchise forward. Indeed, it's a credit to the developer that, despite the game's problems, it still managed to craft a title that's at least equal to any of the old Looking Glass games. One would hope, though, that the team could look at the mistakes made on this version, move forward and create the incredible five-star game that this franchise is definitely capable of producing. In the meantime, Thief: Deadly Shadows marks the welcome return of Garrett and while a few years have passed, Garrett's moves are as sharp as ever. [URL]http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=377803[/URL]

As a Thief fan I’m glad to hear this new venture wasn’t quite the failure it could have been but disappointed that it’s not quite as successful as it should be. I’ll have to reserve judgment until I play it though, Deus Ex 2 got good reviews and that wasn’t exactly a polished game with many taking a disliking to it. I really hope that Ion storm have at least made an effort to capture the essence of what made the first two thief game so enjoyable to play and not made sacrifices with their join X-Box/PC development.

The demo is due for release soon (in the next day or so I think) and the game itself is due for release in two weeks time. I hope it’s worth the wait; I’ve been dying to see what this sequel will play like for some time I just hope it doesn’t disappoint.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.