GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What makes a game??????????????"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/07/01 at 18:46
Regular
What makes a game???

This may sound like a stupid question, because everyone knows that it is the companies like Konami and Rare that make them. However this is not what I mean, what I actually mean is what makes you really enjoy a game??? What makes you stay glued to the screen for hours upon hours??? Well there are many answers to these questions, and I am going to discuss them.

One of the main things that a game needs is a story line, but not any old story line, something imaginative. With out a storyline, computer games nowadays just won’t be what we want to keep us entertained. The story line is something that is always present, where ever you are in the game, it is always (well it needs to be doesn’t it??) The story line helps you to enjoy the game, even if it is always the same plot; Kill a mad man and save the world/city. However this is just a minor part of the story, because the best parts unfold on your adventure. Not all games now a days need a storyline however, things like Snake 2 and Bust a Move, because they are not needed, but there is always a goal to reach, this is what makes you play the game.

The next thing would be the Characters. The characters are some thing that is needed in the game because face it without them you wouldn’t be able to play the game. That is not the only reason the characters are there even if it is a vital part, the characters are there for the background story, whether they are good or bad. They help you understand everything in the game, they help you enjoy the game. Not only that, they help with the storyline because as you learn more about them, you start to understand the story, and why everything is happening. There is a lot of work that goes into the Characters and the way they look, and their story, and all this comes from the imagination.

The atmosphere is the next thing (by this I mean the music, the scenery, and the graphics) The atmosphere is another vital thing; it helps you get involved in the game. The music is a part of the atmosphere; the music is needed to make you hear what is happening in the game, whether it is good or bad, the music helps convey the emotions and feeling of the setting. The scenery also helps convey this, because when it is dark, the emotion is also conveyed as sad/evil. The graphics aren’t such an important part in the game, all they do is make it look good, but isn’t that what we all want.

Well all these things are important for the making of a good game, but I believe what is needed is a good imagination. Well think about it, without a good and active imagination what would computer games be like??? Well I can answer that for you, not good at all. Games come from our minds, without our minds (good imagination) games would have failed a long time ago. We have had time to play all these games and our imagination have progressed beyond anything believable, and the present games are good, they have come from another persons imagination, and we have got evolved and grown into this persons mind as you will. In the future when our generation have become game designers, imagine what games our imagination can create, well I have imagined it and it looks promising

So what makes a good game??? Well the answer to that is our imagination, because it makes everything we need in a game.

Thanx for reading

><{{{*> ©
Wed 11/07/01 at 18:46
What makes a game???

This may sound like a stupid question, because everyone knows that it is the companies like Konami and Rare that make them. However this is not what I mean, what I actually mean is what makes you really enjoy a game??? What makes you stay glued to the screen for hours upon hours??? Well there are many answers to these questions, and I am going to discuss them.

One of the main things that a game needs is a story line, but not any old story line, something imaginative. With out a storyline, computer games nowadays just won’t be what we want to keep us entertained. The story line is something that is always present, where ever you are in the game, it is always (well it needs to be doesn’t it??) The story line helps you to enjoy the game, even if it is always the same plot; Kill a mad man and save the world/city. However this is just a minor part of the story, because the best parts unfold on your adventure. Not all games now a days need a storyline however, things like Snake 2 and Bust a Move, because they are not needed, but there is always a goal to reach, this is what makes you play the game.

The next thing would be the Characters. The characters are some thing that is needed in the game because face it without them you wouldn’t be able to play the game. That is not the only reason the characters are there even if it is a vital part, the characters are there for the background story, whether they are good or bad. They help you understand everything in the game, they help you enjoy the game. Not only that, they help with the storyline because as you learn more about them, you start to understand the story, and why everything is happening. There is a lot of work that goes into the Characters and the way they look, and their story, and all this comes from the imagination.

The atmosphere is the next thing (by this I mean the music, the scenery, and the graphics) The atmosphere is another vital thing; it helps you get involved in the game. The music is a part of the atmosphere; the music is needed to make you hear what is happening in the game, whether it is good or bad, the music helps convey the emotions and feeling of the setting. The scenery also helps convey this, because when it is dark, the emotion is also conveyed as sad/evil. The graphics aren’t such an important part in the game, all they do is make it look good, but isn’t that what we all want.

Well all these things are important for the making of a good game, but I believe what is needed is a good imagination. Well think about it, without a good and active imagination what would computer games be like??? Well I can answer that for you, not good at all. Games come from our minds, without our minds (good imagination) games would have failed a long time ago. We have had time to play all these games and our imagination have progressed beyond anything believable, and the present games are good, they have come from another persons imagination, and we have got evolved and grown into this persons mind as you will. In the future when our generation have become game designers, imagine what games our imagination can create, well I have imagined it and it looks promising

So what makes a good game??? Well the answer to that is our imagination, because it makes everything we need in a game.

Thanx for reading

><{{{*> ©
Wed 11/07/01 at 19:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I think Atmosphere is the most important aspect.

I have longers views on this, but not now.
Wed 11/07/01 at 23:19
Well we all have our different opinions.

Well yes it is the atmosphere that makes us enjoy the game when we play it, but with out a persons imagination being like that, the atmosphere would be nothing.

So as I said it is all down to imgination.
Wed 11/07/01 at 23:24
Regular
Did pong have a storyline? (Pong originally called Tennis)
Wed 11/07/01 at 23:30
As i said not all games have storline, but most games now a days do.

Does pong have a goal?? Yes, to get it past your opponent!!!
Wed 11/07/01 at 23:35
All those things youve mentioned play major roles in making a great game. Storylines are vital for RPGs and games such as ResidentEvil, these games wouldnt be half as good without an engrossing storyline.

Chacters play an important part to, its essential that the main character is not alien to you. You have to be able to emphasise with the main characters.

Atmosphere is important, much more than the previous two factors. Atmosphere is what you feel when you play the whole game and applys to every game not just RPGs and the like. Yes even Pong could be said to have a great atmosphere..in its day, down the arcades Pong created an atmosphere that was a key to its success.

We have Pong to thank for making gaming what it is, dont knock it!
Wed 11/07/01 at 23:37
Regular
It is all on money, more money, more effort, longer to make, better in long run.

PD would be awful if it came out when it was supposed to.
Thu 12/07/01 at 00:25
Edgy wrote:
> Did pong have a storyline? (Pong originally called Tennis)

Sure. The evil King Godfrey captured the beautiful princess Zelda, and forced the hero (you) to play in a tennis tournament. If you won ,the princess would be freed and you would live happily ever after... if you lost, you had to try, try again... and be stuck doing the same thing (play tennis) forever.
Thu 12/07/01 at 08:42
Regular
""
A story line and a decent character ready to beat the crap out of an evil dinosaur! MMMWWWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.