GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Yes! Got some viewing to get through..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/07/01 at 17:17
Regular
I few DVD's that I ordered turned up yesterday morning, so I got some viewing to get through when I get the chance.

...And the winning DVD's are;

Unbreakable (R1) - I'm not sure how many of you remember, but I slated this film to the ground. I'm not sure why I bought it, but the appeal of a 2-disc set is always too good to turn down, so I'm giving it another chance to impress me.

Wayne's World 1&2 (R1) - One of my all-time favourite flicks, Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar on DVD for revisited laughs.

Robocop Criterion Edition (R1) - I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Criterion Edition discs, they're generally a bit more expensive than normal DVD's, but Criterion have been putting together some fantastic packages of classic films since the Laser Disc days. They're
doing it with DVD's now, and with this they've brought out the UNCUT version of Robocop, in other words, the cut originally submitted which would've been granted an 'X' due to the excessive gorey nature of the film. That is, until
the film was recut to be deemed an 'R' rating.

./Steve
Wed 11/07/01 at 17:17
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I few DVD's that I ordered turned up yesterday morning, so I got some viewing to get through when I get the chance.

...And the winning DVD's are;

Unbreakable (R1) - I'm not sure how many of you remember, but I slated this film to the ground. I'm not sure why I bought it, but the appeal of a 2-disc set is always too good to turn down, so I'm giving it another chance to impress me.

Wayne's World 1&2 (R1) - One of my all-time favourite flicks, Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar on DVD for revisited laughs.

Robocop Criterion Edition (R1) - I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Criterion Edition discs, they're generally a bit more expensive than normal DVD's, but Criterion have been putting together some fantastic packages of classic films since the Laser Disc days. They're
doing it with DVD's now, and with this they've brought out the UNCUT version of Robocop, in other words, the cut originally submitted which would've been granted an 'X' due to the excessive gorey nature of the film. That is, until
the film was recut to be deemed an 'R' rating.

./Steve
Wed 11/07/01 at 17:42
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Criterion are gods - always have been too :) Used to make great Laser disks and now are getting even more popular as they grab DVD rights and use the same stuff form their Laser Disks to make great DVDs.

Highlights of the Criterion DVD experience...

The Third Man

Brilliant transfer. While this film is an undoubted classic it used to be very hard to get to see it with any sort of picture or sound quality. Criterion's own guys have done a brilliant transfer with resored image and sound - they even have a documentary about how they did it on teh disk. Also, an indroduction from the director, the alternate opening, photos, trailers. Then there is the good bit - the radio play of The Third Man! What an extra! - who came up with the inspired idea to put that on the DVD? Top disk.

The Silence of the Lambs

This disk has been deleted as there is about to be a "proper" colectors edition of this disk released. Sad thing? It's not a patch on this disk. Commentary by just about everbody involved in the film, deleted scenes and storyboards. Then there are the really good extras (again: inspired, how did they come up with the idea to put this stuff on the DVD?). Theres an FBI crime classification manual and loads of stuff about other serial killers in the same area as Hanibal.

The Life of Brian

Like The Third Man - a fresh and very good transfer of the film. Then - two commentaries, one by Gilliam, Idle and Jones, the other by Cleese and Palin. There are also some very funny deleted scenes and radio ads. Finally a suprisingly good documentary - "The Pythons".

Brazil

Wooohooo - three disk edition of a wonderful film. Highlight is that it includes both versions of the film (if anyone knows the story of Brazils production you'll understand why that's good). Then there is just a stupid number of extras - mostly absolutely brilliant - loads of documentaries and two commentary tracks.

Do The Right Thing

Only just got this... looks good though.

Chasing Amy

Commentaries - a Kevin Smith commentary. 'nuff said :) Oh, also the usual Viewaskew slew of out takes etc.

Only bad thing is that they cost a little more, but I guess this is more than made up for by the huge mountain of quality extras. Also, you'll rarely find and "filler" rubbish like you get on normal disks - you know the stuff - the re-edited promotional material passed off as an "in-depth look at the film making process" on teh back of the box.

In short, Criterion = Good. They also have a great Beastie Boys DVD and a fantastic edition of Sparticus. Am I making it clear that I quite like Criterion?
Wed 11/07/01 at 17:43
Unbreakable is quite a good film. There's too much emotion between Bruce and his wife, but ignoring that it's cool.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.