GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAMECUBE: The Thing"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/07/01 at 08:09
Regular
I've just heard that Konami are in the process of developing a game based upon the movie 'The Thing'. This is fantastic news, as the movie was superb, and a game could help to boost the developing 'horror' genre, especially for Nintendo.

Those that know nothing of the film, may like to know that it is about basic story. I'm assuming that it will be based around John Carpenters version of a classic short story "Who Goes There?", and the second version of the story to be made into a film.

The opening scenes show a space-ship crash to Earth in the Antarctic. Then a bunch of Norweigans in a helicopter are shooting at a dog as it runs through the snow. The Norwegians lose control of the helicopter and crash. The dog arrives at a manned American weather station, and is put in with the rest of the dogs.

It turns out that the 'dog' is actually a shape shifting alien, and in this lies the wonder of the movie, and hopefully the game.

As the alien can take on any form, you never really know who the alien is, or when it's going to strike next. With your typical survival horror you know your enemy, it's the zombies in the streets, here the enemy could be anyone, and you just have to wait for them to attack.

If the game is in the right hands, and Konami have some very talented producers working for them, then this game could bring something new and refreshing to horror gaming, invoking paranoia in the player, not being able to trust any of the other characters.

The movie had some stunning special effects, and I expect to see these recreated in the game, in all their glory. To see a severed head spout legs and run under a table would be really, really cool!
Thu 12/07/01 at 19:25
Very exciting. I tcould rival Eternal Darkness in terms of scariness.
Thu 12/07/01 at 13:43
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
I would also like to see the blob turned into a game, that would be awsome, mind you not the shoddy kurt russel remake the oringinal with the man Steve McQueen.
Thu 12/07/01 at 10:17
Regular
"not dead"
I don't want to get anyones hopes up. No details about the game have been released yet, but it is a licence with a great deal of potential.

If Konami manage to release it's potential, it could be a real genre defining game, and a benchmark for all future horror games!
Wed 11/07/01 at 14:24
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
its on my shopping list for 2003!
Wed 11/07/01 at 08:24
sounds good!
Wed 11/07/01 at 08:09
Regular
"not dead"
I've just heard that Konami are in the process of developing a game based upon the movie 'The Thing'. This is fantastic news, as the movie was superb, and a game could help to boost the developing 'horror' genre, especially for Nintendo.

Those that know nothing of the film, may like to know that it is about basic story. I'm assuming that it will be based around John Carpenters version of a classic short story "Who Goes There?", and the second version of the story to be made into a film.

The opening scenes show a space-ship crash to Earth in the Antarctic. Then a bunch of Norweigans in a helicopter are shooting at a dog as it runs through the snow. The Norwegians lose control of the helicopter and crash. The dog arrives at a manned American weather station, and is put in with the rest of the dogs.

It turns out that the 'dog' is actually a shape shifting alien, and in this lies the wonder of the movie, and hopefully the game.

As the alien can take on any form, you never really know who the alien is, or when it's going to strike next. With your typical survival horror you know your enemy, it's the zombies in the streets, here the enemy could be anyone, and you just have to wait for them to attack.

If the game is in the right hands, and Konami have some very talented producers working for them, then this game could bring something new and refreshing to horror gaming, invoking paranoia in the player, not being able to trust any of the other characters.

The movie had some stunning special effects, and I expect to see these recreated in the game, in all their glory. To see a severed head spout legs and run under a table would be really, really cool!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.