GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Difficulty"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/07/01 at 00:10
Regular
6 months ago I wrote my first Gameaday winning post, Frustration. It was about how games can get really frustrating like No mercy which I have thrown out of my window several times due to frustration and I asked is there anyway developers can avoid frustration. Well 6 months later it finally hit me (and I have the bruises to prove it), AI.

No wait, don’t go, get your cursor off that future of gaming prime topics link! Much better. No this isn’t another boring topic about AI it is about their difficulty (I said move that cursor!). To be honest easy, normal and hard isn’t always enough, I am really good at Perfect Dark and found it easy (even Perfect agent) but my friend finds agent so hard he can’t do it! This has caused him to hate the game and to be honest I know if it was a little easier for him he would love it!

Perfect Dark though does have a mode that is perfect (boom boom) for him, the Perfect Dark option that gives the player the option to fiddle with the AI of the guards! Goldeneye did the same with 007 mode. The only problem with this you needed to do Perfect Agent or 00 agent in order to get it so not so good players can’t get them!

Many developers have increased the amount of difficulty levels recently with “extra hard” mode or “Beginner” but surly a percentage bar where you can set the AI’s ability in comparison to your own would be a lot more accurate? The easy, normal and hard modes won’t be gone though as in games such as Perfect Dark normal and hard require extra missions to be done so the level can be completed.

But maybe someone out there has managed to complete all Goldeneye levels in 00 agent except Aztec, just too hard and his dream of getting 007 mode goes down the drain. If only he could make the guards 1% easier he might do it. Gone are the days of reviews criticizing a game for being too easy or too hard! Now games can appeal to beginners and expert gamers so a wider audience can enjoy the same game! Rare might be onto something with the ability to fiddle with AI and maybe we should see more percentage bars in the options menu in the future!

Dringo
Wed 11/07/01 at 00:10
Regular
6 months ago I wrote my first Gameaday winning post, Frustration. It was about how games can get really frustrating like No mercy which I have thrown out of my window several times due to frustration and I asked is there anyway developers can avoid frustration. Well 6 months later it finally hit me (and I have the bruises to prove it), AI.

No wait, don’t go, get your cursor off that future of gaming prime topics link! Much better. No this isn’t another boring topic about AI it is about their difficulty (I said move that cursor!). To be honest easy, normal and hard isn’t always enough, I am really good at Perfect Dark and found it easy (even Perfect agent) but my friend finds agent so hard he can’t do it! This has caused him to hate the game and to be honest I know if it was a little easier for him he would love it!

Perfect Dark though does have a mode that is perfect (boom boom) for him, the Perfect Dark option that gives the player the option to fiddle with the AI of the guards! Goldeneye did the same with 007 mode. The only problem with this you needed to do Perfect Agent or 00 agent in order to get it so not so good players can’t get them!

Many developers have increased the amount of difficulty levels recently with “extra hard” mode or “Beginner” but surly a percentage bar where you can set the AI’s ability in comparison to your own would be a lot more accurate? The easy, normal and hard modes won’t be gone though as in games such as Perfect Dark normal and hard require extra missions to be done so the level can be completed.

But maybe someone out there has managed to complete all Goldeneye levels in 00 agent except Aztec, just too hard and his dream of getting 007 mode goes down the drain. If only he could make the guards 1% easier he might do it. Gone are the days of reviews criticizing a game for being too easy or too hard! Now games can appeal to beginners and expert gamers so a wider audience can enjoy the same game! Rare might be onto something with the ability to fiddle with AI and maybe we should see more percentage bars in the options menu in the future!

Dringo
Wed 11/07/01 at 00:11
Regular
So what do you think 6 months in development!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wed 11/07/01 at 00:17
Greeeaaaaaaaaaaatttttt! Post!
Wed 11/07/01 at 00:21
Regular
Thanks Dan and you ahve dissapeared off MSN again?
Wed 11/07/01 at 00:28
Ah yes, I have signed out, and I am now happily sleeping, weightlifting and typing at the same time.

Multitasking is a wonderful thing...
Wed 11/07/01 at 00:34
Regular
ok now i'm scared! Your weightlifting obsession worries me!
Wed 11/07/01 at 00:44
It's called having paid out £200 on weightlifting stuff, and making the most of them!
Anyway, I am never usually tired when I go to bed, so by doing them now, I fall asleep easily.
Wed 11/07/01 at 00:47
Regular
And you drop a heavyweight on you as you nod off. :)

I don't weight lift etc... i just eat and eat get a little fat then lose it all playing footbal and other sports.
Wed 11/07/01 at 00:49
Regular
same here, i spent bout £300 on weightlifting stuff last summer and only use it just before i go to sleep.
Wed 11/07/01 at 00:59
Regular
Now back to the post...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.