GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Subdomain URL masking"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 28/11/09 at 09:56
Regular
Hi,

Is it possible to mask a subdomain url redirect?

I have one that redirects to my beta directory and would prefer it to just say the subdomain after redirect.

The target url is my VIP+ domain, however the subdomain is not.

Neil
Wed 02/12/09 at 21:38
Regular
Thanks for looking into that for me.

N.
Wed 02/12/09 at 14:24
Staff
Neilj99 wrote:
> Yup - I'm using a 301 to go from
>
> x.sitename.com to
> www/sitename.com/beta
>
> I'd like x.sitename.com to remain in the address bar.
>
> N.

I've looked into this a few times, does not look like it is possible without support being written into the hosting wizard and server scripts to create a subfolder along with appropriate apache conf files to point the subdomain to. Not sure about the proxy solution that Hmmm mentions, though again it would need support written into the scripts (or configuration changes made to the server).

I'll put option to go to subdomains on as a feature request and see if there's any likelihood of it being implemented, it was mentioned as something we would consider when we first launched VIP hosting, and although I'm not a programmer, I don't think it would be particularly hard to implement.

At the moment though using either a php script or a .htaccess to redirect is the only solution possible, and that obviously will change the url.
Wed 02/12/09 at 09:33
Regular
Yup - I'm using a 301 to go from

x.sitename.com to
www/sitename.com/beta

I'd like x.sitename.com to remain in the address bar.

N.
Tue 01/12/09 at 13:40
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I assumed you were referring to framed or non-framed. But as Hmmm.... said more details might be handy.
Tue 01/12/09 at 13:34
"Are you sure?"
Hi Neilj99,
I'm not sure if I've understood you properly - or if this is only a VIP query. Perhaps you could explain a bit more?

Are you using a 301 redirect?

I don't think you can 'mask' actual URLs unless you 'FRAME' the site - might be wrong though :¬)

EDIT: Looks like you may be able to use 'mod rewrite' to do what you want - I haven't done this myself, but I'm sure someone like Eccles will be able to explain.

EDIT again: It's the mod rewrite P rule (Proxy) that would seem to be the key - but I'm not sure if Freeola have the Proxy Module available?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 01/12/09 at 13:26
Regular
Any ideas?

N.
Sat 28/11/09 at 09:56
Regular
Hi,

Is it possible to mask a subdomain url redirect?

I have one that redirects to my beta directory and would prefer it to just say the subdomain after redirect.

The target url is my VIP+ domain, however the subdomain is not.

Neil

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.